ground notch video does it affect depth?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I figured, I'm glad I was sticking with 10 points below the actual GB reading. Do you remember what KHz you were using in the video?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14 kh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read your other thread and noticed you mentioned it in there, thanks for posting the videos....i know the editing and uploading is a real PITA...im off to PA Sunday to give the elyptical a workout for a few days, hopefully the weeds won't be too bad, if so the trout will be in some trouble.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bass bite died so its back to relics full time for me will save test garden videos up and a actual quick hunt with the elliptical coil soon. Good luck on your hunt.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, same to you...hopefully I will pluck a few keepers that will be video worthy

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting video, thanks CD! I don't have a HF coil but wonder the difference between them, the regular 9 & 11"and the ground notch. Might have to do a lil testing in my test area.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for doing the video! Now I'm wondering if the 'ground notch' was set 'properly' that there would be little or no effect on depth. I'm under the impression that the 'ground notch' should not be set any lower than the ground balance. Any ground notching done above shouldn't have any effect. We'll get this all figured out sooner or later! Surely one of these 'experts' know.

tabman

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know but with the hf coils really don't have to have it where I'm at as its very quite. I know a lot of people are fully engaging it.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnsharpshooter posted on my thread on another forum after he did some test with ground notch today and had the same results ,I asked to come here and comment or if I could copy and paste his results here.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for doing the video! Now I'm wondering if the 'ground notch' was set 'properly' that there would be little or no effect on depth. I'm under the impression that the 'ground notch' should not be set any lower than the ground balance. Any ground notching done above shouldn't have any effect. We'll get this all figured out sooner or later! Surely one of these 'experts' know.

tabman

The only thing I know is that there are very few absolutes when it comes to detecting. It seems to me to be all about tradeoffs and minimizing the risk of missing a keeper target, but it is hard to get to a zero level of risk. Therefore, if there is a lot of ground noise such that you can't reliably make out relatively solid keeper targets then you don't have much choice but to crank up ground notch as you describe above just enough to overlap the min ground reading. Yes, you will risk missing a few deep targets but its better than not being able to hear mid AND deep targets at all. Almost the same as cranking down sensitivity to counter EMI. You will lose depth but hopefully regain the ability to at least hear most target signals.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnsharpshooter had some interesting results on a nickel, he kept applying gn and went to actual ground reading and it cut signal down and then dropped below it a couple points and it was gone. I think that was a 10 inch nickle with the nine inch coil and had similar results with the 11. I understand about the noise but for me I will take my chances with it BECAUSE we know for sure ground notch is knocking out some targets. Then other thing is it wasn't like my test where I engaged it fully he put it on actual ground number but as we know that can change very quickly in the field. So then your always gonna be wondering do I have to much engaged. imo better to take chance with noise where I'm at but you guys will have to judge that for yourselves. OMT Andy commented over on the other forum about my findings and said it might be ground minerals causing this ,hence I took to mean it might do it some places and not in others. Update I went back and look at his results his ground balance was 74 and the signal was gone when the ground notch was applied at 80 and it was a dime on this test and a nickle on the other.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, if the noise ain't bad, no need to cut it in by default.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did another video on ground notch using a gold earing will have it up tonight or tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread