I Ordered A Set Of WS4 Headphones

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a set of WS5 already and a remote, but I want the puck to attach to a set of headphones that will cut down on the surrounding noise. I do a lot of detecting near busy streets and intersections. All that noise from those vehicles is driving me nuts! My Killer B Wasp Headphones that I use with my other detectors knock out most of the surrounding noise, but my WS5 headphones hardly reduces any of the surrounding noise. Also having the WS4 Backphones should be somewhat cooler when used at sites that are away from the street noise. Thoughts?

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman,

Great move.

The WS4's open up a myriad of possibilities.

First, they are themselves weatherproof so you can use them in a downpoor without fear.

Second, the WS4 puck can be attached to a relatively inexpensive audio jack adapter plate to provide a neans for you to connect your Killer B's headphones directly to the puck. Put the puck into a shirt pocket or armband and you are wireless using your favorite wired headset.

Finally, if you are going to purchase a 3rd party set of over the ear headphones that have a built-in WS4 adapter, I recomnend the Deteknix WS4 compatible phones. Reasonable price, great sound, comfortable, they look great (the WS4 adapter connection is recessed such that the puck looks like a natural part of the phones instead sticking out awkwardly to the side), water resistant like the WS4 and as an added bonus they come with an audio in jack and cable so you can use them in a wired configuration too. Other 3rd party phones include Vance Muffs which sound great but the headgear is a little tight and they cost up to 50% more than the Deteknix with fewer features (i.e. not weather resistant, no audio in, less comfort). I do not recommend the Gray Ghosts as the sound is muddy. I think all three do a pretty good job with external ambient noise.

Hope this helps.

mstreenz

Apr 30, 2017
Downs, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, AT Pro, GTI 1500, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman,

Great move.

The WS4's open up a myriad of possibilities.

First, they are themselves weatherproof so you can use them in a downpoor without fear.

Second, the WS4 puck can be attached to a relatively inexpensive audio jack adapter plate to provide a neans for you to connect your Killer B's headphones directly to the puck. Put the puck into a shirt pocket or armband and you are wireless using your favorite wired headset.

Finally, if you are going to purchase a 3rd party set of over the ear headphones that have a built-in WS4 adapter, I recomnend the Deteknix WS4 compatible phones. Reasonable price, great sound, comfortable, they look great (the WS4 adapter connection is recessed such that the puck looks like a natural part of the phones instead sticking out awkwardly to the side), water resistant like the WS4 and as an added bonus they come with an audio in jack and cable so you can use them in a wired configuration too. Other 3rd party phones include Vance Muffs which sound great but the headgear is a little tight and they cost up to 50% more than the Deteknix with fewer features (i.e. not weather resistant, no audio in, less comfort). I do not recommend the Gray Ghosts as the sound is muddy. I think all three do a pretty good job with external ambient noise.

Hope this helps.

I have the WS4's but rarely use them because of wind etc... When I purchased the Deus a couple years ago I immediately got Gray Ghosts headphones to use with it. Vferrari, I've not had any issues with my Gray Ghosts but maybe I don't know any better. Can you explain what "muddy" means?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the WS4's but rarely use them because of wind etc... When I purchased the Deus a couple years ago I immediately got Gray Ghosts headphones to use with it. Vferrari, I've not had any issues with my Gray Ghosts but maybe I don't know any better. Can you explain what "muddy" means?

Sure thing. There was a noticeable difference between the way the tones sounded using the WS4 backphones and the Gray Ghosts. The tones were not as bright to me with the Gray Ghosts. That is, the Gray Ghosts had seemingly narrower frequency response and the overall sound seemed muffled resulting in inability to clearly hear the subtle tonal nuances at the leading and trailing edge of the tone which clue you in as to what you are targeting.

As an example, a nice round nickel, gold band, or deformed pull tab will ring up with similar target ID numbers and tone frequency but the nickel and gold band tone will typically be sweet and pure without any leading and trailing edge distorted artifacts (unless they are close to and overloading the coil) that will typically characterize a deformed pull tab. I found these tonal nuances to be very difficult to pick up on using the Gray Ghosts but the tonality of the WS4 backphones, the Deteknix phones and the Vance Muffs seem much clearer to me. I think others have reported similar experiences with the Gray Ghosts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I like the suggestion of getting an adapter and plugging my favorite headphones into it. The WS5 headphones don't work well at all around a bunch of noise. I never realized just how much noise pollution there is until I started metal detecting busy streets. Some of it is just uncalled for.

tabman

Last edited:

mstreenz

Apr 30, 2017
Downs, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, AT Pro, GTI 1500, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks vferrari for the helpful response. Looks like I will need to get my WS4's out and do some testing. I do have the 3.5 adapter so I have many options. Thanks again!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a pair of the Deteknix Headphones and the WS4 puck was so difficult to remove that I had to tool them out.
So I ended up shaving some of the restrictive plastic off the clip-in area of the HPs so I could slide them out easier.
Other than that they are very comfortable.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see the Deus is treating you well and looks like a keeper for you!

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I managed to kill the 1/4 plug on my Killer B's, so I plan to mod them to work with the puck.

I have been enjoying the back-phones in the heat though.

Here's a link to the adapter on ebay. xp deus adapter | eBay

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a version of the headphone adapter that has a 1/4inch jack so you don't have to use a plug adapter on normal md headphones. Can't remember where I saw that.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think there is a version of the headphone adapter that has a 1/4inch jack so you don't have to use a plug adapter on normal md headphones. Can't remember where I saw that.

Yep, those are the ones that I ordered from eBay. They look very well made and will be easier to pocket without having to use a plug adapter.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread