Why i don't use full tones around iron.

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a small copper coin @6" with a small nail just off to the side of the coin @3" deep.
Both programs are built off deus fast, one runs full tones -2.5 disc, the other program runs pitch +6 disc iron volume 2, the rest of the settings are the same for each program.

When i walk around in full tones you can hit the coin a few times, say maybe 10% of the time, in pitch you can hit it 90%.
It's not a ear popping hit everytime in pitch, but it's enough to make me stop and investigate it further. In full tones, unless i hit it on the sweet spot i'd probably walk past it.
In full tones, the nail drags down the tone of the coin almost to an iron tone, makes it very easy to miss.

https://youtu.be/JuIF_WAed2M

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't pitch just picking up both the nail and coin. How do you know the pitch tone is coming from the coin (without knowing in advance the position of the nail AND the coin)? What is TID doing?

Don't get me wrong. I like to use gold field (which is a pitch mode as well) as my all metal mode, but the drawback is that you need target ID telling you what the target is because you can only discern target strength and perhaps size from pitch (I sometimes use gold field as an alternative to pinpoint mode).. Pitch alone can't tell you what the target is. In discriminate mode (versus gold field), are you getting a secondary pitch tone on the iron and a primary tone from the coin target? If that is the case, I might have to give it a try.

OP
OP
beep1971

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've disc/ tone brake set to 6, the pitch you hear is the coin, it gets the ID only occasionally.
In full tones a coin in the same hole as iron can have it's tone dragged down so low it sounds like iron, very easy to miss it.

I relic hunt in the uk, so more or less dig everything above small iron.
No issues with the other tone settings as there is a clear jump in tone between iron and mid tones, not so with full tones, just a smooth sliding scale.

Try it out above ground for yourself and see how much/little iron you need to get a high tone off the coin.

https://youtu.be/6cO31aevD8g

Isn't pitch just picking up both the nail and coin. How do you know the pitch tone is coming from the coin (without knowing in advance the position of the nail AND the coin)? What is TID doing?

Don't get me wrong. I like to use gold field (which is a pitch mode as well) as my all metal mode, but the drawback is that you need target ID telling you what the target is because you can only discern target strength and perhaps size from pitch (I sometimes use gold field as an alternative to pinpoint mode).. Pitch alone can't tell you what the target is. In discriminate mode (versus gold field), are you getting a secondary pitch tone on the iron and a primary tone from the coin target? If that is the case, I might have to give it a try.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I wish they would fix it. The video I posted with the xy screen and guessing to dig or not dig is the same scenario. The iron is dragging the tones down and it will drag it down even further the closer it get SOMETIMES just according to how its positioned.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary states in this video that pitch is very good on iron rejection https://youtu.be/UIld6fZGKZc?t=12m26s

He does a bit of a demo on this but Im not sure where its at in the video or if this is the one he does it in but he was basically saying the same thing you are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread