Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was messing around in the yard today testing a dime next to a huge square nail, it's about 1/3rd the size of a railroad spike, anyway although I could hear the dime in Full Tones, it still gave that iron overload sounding sound....not sure if I would have dug that signal out in the field. So thinking back to the Minelab days they had a program called Two Tone Ferrous, so I tried changing to 2 tones, didn't sound all that bad but still had that iron sound in there....easy fix, go into the tone breaks and move the first tone up to 25 from 1....that works but what also happens is it changed the Disc. setting to 25 automatically, I do and don't understand why the controller did that, none the less I didn't like the thought of my disc. being at 25 (depth loss), so what I did is set the tone back to 1 (the first tone break in 2 tones automatically is set to whatever your Disc. setting is at) and then went under notch and notched out 0-25.

I was quite impressed at the signal, a signal I surely would have dug in the field - I suggest you guys try this in your favorite custom relic program.

I also did this in the "deep" preset program and had good tone results, you just can't look at the x/y screen if using this program to make a dig / no dig decision.

Side note, 2 tones is meant for a site with very little to no modern trash - in a park you would be digging signals every few inches.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very similar to the fella who was saying pitch mode helps to better unmask non ferrous targets next to iron (that was basically two tone except in pitch mode). As a matter of fact, I was going to ask how that was any different than just using two tone but never got around to it. I think the key to your method is using notch. Perhaps if you used pitch you wouldn't also have to set notch. I dunno, you guys are getting into PhD level tweaks with these unmasking tips.

Relevant thread here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...t-use-full-tones-around-iron.html#post5481601

BTW, the reason Disc "automatically" went up to 25 is for the very reason you mentioned, by manually adjusting the first tone break you are always going to adjust the discrimination point. It is related to the point that Calabash was making about being careful about switching into a multitone mode from full tones when you have disc set low because you lose that iron tone break.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried pitch in the deep program (pitch is default in deep), I personally do not care for pitch, for some reason it reminds me of big iron or the gold field program, I guess my ears just don't trust that tone option. I feel the notch, and the 2 tones works great together, this will not be my new go to program but will be my last program I use once I feel I've "pounded out" a site with full tones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might work around that by going 3 tones. Set the first one to 0 and the second one to 25. Just set the two first to the same Hz.
I did fool around with that a bit and liked it. I still have an old minelab with the 2-tone you're referring to, tried to mimic it in the deus.

Don't have so much infested ground permissions. But once I get to one, I'll be sure to play around a bit.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I was quite impressed at the signal, a signal I surely would have dug in the field - I suggest you guys try this in your favorite custom relic program.

Tedyoh, a couple of years ago I was at one of my favorite cellar hole sites that I and others had pounded over the years. Pickings were of course very slim. At the end the hunt, my brain was mush from 4 hours of Full tones, 0 Discrim and no finds in the heavy iron patches. For the heck of it, I went to 3 Tones and I jacked the Discrim up to 30 just to shut up the noise. I pulled 5 buttons in the next 20 minutes from the same area. That of course got my attention. Now with that kind of Discrim, you will of course lose some targets, but now I never finish a site without cranking up the Discrim for at least 1 hunt.

Like V said, I often adjust Discrim by adjusting that first tone. Sometimes I will also do what EU mentioned. If I am not interested in the iron volume control for that hunt, I will set the Discrim to 0 and the next Tone break to 120 kHz as well.

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally i wouldn't use notch, i need to hear the iron on my sites and to tell if im getting a high pitch tone spiking from the edge of iron or a good target.
Using pitch/vco gives you a sense of depth of the target, it also sounds very reactive and alerts me better to a target in iron, but i also turn up the pitch to 500hz so the difference between iron tone and pitch is extreme.
I set my disc/tone break between 5.5 and 6. which covers most small nails, with iron volume 3 or 4, works a treat, like using a laser and ping poinging between the bits of iron to find the high pitch of a good target.

2 tone is great on less iron sites, i also use the ultimate program but with 4 tones, low tone for iron, mid tone for coke, small foil etc, and high tone the rest.
The reason i have a mid tone is because the Deus can drop a high tone if it's near iron or coke, so if i get a high/mid tone mix i dig them but i don't dig the mid or mid/low tones mix.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that pitch it reacts harshll to non ferrous targets in iron, it makes them really pop I set the pitch as hig as it can go and a disc on 10 and went to work it performed very well. One side note one site had some modern junk and the other was just iron found targets on both that had been missed in full tones with low disc.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from PA, old homesite I've been to at least 10 times using full tones no disc or notch, machine gun sounding iron in full tones....2 tones works with notch....before digging I re tested with full tones and heard nothing but nails, I think notching the iron and using 2 tones, just let's that little bit of non ferrous take priority in the processing and audio...although nothing ground breaking I did get an 1864 and 65 IHP's, couple pocket knives, lantern parts, suspender clips, other odds and ends and a really nice tiny crotal bell that's not broke and still works...im telling you try it in your "hunted out" heavy iron old homesites....oh yeah the weeds are still bad there and I could only detect about 1/8 of the area....cant wait till Spring! Also a side note, I ran the HF coil at 28 kHz at the same site in full tones for about a half hour and it looks promising as well....
3be2b64881ec1d0b4e75a4a130bcb242.jpg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting! I have been running that pitch in iron and it seems to really hit in the iron good too.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely trying 2tones tomorrow.
Good luck, hope it works out for you, just remember if you set it up like I mentioned it'll be a 1 tone program, also I forgot to mention I used Gary's Sifter Program in PA and edited from there.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting! I have been running that pitch in iron and it seems to really hit in the iron good too.
Are you running any disc with your pitch program?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
disc 10 and it unmasks really well.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
disc 10 and it unmasks really well.
Does the pitch tone ever become "broken / chopped / clipped" in the heavy iron when your on a good target? I'm thinking it would because the tone is so "long", if you know what I mean.....with the 2 tone it either hits or misses...not sure if it's because of the tone or the disc set at 20

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does but I havent used it enough to really learn the little nuances of it yet. So what im getting at is havent dug enough clipped tones to know if its nail heads coming through or actual masked targets. I have dug a few that were clipped and turned out to be non ferrous. Ii will take a go with that two tone deal . Does it chrip on the nails heads bad?

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does but I havent used it enough to really learn the little nuances of it yet. So what im getting at is havent dug enough clipped tones to know if its nail heads coming through or actual masked targets. I have dug a few that were clipped and turned out to be non ferrous. Ii will take a go with that two tone deal . Does it chrip on the nails heads bad?
No not bad at all.....i did dig some larger squares but not many, did not dig any small squares....I was digging any tone that came through....i dug plenty of bullets and rifle brass I did not put in the pic.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it messed around with it this morning in the garden will give it a try on a good relic site.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know how it works out.....a friend of mine had good results today with it on a heavy iron / hunted out site

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a few more things in my yard....i forgot to mention....as odd as it sounds this program you also have to get a TDI number as well as tone....nails give good tone but no TDI and big iron gives good tone and 97 98 99 TDI. Again, look for a TDI along with tone with this program, if not you will be digging a lot of nails.
cdce559b5e8df7c4f7afc2c2600dcf39.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread