Hudson Valley Region of NY
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
White's TreasurePro
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.

I am looking for some help. I have always owned White's brand detectors. Probably because I got so used to them. I was debating on buying a Garrett AT Pro this year and give Garrett a try. I been told or recommend more and more often by White's brand owners and others to go with a Deus. So I am curious what others have to say.

Can you all please give some input why or why not go with a Deus?

Thank you

Sent from my VS986 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Jason,
Check out Calabash Diggers YouTube videos and it will be perfectly clear why Deus.
Besides weight, balance, recovery speed, unmasking a target and the ability to read masked coins on their edge, the list is endless.
Best of luck!
Rusty

Last edited:
OP
OP
New York Metal Detecting
Mar 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
White's TreasurePro
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jason,
Check out Calabash Diggers YouTube videos and it will be perfectly clear why Deus.
Besides weight, balance, recovery speed, unmasking a target and the ability to read masked coins on their edge, the list is endless.
Best of luck!
Rusty
Thank you Rusty. I will definitely go check out their YouTube channel. I appreciate it.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
versatility is awesome too, you can make it into what ever kind of detector you want other than deep water. once you get used to using one, your back and shoulder will thank you. free upgrades.

OP
OP
New York Metal Detecting
Mar 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
White's TreasurePro
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
versatility is awesome too, you can make it into what ever kind of detector you want other than deep water. once you get used to using one, your back and shoulder will thank you. free upgrades.
Thank you. I appreciate any input I can get.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug thousands of coins in Upstate NY, so first what type of hunting are you planning to do? Parks? Cellar holes? Farm fields?

Parks/Sports Fields - If old ground, Minelab Explorer/II/SE Pro in medium to heavy trash. Deus in light trash and rusty nails, for improved depth vs ML Explorer. Mind you the ML Explorer will crush the Whites machines on depth so either would likely open up your previously hunted out sites.

Cellar Holes - Typically these are rusty nail infested hell holes so Deus.

Farm Fields - ML Explorer/eTrac/CTX HATE disturbed soil, makes them unstable and hurts depth so Deus. Minelabs also HATE an air gap between the coil and the soil, it kills depth the coils needs to be scrubbing on the ground. So say a stub corn field or field with some longer grass perhaps the Deus would be better, maybe more experienced Deus users can comment on that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
New York Metal Detecting
Mar 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
White's TreasurePro
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Charles. I like your thinking regarding the different metal detectors but my wife won't like that idea one bit. Maybe I can do one of them one year and another one the following year or the year after. Buy that time though there will be something new and better out.

I do all sorts of detecting. From parks, cellar holes, farm fields, beaches, and soccer fields. I go for jewelry, old coins, current coins, and relics.

Where in upstate NY are you?

I am in Catskill NY

Thanks....

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I realized this morning how I tend to take the ease of changing coils for granted, too. Just slide the old one off, slide the new one on, and switch to it on the controller.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I realized this morning how I tend to take the ease of changing coils for granted, too. Just slide the old one off, slide the new one on, and switch to it on the controller.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I started with ATP... switched to Deus in about 90 day, that was over three years ago.

Light weight, wireless, configurable to conditions are what I usually tell people are the big features. As stated earlier, Calabash Digger has videos that demonstrate the machine's capabilities.

You can't go wrong with the Deus, IMHO.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I started with ATP... switched to Deus in about 90 day, that was over three years ago.

Light weight, wireless, configurable to conditions are what I usually tell people are the big features. As stated earlier, Calabash Digger has videos that demonstrate the machine's capabilities.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Charles. I like your thinking regarding the different metal detectors but my wife won't like that idea one bit. Maybe I can do one of them one year and another one the following year or the year after. Buy that time though there will be something new and better out.

I do all sorts of detecting. From parks, cellar holes, farm fields, beaches, and soccer fields. I go for jewelry, old coins, current coins, and relics.

Where in upstate NY are you?

I am in Catskill NY

Thanks....

I used to live in the Albany, NY area but no longer live in the state.

WEIGHT - I have swung a DFX, its relatively light and very well balanced. In comparison swinging a Minelab (Explorer, eTrac, CTX) will be like swinging a gallon of milk they are nose heavy boat anchors. A top reason I chose the Deus was its light weight, I have a highly accurate scale and weighed it, with the 11 inch LF coil it weighs 2.24 lbs. My Explorer SE Pro with the X1 probe a whopping 4.75 pounds.

The Deus will be a lot more difficult to learn and use. Target ID of the Explorer (I recommend an SE Pro with the 11 inch SE Pro coil) is superior to the Deus within the Explorer's depth range, various NY soils its good to 8 inches on cents and dimes, a bit deeper on quarters and larger. If you can handle the machine's weight. ML screwed up the eTrac and CTX target ID in comparison but I won't get into that.

On the other hand, what's left to dig at sites pounded hard now by Minelabs for 16 plus years? That's an issue. I'll tell you what's left, deep targets the ML can't reach but the Deus can, targets really masked by rusty nails the Deus can hit on, and (to be confirmed but looks promising) coins on edge or slightly on edge the ML can't get a hit on. That was part of the reason I purchased the Deus, its getting increasingly harder to make finds with the Minelabs.

The Deus with the HF coils is also hitting on small gold the Minelabs won't, though this new Equinox Minelab may change that.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the equinox but the Deus may still have it beat on small gold based on the fact hatthe minelab max freq will be 40khz if I recall and the 9" round HF is 56khz and the 9.5" elliptical HF tops out at 72 khz or something like that.

Why the Deus - I think folks pretty much hit on the highlights. Here are a few other neat things about the Deus:

I like how you can set it up for different scenarios and just select the program you want using the +/- key on the fly. Sometimes I switch programs on a specific target to get a handle on it.

All the wireless configurations are neat. You can go with just the coil and the headphones if you want to run in minimalist mode (or protect the control box) or you can plug hard wired headphones into the control box or the WS4 wireless headphone puck (using a third party headphone adapter plate). There are a number of great third party over the ear headphones you can plug the WS4 puck onto instead of the back phones and the WS4 puck is submersible (the control box is not, it has to be placed in a waterproof enclosure. For these reasons I recommend the WS4 backphones/detachable puck vs. the WS5 over thear phones that don't have the detachable puck and are not submersible.

If you have two coils (each with at least a lower shaft) the wireless phones and the control box, then you have two detectors, one coil can be connected to the headphones wirelessly and the other can be separately connected to the control box (and you can then use the control box speaker or plug in a set of cheap wired phones) and voila - two separate detectors.

Just a great all around detector that really excels in iron and trash infested sites and which is also a pretty good gold machine with the new HF coils.

i also personally like the integrated wireless pinpointer (extra cost accessory plus it is a mixed bag experience for some users because you are hearing it through the Deus headphones - it is a blessing and a curse sometimes because you can't use the coil and pinpointer simultaneously so some have found switching back and forth to be a pain). It works pretty well for me though I think they are still working out some connectivity glitches that affect some users with a soon to be released software patch. (BTW -free software/firmware patches for life - end user downloadable and easily installed via PC.

HTH

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing I'd like to add; ease of transport. Occasionally I hunt out in the woods, hiking & biking there.
The deus easily fits in my backpack, while the White's V3 & ML Explorer are less pleasant to hike with.

I use the deus everywhere except modern sites. There the V3 excels in offering more discrimination & info on the target, the Explorer is a back-up machine.
The V3 in my soil is far deeper then both the deus and ML, it also handles EMI better then the Deus.

If you just made the switch, the deus will feel weird with it's signals at first. Other then that, it's pretty straight forward.
I also suggest watching youtube vids to see how the machine sounds and acts.

OP
OP
New York Metal Detecting
Mar 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
White's TreasurePro
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

OP
OP
New York Metal Detecting
Mar 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
White's TreasurePro
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in the Albany, NY area but no longer live in the state.

WEIGHT - I have swung a DFX, its relatively light and very well balanced. In comparison swinging a Minelab (Explorer, eTrac, CTX) will be like swinging a gallon of milk they are nose heavy boat anchors. A top reason I chose the Deus was its light weight, I have a highly accurate scale and weighed it, with the 11 inch LF coil it weighs 2.24 lbs. My Explorer SE Pro with the X1 probe a whopping 4.75 pounds.

The Deus will be a lot more difficult to learn and use. Target ID of the Explorer (I recommend an SE Pro with the 11 inch SE Pro coil) is superior to the Deus within the Explorer's depth range, various NY soils its good to 8 inches on cents and dimes, a bit deeper on quarters and larger. If you can handle the machine's weight. ML screwed up the eTrac and CTX target ID in comparison but I won't get into that.

On the other hand, what's left to dig at sites pounded hard now by Minelabs for 16 plus years? That's an issue. I'll tell you what's left, deep targets the ML can't reach but the Deus can, targets really masked by rusty nails the Deus can hit on, and (to be confirmed but looks promising) coins on edge or slightly on edge the ML can't get a hit on. That was part of the reason I purchased the Deus, its getting increasingly harder to make finds with the Minelabs.

The Deus with the HF coils is also hitting on small gold the Minelabs won't, though this new Equinox Minelab may change that.
Thank you. Yes I too am keeping an eye on the Minelab Equinox 800. I am looking forward to seeing reviews on YouTube here soon. I also prefer the price range of the Equinox. I am still keeping an eye on both of the Equinox and the Deus.

57buick

Greenie
Sep 18, 2017
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
CTX3030
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a Deus and a High Frequency coil and you will love it. It is about the deepest, most sensetive detector you will ever find at this point. And the lightest on the market while running circles around most other detectors.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am considering an Equinox. Two completely different animals. Equinox would fill a niche on the beach and perhaps under some extreme soil conditions. But the Equinox would not replace my everyday detector, and you know what that is.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farm Fields - ML Explorer/eTrac/CTX HATE disturbed soil, makes them unstable and hurts depth so Deus. Minelabs also HATE an air gap between the coil and the soil, it kills depth the coils needs to be scrubbing on the ground. So say a stub corn field or field with some longer grass perhaps the Deus would be better, maybe more experienced Deus users can comment on that.

I took a short hunt this morning in a grown up hay field that I hunted out with my ATP/Tornado coil. even though I had to keep the coil of the Deus 5" to 6" off the ground due to growth I still was able to pull a handful of mini balls and a eagle button.
With the right program the Deus is a relic Monster !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions