FULL TONES VERSE PITCH ON MASKED TARGETS.

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Calabash. I use a Disc. setting of 0 or 1 in my pitch program. I found this video showing the pitch program in Acton using dues fast as the base by Gary B.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting I really learned how to use the deus from watching Gary and talking to him he knows the machine and his style is different from alot of the U.S. top dogs and I adoted his style and it has paid off very well for me and my friends as I have to program their machines too.

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 3 different programs. My hot program is based on your relic program. Actually it is your relic program withe disc. bumped up to 2 to deal with my hot ground. I also use Gary's sifter program for the real thick iron. I also have a custom program I use in thick iron when the ear bashing gets to be to much

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good vid Calabash, you just need to play with the settings.
Personally i'd not go as high on the disc, i run 6.1 and rarely dig nails, you need the lower disc to help unmask, like everthing it takes getting used to, a split iron/pitch tone i can read better/gives me more feedback, but if the disc is too high it doesn't let the masked coin weep through, i find it a strong point with the Deus.
The coins i'm hunting are low conductors, so hard to pick out in iron, many will ID at 50 or lower before the nail drags it down, your high conductor dimes won't get dragged down as far in full tones, but them little spanish coins you find might, could be worth testing, no one wants to be missing them.
I've another vid to upload showing just this, a single small nail beside a hammered silver in full tones, and the coin basically turns to iron tone.

Last edited:

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a basic test on a hammered penny, both programs are built off deus fast and you can see the settings used.
In full tones, when the nail is almost touching the coin, my hearing won't let me pick it out, when i swing 90° i'd dig it.
In pitch i'm running 6.1 and i've the iron volume at 5 so as you can hear the nail, and personally i find the coin just pops out far better.
Maybe it's a niggle with the 11" coil and the 9" doesn't do it, i don't have the 9" so can't test it.

With the coin beside the nail in full tones would you be confident of hearing it, would you dig it? you'd definitely dig the coin beside the nail in pitch, least i would.

Anyways, it's working for myself in my grounds as i've pulled a couple of real nice hammered coins in the last few weeks, i'd love to be using full tones but i just don't have confidence with it.

Sorry about the bouncy video, i was using tablet to film!

https://youtu.be/NmnYGcMCAmg

Attachments

• P_20170812_085410.jpg
    P_20170812_085410.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I have the 9" coil, you could rest that nail on top of the dime and it could pick it out....i can't believe how wide the center of that 11" coil is.....i also noticed you had negative 1.2 Disc. in full tones and 6.1 in pitch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have started bumping the disc up some when I'm hunting foundations tnsharpshooter gave me that suggestion and it knocks out the iron and those low tones can be picked up then in full tones. I get what you saying about the dime not being pulled down as far and will try another coin today maybe a old indian head. BTW on sites that have produced very well it gets a no disc and a disc of 6 work over in the THICKEST iron parts. I have just started doing this and it works VERY well here.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that disc setting will make all the difference in the world on that test.
I'm glad I have the 9" coil, you could rest that nail on top of the dime and it could pick it out....i can't believe how wide the center of that 11" coil is.....i also noticed you had negative 1.2 Disc. in full tones and 6.1 in pitch.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will test it with a 1850 U.S. trime and a Spanish half reale 1781

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be interesting between the 9" and 11" coils.
Disc/tone break level is the key in pitch and 2 tone, where i am we run as low as possible on most machines, usually to the size of the nail in my pic above, on a medieval site i dig big iron as it might be a dagger, part of a sword etc and really anything above small nails is a target.
On the site i've been hunting lately i've only found one modern'ish coin, a little 1800's copper, no modern junk like bottle tops or foil, the area is almost locked in a timewarp, everything is old back to the 12th century, so i'm digging it all lol.
I will test it with a 1850 U.S. trime and a Spanish half reale 1781

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice site and I would be doing the same....12 century sites here we have to use our native American Indian artifact detectors...yeah when I did my quick test in full tone vs pitch, when pitch hit the coin under the nail on an east/west sweep (the nail was also facing E/W over the coin) i though I invented the light bulb, that was until I moved the disc up to 6 from 1....then the coin was masked, the high tone was coming from the nail in pitch.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had posted in another thread about Gary liking pitch in iron and I thought I'd go back and see what he had to say about it. I think He mentions it a couple times in the video as to why he likes it, but he basically says the same thing your saying. He likes the signal dynamics of pitch. https://youtu.be/UIld6fZGKZc?t=12m26s

Also I was thinking that pitch works well at breaking up on iron signals and making a nice clean 'zip' sound on good targets. At least I'm thinking Gary makes mention of this in the video. I'm not sure where the disc would have to be set in order to accomplish this though.

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, that's a good example there. I'm also using it on deeper targets on pasture, crank up the audio response and sens, lower the reactivity, good fun!

I had posted in another thread about Gary liking pitch in iron and I thought I'd go back and see what he had to say about it. I think He mentions it a couple times in the video as to why he likes it, but he basically says the same thing your saying. He likes the signal dynamics of pitch. https://youtu.be/UIld6fZGKZc?t=12m26s

Also I was thinking that pitch works well at breaking up on iron signals and making a nice clean 'zip' sound on good targets. At least I'm thinking Gary makes mention of this in the video. I'm not sure where the disc would have to be set in order to accomplish this though.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He built off fast in the video and it has 6.1 .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread