Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deep is 2.0 I know for sure but cant remember off hand what hot is ,I think 3.2 though

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my question was a bit confusing and I'll try to explain better. So you can start with Pitch program which uses V4 filters and customize settings as you please. You can also start with Deus Fast and select Pitch tones from the expert tab in Disc, which I assume also uses V4 filters. But you can also start with program Deep or Hot (which use V2 and V3.2 respectively) and select Pitch Tones from the expert tab in Disc and customize settings. My question is, will the filters be the same if you use the same custom settings, but start with either the Deep Program or Hot Program vs starting with the Deus Fast or Pitch preset programs? Or does selecting the Pitch tone in any of the preset Programs result in using the V4 filters?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my question was a bit confusing and I'll try to explain better. So you can start with Pitch program which uses V4 filters and customize settings as you please. You can also start with Deus Fast and select Pitch tones from the expert tab in Disc, which I assume also uses V4 filters. But you can also start with program Deep or Hot (which use V2 and V3.2 respectively) and select Pitch Tones from the expert tab in Disc and customize settings. My question is, will the filters be the same if you use the same custom settings, but start with either the Deep Program or Hot Program vs starting with the Deus Fast or Pitch preset programs? Or does selecting the Pitch tone in any of the preset Programs result in using the V4 filters?

Think of pitch tones or multi-tones, or full tones as simply a feature setting like discrimination, sensitivity, or reactivity. If you stat with DEUS FAST and switch to pitch tones or PITCH (which uses pitch tones vice multi-tones or full tones by default) the result will be the same with v4 filters/signal processing being used. If you start with Deep or Hot and select Pitch Tones then the v.2 or v.3.2 (as applicable) filters/signal processing will apply. Also, be careful about using the term silencer filters. I've said this before, I do not think that even though Gary Blackwell said "silencer filters", I think the v2, v3.2, v4 filters/signal processing (again as applicable based on the program you start with to build your custom program) applies at all times and each v2/V3.2/V4 filter/signal processing version will behave/sound off differently on targets regardless of the silencer setting (including silencer at -1 = silencer filter off). Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this helps. So theoretically a target could audible using Pitch and starting from Deus Fast, but not audible using the same settings and pitch starting from the Deep program. I wonder if detection depth would be different?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here's the scoop on the mysterious previous version signal processing "filters" that Gary was going on about in his video. I got this information from a written fact sheet that Andy Sabisch put together that will ultimately be part of his update to the handbook reflecting the new V4 software and associated hardware (HF coils and the wireless pinpointer).

Andy says that only the deep program has old V2 signal processing filters. All the other built-in programs (except Gold Field, which is a completely different ALL METAL pitch program altogether) use V4 signal processing filters. Yes this is different than what Gary was saying regarding the Hot program using V 3.2 filters. Andy got his information directly from the XP engineers including Alain Loubet the CEO/CTO of XP. This also makes me think the effect is VERY subtle as I remember a Calabash video testing all "three" filters under identiical settings and targets and we all believed you could tell slight differences in performance. Apparently we were imagining things at least as far as the Hot program was concerned because it is supposedly no different than any other program (other than Deep and Gold Field, that is) if everything else is set identically. To be fair, though, I think one of the configurations gave noticeably scratchier signals under some circumstances and this was likely the Deep configuration with V2 filters (see below).

According to the written information, the V2 signal processing filters apparently give a fuller sound for some deep objects but are more subject to breaking up in the presence of other masking targets such as Iron.

I think the bottom line is that you can really overthink the "secret filter" thing (e.g., I seriously doubt targets will become inaudible with one filter vs. the other) and just remember that the Deep program has these filters and the others do not. HTH

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate this information! I may be overthinking it, but this is important when your trying to scratch out those last masked targets that you know are lurking in the trash and are possibly finds of a lifetime.

Thanks
BH

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can still here them they just sound a LITTLE different that's all . I don't like ver 2 filters or whatever its called though.. lol

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's is different from what gary said and put in his video about the filters... I wonder how he got that wrong ?? That's funny because I really could tell a difference or at least I thought I could lol
OK here's the scoop on the mysterious previous version signal processing "filters" that Gary was going on about in his video. I got this information from a written fact sheet that Andy Sabisch put together that will ultimately be part of his update to the handbook reflecting the new V4 software and associated hardware (HF coils and the wireless pinpointer).

Andy says that only the deep program has old V2 signal processing filters. All the other built-in programs (except Gold Field, which is a completely different ALL METAL pitch program altogether) use V4 signal processing filters. Yes this is different than what Gary was saying regarding the Hot program using V 3.2 filters. Andy got his information directly from the XP engineers including Alain Loubet the CEO/CTO of XP. This also makes me think the effect is VERY subtle as I remember a Calabash video testing all "three" filters under identiical settings and targets and we all believed you could tell slight differences in performance. Apparently we were imagining things at least as far as the Hot program was concerned because it is supposedly no different than any other program (other than Deep and Gold Field, that is) if everything else is set identically. To be fair, though, I think one of the configurations gave noticeably scratchier signals under some circumstances and this was likely the Deep configuration with V2 filters (see below).

According to the written information, the V2 signal processing filters apparently give a fuller sound for some deep objects but are more subject to breaking up in the presence of other masking targets such as Iron.

I think the bottom line is that you can really overthink the "secret filter" thing (e.g., I seriously doubt targets will become inaudible with one filter vs. the other) and just remember that the Deep program has these filters and the others do not. HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread