Hammered coins - what are your favourite settings?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be mostly yanks here, we don't have a lot of hammered coins in the new world. I will say this, from what I understand, hammered silver "looks" to the detector like a mid-conductor, so using a higher frequency 18 khz for the lf coil, and 26 - 28 khz for the hf coils might be your best bet. A good alternative might be to use Deus Fast out of the box, it is set at 18 khz (for the lf coil) mild discrimination, I like full tones vice the default 3 or 4 tones, high reactivity (3) for separation from junk targets (lower as necessary if you want to trade recovery speed and separation for depth - 2.5 seems to be a sweet spot if you are using V4 software), GB tracking works well if you do not have a lot of junk or highly mineralized soil. The difference between this and the "hot" program, besides some of the user adjustable settings, is that "Hot" and "Deus Fast" use different signal processing filters. Hot uses the v3.2 software filters and Deus Fast uses the v4 filters. So if you built the "Hot" program using Deus Fast as the starting point (instead of Hot), the detector might behave differently. Hope this helps as a starting point.

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari question on GB...first Deus hunts I used pumping/manual which set my GB always about 90 and I wasn't hearing any ground in the tones. stable operation. But I'm wondering if that is too conservative a setting. When I set it to tracking the GB lowered to low to mid 80's. Definitely started hearing some ground tones, less stable, but I'm used to that. I'm wondering if I'm losing depth or something using the pumping/manual GB vs the lower GB setting in tracking mode?

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For hammered coins, quite rare here in the states but I have some silver coins as thin as a hammered. Dimes and half reales worn so thin there are little or no details left just a thin disc of silver, to the extreme a 50% worn off 3 cent silver which is a fraction of the size of a dime and very thin. For these conductivity drops way off.

Given that I think it depends on site conditions. If detecting a rusty nail infested hell hole where target separation is key, setup the Deus for best target separation, so smaller coil, higher reactivity, depth will be less. If detecting a field where iron and coins are spread out and depth is the primary objective then setup the Deus for depth, less reactivity, larger coil, but probably higher frequency in both site conditions due to the small thin nature of hammered coins.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari question on GB...first Deus hunts I used pumping/manual which set my GB always about 90 and I wasn't hearing any ground in the tones. stable operation. But I'm wondering if that is too conservative a setting. When I set it to tracking the GB lowered to low to mid 80's. Definitely started hearing some ground tones, less stable, but I'm used to that. I'm wondering if I'm losing depth or something using the pumping/manual GB vs the lower GB setting in tracking mode?

Charles - you are only losing something if your manual GB setting is consistently set GREATER (by more than 3 points) than your actual GB reading on the Deus. If you use manual and actually pump or manually adjust your GB setting to match your GB reading that is no different than tracking as long as your GB setting and reading are matched within 3 points. It sounds like in your area, based on what you have observed by tracking, that your typical soil phase readings put you in the mid-80's so by setting and forgetting at 90 you indeed may be losing some depth. You should get the same GB reading whether you usual manual (and pump to get the reading) or use tracking GB. Also, be aware of whether you are getting a lot of changes in GB reading at various points on your sites, which is also a good reason to keep it in tracking.

Hope that helps.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try CT Todd settings if you want to try it for hammies. Google him and find his web site where you will find his settings. They may not be for you or they may be. Just giving you another option to try.
GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions