HF Coil Ticking Time Bomb Warning

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend of mine who detects A LOT and has been using the elliptical coil since the end of Early August with great success had a problem yesterday when the coil died without warning. Since the coil has been working fine since assembly it is likely not the dreaded bent pin problem that a few users identified early on. The symptoms are a broken wire coming from the battery since the coil charge light flickers with the coil on charge and manipulating the wire exposed at the base of the shaft just before it enters the coil. While nothing is confirmed (coil being shipped out for warranty repair on Monday), we suspect the break is likely in that portion of the wire. I think that is going to be an achilles heel design issue in the months to come as that area gets repeatedly flexed when you open and retract the coil for transport. Look out for that one folks. Really hope it is something else that is an isolated one off failure, but concerned it might be a design flaw. Stay tuned.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't seen any problem with mine yet & hopefully that is just an isolated incident, but at least if I do start seeing symptoms, I will know where to look.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did your friend run over it with a truck? Bungee jump? Just kidding. I have one and saw it as a possible fly in the ointment at the get-go from experience with earbuds.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did your friend run over it with a truck? Bungee jump? Just kidding. I have one and saw it as a possible fly in the ointment at the get-go from experience with earbuds.

I think "my friend" was finding too much good stuff with it that I just had to take some wire cutters to it when they weren't looking.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is probably correct. I have found the secret to success for metal detecting is to get off the couch and outside in the dirt! Hours invested make all the difference.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like dirt. Reverting back to my childhood and playing in the dirt cuts down on stress. Actually finding something along the way, bonus!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since day one I was wondering if I should put some of the heat shrink tubing on the cable in that area.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on that. My blood pressure goes down 20 points when I'm out detecting. Need a few years off to get to all the potential sites around here. And the beach. The beach likes me.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So has anyone come up with a good DIY solution to this soon to be issue? I was thinking heat shrinking, but not sure if that will help the issue. 20171022_185020.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heat shrink or anything else would probably void the warranty. Be cautious. Thing doesn't really flex much. Maybe that one just had a weak spot or something.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long have has the Deus been in the states now? 5 years? I can't remember anyone stating that their batteries in the LF coils have died. They seem too be very good batteries. Not sure why Deus felt they had to redesign their detector. Im sure, though, in the coming years more of these LF coils will eventually need new batteries and it will have costs and time lost. They cant last forever

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Vferrari,
I've heard that this maybe a weak point in the setup.
I have a question on the breakage.
So, how did your friend fold the coil when storing it?
Up and over on the stem or down straight out on the stem?
For my LF coils up and over fits my backpack better.
Seems the up and over would cause the sharpest angle to the wiring.
I don't have a HF coil yet, but would like to know for a future purchase.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend is Smokey so ask away.

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a update yet on exactly what was discovered after sending it in for repair and has the XP repair center provided a means/measure to prevent future issues of it happening again if in fact it’s caused by repeated folding of the coil and stem ?

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Bob, we will not get info on that unfortunately so the wire break at the flex point will not be confirmed. The reason being that since the coil was SO new, the dealer accepted the return for exchange rather than Smokey having to send it in to the repair center. I probably should not have put such a definitive tabloid-like attention grabbing subject line since the flaw at the flex joint is just conjecture at this point.

Separately, Smokey will have to describe how the coil was typically stowed.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probably should not have put such a definitive tabloid-like attention grabbing subject line

That was a cool attention getter and I have to ask if this issue is with just 1 of the HF coils or all of them?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heat shrink or anything else would probably void the warranty. Be cautious. Thing doesn't really flex much. Maybe that one just had a weak spot or something.

I've been in the habit of folding the arm down on my HF coil when I'm not using it. I guess that's a habit I should probably stop.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a cool attention getter and I have to ask if this issue is with just 1 of the HF coils or all of them?

Both HF coils are potentially susceptible as the external battery cable design is identical for both. Since the LF coils do not have an external battery they are not susceptible.

I've been in the habit of folding the arm down on my HF coil when I'm not using it. I guess that's a habit I should probably stop.

Probably a good habit to break, but I admit that I am not heeding my own advice out of force of habit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions