Orderd a Deus today!!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Getting my first VLF machine and I am so excited it's a XP-Deus:headbang:

I have used a Minelab Gpx5000 for about 5 years now, so this will be a big change I am sure.

Rob Allison from Robs detectors is the best, very easy to talk with and very helpful (always the best deal).

Up dating the firmware from 3.5 to 4.0 to run the HF coil. Any tips on this procedure or on running this machine?

Looking forward to being able to run the machine in my own yard as the 5000 does not like being anywhere near power lines or houses.

I would like to run as wide open as possible and silence as much iron as it can to hear only non ferrous targets to increase my odds of a silver gold coin or nugget.

Looking forward to your suggestions and tips on the XP- Deus and how you use it!!:icon_thumright:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, you wont regret it.

There arnt any nuggets where I live , but my go to program that has been very good to me for coins and rings is DEUS FAST. Tweak it as necessary.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running it wide open and silencing the iron is like the polar opposites with the Deus. I also would start in Deus Fast and change only 2 things, drop the frequency to 8, it's preset at 18 and that frequency can light up iron, especially when you are new to the Deus and change the ground balance to tracking if you have v4.0 loaded....Don't change anything else just because you can, first make sure you know whats happening when you change a setting....if not you will get frustrated quickly....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary's Hot and Sifter full tones programs are the best programs out there IMHO and just tweak them in the field as needed.
https://youtu.be/hPHhuejPf0o
Congrats! I upgraded from an AT Pro and now think of it as a toy in comparison to the Deus. It's so much more sensitive.

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Looking forward to getting some tones and clues to what to dig and what not to dig. My gpx5000 if I listen real close will give clues but things can sound weird and still be good.
Going to be interesting on how it deals with clays and bedrock.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to getting some tones and clues to what to dig and what not to dig. My gpx5000 if I listen real close will give clues but things can sound weird and still be good.
Going to be interesting on how it deals with clays and bedrock.

Ha Ha. You are doing it the opposite way I did. I got proficient with a Deus as a coinshooter and beach hunter and then caught the relic bug big time and learned how to use a GPX 4800 for relic hunting in highly mineralized ground in Virginia (started out with a Garrett ATX which is capable but a behemoth - can you imagine going from a Deus to an ATX?). I like the GPX better because of the tonal continuity and nuances (similar to the Deus) and it was much easier to swing than the ATX. I can now go back and forth between the GPX and Deus seamlessly. In fact on relic hunts where I bring the GPX as my primary detector, I strap the deus to my daypack and either use it as a change of pace break from the GPX or as a sweeper to cherry pick relics from the extracted dirt piles of huts and trash/fire pits. Works great. Since, in full tones, the Deus is primarily a tone machine first that just happens to have a Target ID display. Since the GPX is pure tone, and nuanced tone at that, I think you will get the hang of the Deus. The Deus will grunt on iron which makes it ideal for thick iron sites where the GPX discrimination circuit will just blank out the machine (and with the slow recovery speed you'll want to just wrap the GPX around the nearest tree or vertical object). The Deus lets you hear the iron, which is important for IDing what you have at a site (like an old foundation or a bunch of nails where an outbuilding stood). The thing about the Deus is that while the iron can still mask keeper targets, it is pretty good at letting you hear the keepers amongst the iron as long as you have a little separation.

Now I do not know your background as to the type of hunting you do. If you are a prospector, the GPX is hard to beat, but the Deus with one of the HF coils attached will hold its own on nugget busting. If you are a relic hunter or coin shooter, the Deus is a good all around machine for either of those, though the GPX will be deeper in mineralized ground but if that mineralized ground is saturated with ferrous targets, then the Deus may be your best bet. Ted and Cuyamaca above have given you great advice for starter programs. If you give us a little more information on what you want to hunt for and your typical site conditions in terms of mineralization, ferrous junk, and trash, then we can give you advice that is targeted more to your style of hunting.

HH

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting my first VLF machine and I am so excited it's a XP-Deus:headbang:

I have used a Minelab Gpx5000 for about 5 years now, so this will be a big change I am sure.

Rob Allison from Robs detectors is the best, very easy to talk with and very helpful (always the best deal).

Up dating the firmware from 3.5 to 4.0 to run the HF coil. Any tips on this procedure or on running this machine?

Looking forward to being able to run the machine in my own yard as the 5000 does not like being anywhere near power lines or houses.

I would like to run as wide open as possible and silence as much iron as it can to hear only non ferrous targets to increase my odds of a silver gold coin or nugget.

Looking forward to your suggestions and tips on the XP- Deus and how you use it!!:icon_thumright:
I remember those types of detector many years ago. Good hunting and good luck.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the new Deus! I'm finding it very easy to use and get the hang of what it's telling me. My all time favorite detector. With all the help from the guys above the learning curve is flattened out quite a bit.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Big thanks for all the info!!

I will read and re read to gain all the great information provided here.

The ground I hunt varies from red clay littered with broken water lines and miner junk with lots of nails and ditch materials. Some other spots are creeks with exposed greenstone and slates with quartz stringers, some red hot slate that the minelab cant handle very seldom.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are gonna like the deus. I've had it since February and dug20 silvers including a seated quarter. I've never used a minelab but hear they are heavy, so if nothing else you will be saving your back IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0040.JPG

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Loving it, trying to keep the lid on this great machine...shhh

Yes mine arrived with 4.0 installed, was told it may be 3.5 from dealer but was nice to see 4.0 and not need to upgrade anything.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't regret the Deus. Mine likes silver, Civil War buttons and bullets and has an especially overactive taste bud for gold, especially rings. It sucks rings out of the ground. I can't swing a heavy machine. You can make your Minelab into a lamp if you want.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you prospecting with it? What coil are you using? Settings? If you are prospecting, try the Gold Field program (10) at the two high frequency settings of your coil.

OP
OP
Gravelwasher

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Doing some searching in known gold areas using the HF elliptical coil.

Only out twice so far, so really still switching around from #10 to #1 in hi trash areas.

Also playing with some test targets in the yard and making some adjustments to get max depth, target discrimination and such, to see how it affects it all.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with the new Deus. I love the HF Elliptical Coil and it's abilities to separate from the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread