Issues, reviews, thoughts of the HF elliptical coil.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never turn the h/p on first unless I am using h/p standalone. I let the remote initialize the coil then turn on the h/p. Does it make a difference whether the last used coil is in range...? T'hell with it. Lol.

I'm just going to do what I always do and leave it at that. At least I know that will work no matter what. Really no big deal to select the desired coil on both h/p and remote, I don't switch coils that often.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never turn the h/p on first unless I am using h/p standalone. I let the remote initialize the coil then turn on the h/p. Does it make a difference whether the last used coil is in range...? T'hell with it. Lol.

I'm just going to do what I always do and leave it at that. At least I know that will work no matter what. Really no big deal to select the desired coil on both h/p and remote, I don't switch coils that often.
FWIW, my WS5 headphones picked up on the new coil automatically.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But did you have a different coil selected before you started?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno why I find this whole auto coil detect thing with the H/P so confusing to me - early onset, I guess. lol. Like I said, I am going to keep on doing what I do, but if someone can post a definitive sequence that is repeatable and that answers questions such as the sequence of turning on the h/p vs. remote and whether the "last coil" selected needs to be "in wireless range" of the remote and or h/p (i.e., initially visible to the remote and or h/p) for the auto select thing to work, I would be appreciative.

From what I gather you need:

To have the "last coil" and "new coil" within reception range.

Start the h/p first and allow them to acquire the "last coil".

Turn on the remote and allow it to initialize with the "last coil".

Select the "new coil" on the remote and the h/p will automatically select the new coil.

Please offer corrections to the above sequence.

Like I said before, turning on the h/p first is completely opposite of my initialization routine. I let the remote initialize the coil with the coil raised in the air and then turn on the h/p after everything has initialized on the remote. Therefore, I am unlikely to do the above myself, but others may find the information useful, so lets get it accurately out there.

Thanks.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
above works for me!
Going into the HeadPhone menu would work as well, but in my mind, I shouldn't have to

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But did you have a different coil selected before you started?

If you addressed that to me, yes. I had used my 11" coil last. I turned the remote on, changed the coil there, and turned my headphones on and everything worked as expected.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dunno why I find this whole auto coil detect thing with the H/P so confusing to me - early onset, I guess. lol. Like I said, I am going to keep on doing what I do, but if someone can post a definitive sequence that is repeatable and that answers questions such as the sequence of turning on the h/p vs. remote and whether the "last coil" selected needs to be "in wireless range" of the remote and or h/p (i.e., initially visible to the remote and or h/p) for the auto select thing to work, I would be appreciative.

From what I gather you need:

To have the "last coil" and "new coil" within reception range.

Start the h/p first and allow them to acquire the "last coil".

Turn on the remote and allow it to initialize with the "last coil".

Select the "new coil" on the remote and the h/p will automatically select the new coil.

Please offer corrections to the above sequence.

Like I said before, turning on the h/p first is completely opposite of my initialization routine. I let the remote initialize the coil with the coil raised in the air and then turn on the h/p after everything has initialized on the remote. Therefore, I am unlikely to do the above myself, but others may find the information useful, so lets get it accurately out there.

Thanks.

There are so many times when I wish that XP would provide a Deus engineer or programmer to contribute to the various forums. It would be so helpful to be able to talk to someone that has access to and an understanding of the flow of the software and firmware. As it is, we have to make so damned many guesses!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we would just have to learn french then! lol

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
say what!!!

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my 9" HF today. I am having the exact same pairing issues.

The remote pairs fine to the HF coil and will work with it's own speaker..... but will not pair and recognize the headphones.

To work with HF coil this is the sequence I need to do.

Turn on remote.
Select the correct LF coil
Turn on headphones or puck ( I tried them both)
Pair headphones to correct LF coil
At this time all is working...ready to detect just like normal

Then to get the HF Headphones to pair, I need to do the above routine, get it running in LF and then

Select HF coil with remote
Select HF coil with puck or headphones
good to go...just like normal

If I start by turning on remote and selecting the HF coil and then turning on headphones and selecting the HF coil it will not connect completely.

What happens is my headphones do show the little coil icon, like it is connected, except the coil battery icon shows empty and there is no sound.

Once paired it will turn on normally with the HF coil.

Hope that makes sense

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sence to me since I have to do the same process to get my headphone to work with the coils. Glad it's not just me lol.. Mad it even happens that way.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my 9" HF today. I am having the exact same pairing issues.

The remote pairs fine to the HF coil and will work with it's own speaker..... but will not pair and recognize the headphones.

To work with HF coil this is the sequence I need to do.

Turn on remote.
Select the correct LF coil
Turn on headphones or puck ( I tried them both)
Pair headphones to correct LF coil
At this time all is working...ready to detect just like normal

Then to get the HF Headphones to pair, I need to do the above routine, get it running in LF and then

Select HF coil with remote
Select HF coil with puck or headphones
good to go...just like normal

If I start by turning on remote and selecting the HF coil and then turning on headphones and selecting the HF coil it will not connect completely.

What happens is my headphones do show the little coil icon, like it is connected, except the coil battery icon shows empty and there is no sound.

Once paired it will turn on normally with the HF coil.

Hope that makes sense

Makes sence to me since I have to do the same process to get my headphone to work with the coils. Glad it's not just me lol.. Mad it even happens that way.

Which headphones are you guys using? I don't know if it matters, but I had my first outing today with my new 9" HF and had no trouble switching coils and didn't have to touch my WS5 phones. I did have one point when I lost sound, and had to restart the remote, but that wasn't a coil switching issue, and I still didn't have to touch the headphones.

Where's that French engineer when we need him?

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WS5 full size

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WS5 full size and deteknix with puck....same results with both

Thats different from me that you don't have to change coils on your headphones. I have 3 coils and they come up on my headphones as Coil 1, Coil 2 and Coil 3.
On the remote they come up by serial number.

Depending on which coil I am using, I have to pick the correct coil on my phones.

I dunno, maybe i'm doing it wrong?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread