Switching frequencys in the HF elliptical coil, ideas/thoughts/suggestions

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was playing around with the adjustments for the frequency of the elliptical coil and noticed at 14kHz I could adjust down to 13kHz and up to 15kHz. I think this is a nice addition and advantage to the Deus, we all know lower kHz ranges bang better on high conducting targets and higher kHz on lower conducting targets. So does anybody think there is an advantage to using the frequency shifts? Not just for lowering the EMI effects but actual field use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I think there is an advantage to shifting down and there should not be any downside to this since TX power is fixed at 2 for all frequencies unlike on the legacy coils where frequency shift locks TX power at 3. Just be aware that there is no ID normalization with the HF coils so the TIDs will differ with frequency (I don't think the 14 khz +/- is normalized to 18 khz, in other words, the TIDs at 14 khz are what you would expect them to be if you could run the legacy coil at 14 khz vs. being upshifted to 18 khz as if you had ID NORM on with the legacy coil. But frankly I have not tried shifting the lower frequency setting yet to see if the TIDs change accordingly. I know that TIDs definitely rise when shifting to the HF frequencies above 14 khz, so that is the basis for my no ID Normalization statement plus it is not an option on the Settings menu with the HF coils).

Last edited:
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call it coincidence but I just started playing with frequency shift and went down to 13kHz and pulled a nice little Merc from a spot I know I have swung over many times before lol. Also just goes to show it takes lots of time and patience to "hunt a spot clean"
TDI shift according to frequency used just like you said 1942 Merc was a solid 90 @ 13kHz

8135ce75f796d39cb3fa5b928ad1eb84.jpg

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am really enjoying the new frequency spread that the elliptical coil offers me [emoji16]
I mean come on what other machine offers this much flexibility with just the change of settings or coils. I can go from 4Khz to 80Khz in less time than it took to write this post, I am constantly surprised but what comes out of the ground I guess it's what keeps me coming back.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread