Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new coil came today and I took it to the 1817 home site. The coil was able to unmask some targets in areas where I had pounded with the nine inch coil. It was all junk but it showed it will unmask very well, I ran it in 28 kh and it made the site come alive. When I got home I took it to the test garden and put it on the merc dime in iron and it pulled it out great. I then tested it on the deep targets it will hit a 9 1/2 inch merc ,10 inch silver quarter, 12 inch silver half, and a 8 inch flat button. The coil is deep and is VERY stable in my garden and emi is always a issue with the old coils . I am very impressed to say the least. One more thing I put the coil over the 10 inch quarter and was hitting it in 14 kh and engaged the ground notch and it disappeared , it would not hit the quarter in 28 kh but would hit the 12 inch silver half. The coil does like to false on the tips of square nails but I need to spend some time with it to get a feel for its audio and will try it with version 3 filters too. I will have videos up in a few days of it doing these things.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, on ground notch did you see the same thing with the 9" legacy coil on the 10" quarter and ground notch? Not that it matters much, I do not like to engage anything that will adversely affect depth, but wonder if its an HF coil thing.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a test on a 12 inch silver quarter with the nine sometime back which is a tough target in my garden and engaged the ground notch and it had a negative effect on the signal. Now to be fair it didnt knock all the (SOLID) deep targets out with the HF coil but it did knock out the quarter which is close to the edge of detection depth.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to hearing what you find out about falsing and the best settings for this coil. I also ran my elliptical coil yesterday for the first time at a old house site, riddled with square nails, rose head nails and flat iron bits... it was falsing on iron in the 30 and 70 khz ranges... the 14 khz was fine. I already knew that the higher frequencies would be harder to distinguish iron better. You cant exactly wiggle off a big piece of iron to listen for iron grunts when there is a nail every few inches.... so in my case, I dug all the big iron yesterday. I am very impressed with the power of this coil.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Vferrari figure out in regards to running these HF coils in the thick iron at old home sites. I am sure there is a combination of settings that will be optimal to work into the thickest of iron.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do these new coils have an external cable connecting the coil to the battery? The illustration in the V4 manual make it look that way. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up, but an external cable could be a deal breaker for me. Many of the places where I'd be wanting it for are thick with buckthorn and other brushy undergrowth.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The external battery and associated cable reside entirely in the stem tube so nothing to snag.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is a cable that runs up inside the lower rod. the battery is at the top of the lower shaft. the wire is only seen a tiny bit and it wont be getting caught on much of anything if at all.
Do these new coils have an external cable connecting the coil to the battery? The illustration in the V4 manual make it look that way. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up, but an external cable could be a deal breaker for me. Many of the places where I'd be wanting it for are thick with buckthorn and other brushy undergrowth.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The external battery and associated cable reside entirely in the stem tube so nothing to snag.
Good news. Thanks.

I was expecting that coil to be primarily for gold nugget hunting, which ain't happening where I live, or for hunting little teensy foil-thin hammered coins, which likewise. But reports seem to say that it would work well simply as a sniper coil for working in littered areas. I currently only have the 11" round LF coil, and this seems to be a more significant difference than the 9" round. Pretty sure I will be picking one up soon.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually the 91/2 in coil does have a cable but it is wonderfully run INSIDE the shaft, by XP Deus design .... you will never see it, it's wonderful and great depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread