Underwater Components ?

flysar

Mar 8, 2013
WA
Detector(s) used
Current: Equinox 800, Makro Gold Racer, Fisher CZ-20, various Tesoro's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that own the underwater kit, does the antenna just attach to the back of the case and it's the close proximity that provides the connection to the remote or puck?
I bought some RG179 coax wire for some shallow freshwater detection and it works great with the receiver above water.
I want to try it underwater/snorkel so I'll need an armband and underwater buds so thought I'd pick up an aftermarket set if all I have to do is attach the wire to the case back with tape or epoxy.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to use the entire detector fully submerged, then yeah, you just need to get the antenna as close to the remote as possible to eliminate any attenuation through the water. The official case max depth is 10 to 16 ft (depends on what site you get the specs from - hmm). Frankly, I would trust it only to keep the remote splashproof or safe if I got knocked over into the water by a wave or fell (i.e., intermittent submersion). I don't think I could trust it for continuous submersion of my $800 remote regardless of the depth. Even with warranty coverage, who needs the headache. But that's just me. Also, I've found that having to keep the antenna in close proximity to the case is a little kludgy unless the case remains mounted to the stem (i.e., having to run the antenna to the case in "armband" mode and having to run wired phones from the case is just too many wires floating around - let us know if you figured out a better arrangement). If the case remains mounted to the stem (hard case) then you need to use the wireless phones. I just kind of gave up on fully submersing the Deus as I have the luxury of using an Excal II for submerged detecting, which besides being made for water work, is more stable in salt water conditions than the Deus. I see you have a CTX AND an Infinium and are attempting to do this anyway so the Deus must be working well for you.

It is feasible, so I don't want to be a Debbie Downer as you may have some more innovative ideas on how to run the wires than I did. So let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flysar

flysar

Mar 8, 2013
WA
Detector(s) used
Current: Equinox 800, Makro Gold Racer, Fisher CZ-20, various Tesoro's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a few water machines, CTX, CZ, Infinium so why the Deus - backpacking in light to some lakes and streams; bulk as well as weight, I thought even lighter & more compact if I take just the lower stem & coil.
Its either that or pick up a Deteknix Scuba Tector so why not try to configure what I have?
I'm assuming I can also use the puck with the 3.5mm adapter inside the waterproof case as well.
Figure if it doesn't work out I'll only be out $30-40 instead of $70.
The Deus, I'm still mixed... in my highly mineralized ground the CTX gets better depth with better ID but the Deus excels around iron & is about 3.5 lbs lighter, my shoulder and neck appreciates that.
Thanks for the feedback & I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You only need to have the cable in close to the remote, I tuck the end in between the dry bag and the arm band. The underwater kit comes with some stick-on brackets to hold the end of the cable but i haven't used them yet.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Deus underwater kit and the antenna does have to be very close to the remote for it to work. I tuck the antenna wire behind the arm strap in the waterproof remote pouch. I've had times where things get really quiet and I realize the antenna has fallen out from behind the remote. Like vferrari said, I don't trust that XP remote pouch though! My water hunting is typically waist to chest deep, so really it protects it from splash and quick dips under. The main reason I bought the XP waterproof kit, over making my own, was another member on here had one and the remote pouch failed while under water and trashed his remote. XP replaced the remote and pouch under warranty. So my decision to buy XP's $60 underwater kit, was really a cheap insurance policy to protect me in case of a failure. If I had the remote underwater in an Aryca case (which is MUCH better made than XPs) and it failed on me, I am sure it would void the warranty on that expensive remote.

I hunt in the water a few times a year. I hunt on land 99% of the time. If those percentages sway and I am in the water a dozen or more times a year, I will buy a water machine. I feel like using the Deus as a water machine is suitable for someone who primarily land hunts, but maybe wants to hunt the water every now and then. Dealing with antenna wires and headphone wires when using the Deus in the water is acceptable when done infrequently. But if I was going to primarily hunt the water, I wouldn't pick the Deus as my machine of choice. I am actually trying water hunting more this year with my Deus, and if I like it a lot, I will probably buy one of the Garrett AT machines this fall as my water machine for next year. I obviously prefer the Deus, but it would be nice to have a machine that is truly made to be tossed into a river right out of the box!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am actually trying water hunting more this year with my Deus, and if I like it a lot, I will probably buy one of the Garrett AT machines this fall as my water machine for next year. I obviously prefer the Deus, but it would be nice to have a machine that is truly made to be tossed into a river right out of the box!

If it were me I wouldn't even mess with the ATM. You already have a great land machine....which narrows the criteria to water. I would get a water machine that would be good for fresh AND salt water. That way all the bases will be covered. Unless you think the ATM will outperform your XP for some reason.

I think you will really enjoy water hunting. I know I do. The digging is much easier on a beach lol.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were me I wouldn't even mess with the ATM. You already have a great land machine....which narrows the criteria to water. I would get a water machine that would be good for fresh AND salt water. That way all the bases will be covered. Unless you think the ATM will outperform your XP for some reason.

I think you will really enjoy water hunting. I know I do. The digging is much easier on a beach lol.

Thanks man... good info. I wanted to give it this season to see how I like it before I buy a true waterproof machine. I know everyone is different and everyone has different interests... and this may sounds nuts to many people, but I'd rather dig flat buttons than a gold ring. haha So for me personally, I wont beach hunt (tried it in the past) My water hunting will be in creeks and rivers looking for relics... So that's the only reason I lean more towards one of the AT machines. I definitely don't think an AT machine will outperform my Deus, but depending on how this season goes, it may be nice to have a waterproof relic machine that I can just toss in the water without having to put it in bags and run the antenna wire. I have used my GPX to relic hunt in tidal mud flats with great success, but other than that, I don't see myself getting into salt water. If I only "sort of" like water hunting after this season, then I'll just stick with the Deus for the couple times a year I use it... but if I really like relic hunting in creeks and rivers, then I may look into something more suited for that. My knowledge on water machines is limited, so perhaps there is something better suited than an AT machine for relic hunting in rivers.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see your point. Yeah you should be able to find some nice relics in rivers after doing some research on locations. There's a guy on YouTube that does that (forget his name) but he finds all kinds of neat stuff.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, put the Whites MX Sport on your relic water machine list. I know it gets a bad rap but they have the bugs worked out now and having had both machines, prefer it to the AT Pro (I can read the display better, it has a threshhold control even in discriminate mode, a nice concentric coil option, to name but a few pros) The AT Max may give it a run for its money, but I ironically learned my lesson on early adoption with the MX sport (had to send it in for the firmware fix) so the AT Max is more than a year away from completing its shakedown cruise IMO (i.e. give it a year after release before making the plunge). In any event, for those few relic runs in the creek, the Deus + water kit fits the bill. For beach surf runs, Excal II, baby!

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using mine in knee deep or less water and loving it. I plan on setting it up with a longer antenna wire and putting the control box in a waterproof cellphone case and wear it on my upper arm. I will run the wire up my arm up into the case. That should allow me to hunt up to 5" deep water and that should cover most of the area where people lose stuff.

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the waterproof kit from XP and used it once. Now I just leave the remote on shore, wear the backphones which are supposed to be water resistant and tuck the antenna wire under my hat band on the puck side. Works great for me up to shoulder deep, I do have to wear a weight belt to be able to uses a sand scoop on water more than rib deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread