Issues, reviews, thoughts of the HF elliptical coil.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought we might want it all in one thread, got mine this morning. I'm glad the guy warned us to be careful with the battery pins I'm sure I would have overlooked that as well when putting it together. I had zero issues connecting to the remote or headphones, and the coil seems to be super sensitive. All of my testing is on V4, I tried the V4.1 beta and liked it but couldn't get the app to work with the 11 inch coil. So what do I think so far? I think it's a foil magnet lol, should be good for just like advertised finding lower conducting targets in high mineral soil, or high iron sites.

Posting this as I am hitting an old construction site for the New York City aqueduct, I am surprised how deep this little coil will go, it bangs on brass and copper. This area has been pounded by me using an AT Pro with aftermarket coils and the Deus with 11 inch coil and 2 others both of them AT Pro users with aftermarket coils, I just pulled 2 nice little relics and I really feel the combo of the elliptical and the Deus is what produced those finds.

XP Dues wish list - 9.5 elliptical @ 4Khz 8Khz 12Khz 15Khz
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea I've been trying to follow all these different threads.

Which hf coil for a iron /nail infested fresh water beach?

Approximately how much depth does the elliptical give up to the 9" round hf on rings or coins?

All this talk has got me thinking about getting one too....lol

Thanks

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the little coil been using it on iron infested sites and have been pulling some non ferrous targets mostly junk but I havent hit a great site with it. It does show it will pull it out of the iron. After all is said and done the BIGGEST selling point for the hf coils to me is how stable they are. The 5 x 10 I have now is my good friends coil hes been sick and sent me the coil to test while hes been doing treatments and hes coming down thursday to get it, so will I be buying one for myself in the very near future more than likely, it might be the nine though because I hear its a little deeper than the ellipitical. The main reason I would buy it is for the stability of it which is very impressive. Deus please make us a relic coil that will hunt in 4 kh and 7 kh thats this stable... lol Would I reccomend the hf coil to a friend and the answer to that question is yes, you can hear the deep faint ones very well with this coil.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old trade off better depth or better separation? I was honestly surprised at the depth today. One suspender clip was a good 8-9 inches down ended up clipping with the shovel as I didn't think it would pick up a target that deep.. [emoji16]
In my test garden it bangs on the dime at 7 inches and a nickel at 8 inches however I have a very tough quarter target at 12 inches and every now and again I could get a squeak out of the Dues even gave a VDI
One of the reasons I like the elliptical over the round due to its easier to get in tight spots in the woods where a lot of my hunting is done.
My game plan is first use the 11 inch on a grid and go back over the same grid with the elliptical, anything I miss would either have to be super masked or deep and who has time to be digging 15 inch targets all day!

bfcb36691fb5d5bc78690518b74858e6.jpg

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the little coil been using it on iron infested sites and have been pulling some non ferrous targets mostly junk but I havent hit a great site with it. It does show it will pull it out of the iron. After all is said and done the BIGGEST selling point for the hf coils to me is how stable they are. The 5 x 10 I have now is my good friends coil hes been sick and sent me the coil to test while hes been doing treatments and hes coming down thursday to get it, so will I be buying one for myself in the very near future more than likely, it might be the nine though because I hear its a little deeper than the ellipitical. The main reason I would buy it is for the stability of it which is very impressive. Deus please make us a relic coil that will hunt in 4 kh and 7 kh thats this stable... lol Would I reccomend the hf coil to a friend and the answer to that question is yes, you can hear the deep faint ones very well with this coil.

Actually, Calabash, these HF coils might just be the relic killer (at least for buttons, other brass, and small lead) since it hits hard on those mid-conductors at the high frequencies without much depth loss overall on the high conductors. It really makes iron sound bad and if the round crowncaps are any indication, may make round iron sound a little less like a good target, esp with silencer cranked. I can't wait to try this in the hot relic soil of Culpeper VA.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will also find silver just as good :)
It separates very very well and bang on the conductors I have pulled more buttons and jewelry with this coil in areas I have with the 11 inch all in all very happy with this coil.
20170803_163308.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will also find silver just as good :)
It separates very very well and bang on the conductors I have pulled more buttons and jewelry with this coil in areas I have with the 11 inch all in all very happy with this coil.
View attachment 1479548

Theoretically, it should not perform as well depth wise on the high conductors (silver, clad) as the lf coils. However, I have the 9" HF, and I agree that it does not appear you are giving up much depth on the high conductors running the coil at 14 khz and I am running it at max frequency at the beach and hitting high conductors just fine including my first dollar coin (below). I am thinking my 9" HF coil will be my workhorse coil for the future and will only pull my 9" lf coil out if EMI is an issue, though I have found the 9" HF to be very stable. I am seriously considering the elliptical coil now as an additional tool in really trashy, highly mineralized situations.

20170724_082012.jpg

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what I have found, it will bang on the brass, copper and lead. I mean bang on musket balls and pistol balls. It will hit on silver and clad just not as deep as the lower conducting targets.
It almost instantly connects to the remote, but using V4 there is some lag when starting and turning off the MI-6.
Will report more as I use the coil more, one thing depth is not an issue and I am very comfortable using this is my everyday coil.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should have my replacement battery in the mail tomorrow, so I may know the answer to this faster than anyone can reply, but I was wondering today what happens when you are using a HF coil, and switch to a program designed for a LF coil? What frequency does it operate on by default when you do that?

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
14kHz

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also if you have WS5 headphones you have to start the machine with the what ever coil you used last to get the sound through headphones

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also if you have WS5 headphones you have to start the machine with the what ever coil you used last to get the sound through headphones

Wow... that seems wrong. I hope they fix that with one of their releases. Thanks for the tip... I'm sure you just saved me some frustration!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've always had to manually switch to the active coil on both the remote and h/p whenever I want to switch coils. I must not be understanding your point.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok lets say you have the 11 inch and elliptical and your last hunt you used the 11 inch. You switch coils that night at home to your elliptical and drive to your detecting location when you go into the remote and switch to the elliptical the head phones will not work they will not pair up period. the headphones/remote have to be started with what ever coil was used last and then you can go into the remote and switch coils and now you will have sound out of the headphone. If you just switched coils and started the machine right up with the new coil the headphones will not pair.
I have never done anything with the headphones beside turn them on and expect to connect. so i didn't go into the headphone menu and try and switch there as its to much of a pain.

hope I explained that good enough

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. You have to switch it in the headphone menu too when you start with new coil powered off. I've always had to do that. I guess because I usually switch coils with everything off. Takes about 10 seconds.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly I wouldn't even know how to on the headphones menu. I looked and was, nope not on this little screen.
Glad you can make it work though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using WS4 so maybe it's simpler. Just hit Menu button and "+" until I get to Coil and select the right coil. Guess I'm used to using the damn puck standalone sometimes. Agree it's tiny and my eyes suck so I avoid having to use it. I didn't even know it would auto switch the phones on the fly at all, so I agree that it should do it regardless of whether you are already powered on and switch the remote or are switching the remote coil setting upon initial power on. Frankly don't know the difference if both coils are in range. Hmmm. I am totally confused now. Lol.

Last edited:

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this Vferrari.. like Austin lurker said. Turn on h/p first and then detector. the last coil used will blink, let it finish. then go to menu and select the coil that you want to use, leave h/p on. the coil that you now want to use should start blinking. when finished the h/p should be working with the new coil that you just selected. I have had to go to the h/p and select the new coil but usually only if I had the h/p off when making the switch. GL..
I'm using WS4 so maybe it's simpler. Just hit Menu button and "+" until I get to Coil and select the right coil. Guess I'm used to using the damn puck standalone sometimes. Agree it's tiny and my eyes suck so I avoid having to use it. I didn't even know it would auto switch the phones on the fly at all, so I agree that it should do it regardless of whether you are already powered on and switch the remote or are switching the remote coil setting upon initial power on. Frankly don't know the difference if both coils are in range. Hmmm. I am totally confused now. Lol.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my replacement battery today, and managed to get it installed without munging it up this time. Ain't easy! They really need to add some sort of keying system to it. I really wasn't 100% sure that I had it right this time when I started to tighten the nut down.

So far, I like it. I'll be giving it a good run tomorrow.

For some reason, the 14KHz gives me NO EMI in my own yard. The 11" LF coil is completely useless here on any of the four standard frequencies! That doesn't quite make sense to me, since obviously, 18Khz is higher than 14. Better shielding, perhaps?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread