First thoughts and review of the new XP Deus elliptical coil.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Electromagnetic fields are defined by fairly complex mathematics, actually. The size of the coil area of the DD determines the depth of the coil but not appreciably the narrow width of the active region.

2. XP only makes DD coils for the Deus, so , um, yes I know the HF coils are DD. That is why my whole discussion is about DD coils and the narrow side-to-side detection field which I attempted to illustrate (albeit poorly). Same is not true for coaxial coils where the elliptical shape does narrow the width of the field, increasing separation.

3. If you are actually interested in what a DD coil field looks like and have Andy Sabisch's Deus Handbook, he goes through a brief tutorial of the DD coil field. He doesn't describe the difference between a circular and elliptical DD but describes the difference between a DD and a coaxial coil. And as I said before, a google search will turn up several similar illustrations.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this is the point I was trying to make, and I'll post a video when I get time....take a nail and put a dime an inch away from it...Deus picks it up no problem....Ok ....now put another nail, say 4 inches away from the dime...so now you have dime and nail close and another nail 4" away....if the east/west edge of the coil hits the nail that's 4" away from the other nail and dime, that's under the center of the coil, you will lose your high tone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh, agree the difference in side-to-side separation improvement may only be fraction of an inch whereas on a coaxial coil the difference in separation between an elliptical and circular may be a few inches. That was my point.

Deft Tones, I think you are correct in the coil field description details. I am talking about the already narrow V field only getting slightly narrower. Never heard that thumbrule on ellipticàl coil depth capability. Interesting...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this is the point I was trying to make, and I'll post a video when I get time....take a nail and put a dime an inch away from it...Deus picks it up no problem....Ok ....now put another nail, say 4 inches away from the dime...so now you have dime and nail close and another nail 4" away....if the east/west edge of the coil hits the nail that's 4" away from the other nail and dime, that's under the center of the coil, you will lose your high tone.

Interesting. That may be an effect related to distorting the DD cancellation field and in that case, the elliptical would help because it might avoid the far nail.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine will be here tommorrow will do some test with it.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine will be here tommorrow will do some test with it.
Let us know what you find out, please. Thinking of sending mine back in the morning for a replacement. It's bad when your MI-6 pinpointer gets almost the same depth as your coil.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I hope its a hardware problem/defect. Although a hassle to deal with better than a defective or underperforming design. Need some more real world data from folks like Calabash.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no Clabash but I just got my coil charged up, air test, R2, S2, 14 khz, hitting penny at 8" silver dime 8", nickel 10", large cent 10"....ill mess with gold later.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the higher frequencys?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would love if it was just a defective coil, I feel bad for laidback but there might be some hope at the end of the rainbow

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the higher frequencys?

28.8 kHz
LC 9"
Penny 9"
Buffalo 11.5"
Silver dime (canadian) 9"

74 kHz
LC 8"
Penny 7"
Buffalo 11.5 -12"
Silver dime 7"

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no Clabash but I just got my coil charged up, air test, R2, S2, 14 khz, hitting penny at 8" silver dime 8", nickel 10", large cent 10"....ill mess with gold later.

Yeah, that's way more than I'm getting... Almost guarantee I got a bad coil.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it unfortunately....im sure XP will make it right for you.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to wait to see what Calabash says...just kidding. That's good news, Tedyoh. When you get a chance see if the separation is improved vs. the round 9" legacy or HF.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
28.8 kHz
LC 9"
Penny 9"
Buffalo 11.5"
Silver dime (canadian) 9"

74 kHz
LC 8"
Penny 7"
Buffalo 11.5 -12"
Silver dime 7"

This is good news thanks for the tests.

Anyone up for a monte nail board test?

I cant wait to try this at a site where the EMI is killer.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice how that mid-conductor nickel depth went UP with frequency while all the high conductors went down - just as you would expect for HF. Bodes well for gold and relic brass/small lead. Cool.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to wait to see what Calabash says...just kidding. That's good news, Tedyoh. When you get a chance see if the separation is improved vs. the round 9" legacy or HF.

His test garden is much more in depth than mine so I as well am looking forward to his results! Thunderstorms today so I will try to mess around with separation tomorrow.
I did do 2 more air tests....kinda surprised by the results

14 kHz
1856 $2.5 gold dollar (love token actually, size of a dime)
9" solid VDI 64
.54 cal Minnie ball 9"

28.8 kHz
Gold coin 10" (solid 77 VDI)
.54 Minnie ball 10"

74 kHz
Gold coin 9" (solid VDI 88) I though the coin would read deeper?
.54 Minnie ball 10.5"

Looks like best depth for gold coins anyway is in 28.8 kHz

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh thanks for posting that ive been sitting here biting my nails.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice how that mid-conductor nickel depth went UP with frequency while all the high conductors went down - just as you would expect for HF. Bodes well for gold and relic brass/small lead. Cool.

wonder how much edge that will give me with pewter buttons?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread