1920's yard hunts

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I hunted a 1920's (maybe older) duplex house that had a very small yard. The back was maybe 15'x30' and the front was about 15'x20'.

I only had about a hour and much of that time was spent talking to the occupant.

I think I am the first one to hunt this home as targets were everywhere. I hunted in mostly BASIC program, occasionally switching over to other programs to compare signals. The first 4 coins in a row I dug were wheaties and then the 4 leaf clover charm. Wheats were 4-7 inches deep. All shallower target that I dug were modern coins.

The old coin to new coin ratio was about 2 to 1 so I am pretty pumped about this site.

I also dug a rabbit (playdough?) cookie cutter and a old Matchbox Mercedes wagon in really good shape.

5 of the wheats were early 1940's and 3 were mid 50's.

For the short time I was there, I am very happy with the results. Since this yard is so small, my plan is to pound it with the Deus till I don't get any more targets and then hit it with my E-Trac.....and then increase coil size on both and do it over again.

I know there has to be silver there, I just didn't run my coil over it yet. And the more I hunt and become familiar with the Deus, I am sure better targets will start showing up.

It should be interesting to compare results.

I will post my ongoing finds to just this thread, so if this doesn't interest you, you can just ignore future posts in this thread.

new finds2.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The only issue I have with BASIC preset program is that the silencer setting is at 2 (for reactivity 2) which kills depth (also I prefer Disc to be lower and of course I like full tones vice the 3 Tone default). Even though you were pulling some deep wheaties, you may be missing some deeper targets because of the stupid silencer default setting. Silencer should be at "-1" (i.e., off) which is where it is for DEUS FAST preset program and why I recommend it as the baseline program, or at most 0 in order to not affect depth. Silencer is an expert setting under reactivity and must be adjusted (readjusted) to -1 or 0 after every adjustment of reactivity because it auto sets to a higher number depending on the reactivity setting as shown below. If the DEUS FAST default reactivity setting of 3 is too high, adjust to 2.5 (Ver 4 only) or 2 and then go adjust Silencer to -1 or 0.

Reactivity/Silencer Default Setting
0/3
1/3
2/2
2.5/2 (Ver 4 only)
3/2
4/1
5/1

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, If I understand you right, for just coin shooting w/V4, I should set up as follows-

Deus fast program

Adjust reactivity to 2.5 then adjust silencer to -1 or 0

Change to multi tones

What about freq? drop it down from default Deus Fast?

Anything else?

I am going back tomorrow and hopefully dig some silver.

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, If I understand you right, for just coin shooting w/V4, I should set up as follows-

Deus fast program

Adjust reactivity to 2.5 then adjust silencer to -1 or 0

Change to multi tones

What about freq? drop it down from default Deus Fast?

Anything else?

I am going back tomorrow and hopefully dig some silver.

Thanks

Yes. Deus Fast - set to 8 khz (or 12 khz if you are getting interference) vs. the default frequency of 18 khz which is optimal for tiny, mid-conductive targets like small jewelry and hammered coins which are found mainly in the UK and Europe (18K is a good choice if you are looking for small jewelry at the beach and may also better detect edge on coins in the ground) but the tradeoff is less depth than the lower frequencies. Deus fast has reactivity set to 2.5 and Silencer already set to -1 by default (hence why I like it as the starting point for my custom programs). Use full tones vice multi (i.e., 3, 4. or 5) tones, that way you get ~ 32 tones over the entire Target ID range and do not have to manually set any tone breaks. If you want to maximize depth than go to 4 khz, but that locks TX Power at 3 which may be counterproductive in highly mineralized soils and also you may miss smaller targets like small jewelry and nearly edge on coins. Also, set disc to less anything less than 10 (I actually like full negative Disc because then there is no target discrimination filtering applied but you will hear everything in the ground that distorts the coil field including some ceramics and hot rocks).

If you really want to clean out that site, grid search it with all four Deus frequencies in two different directions (that's like hitting it with four different detectors). Pull all ferrous and aluminum junk you find during your gridding as that can unmask deeper keeper targets. Once the Deus stops producing, go ahead and grid it with the eTrac to see if there is anything left as your "fifth" detector. You might be hard pressed to find anything, but there may be a few targets missed by the Deus that the eTrac will see because of the different coil and FBS signal processing plus the eTrac will perform better with the trash out of the way since it has a lower recovery speed and less separation than the Deus. Have fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks.

I just saved that program #11 @ 8khz and should be able to report back later today. Heading out to hit some beach/surf areas and the 1920 house hopefully.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back today for about 1 1/2 hours or so.

Using the modified programs I had a ton of interference, I think it was the wi-fi systems of the 4 houses that were pretty close. Had to do some freq shifting as I moved about the yard or else there was constant chatter.

I dug most targets and was pretty impressed as multiple times there was 2 pieces of iron with a coin.

I wish the plated spoons were sterling but no such luck.

Wheaties were teens, twenties and early 40's. The gold plated button got my attention sitting at the bottom of the hole .

I included a pic of the junk I dug.

I Plan on giving the lawn a chance to heal up a little bit and will return after some rain.

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7486.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread