Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am just curious about anyone being able to find a small (not tiny) gold chain with the 9 inch coil and the 3.2 program. it would have to a really super shallow chain for me to find it like an inch or two. I use the Fast program with TX3, Reactivity of 2, freq 12 or 18, silencer-1, audio response 4, disc 10 and sens 93. I tried the Gold program with similar results. I know that the hf coils etc seem to do a better job on tiny gold but I am pretty much stuck with the standard coil in 3.2. is there something that I am failing to do or doing wrong? this particular chain was found with an ACE 250 and was 3 -4 inches deep. thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold chain is one of the most difficult targets out there. Even though the ace nailed it originally, you may not be replicating the exact environmental conditions in your present test as existed when it was originally found (ground conditions, was the chain balled up, type of soil, etc.) Have you tried using the Ace side by side with the Deus for this test to see if the Ace is still hitting it harder than the Deus? Also, LOWER reactivity to 1 or even zero (which better matches the Ace recovery speed and maximizes Deus depth at the expense of target separation which is not in play here) and see what you get. I would also see what happens when you lower TX power to 2 and see what that does. Keep frequency at 18 kHz for Max sensitivity to small gold though I believe the Ace runs at 6.5 kHz. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say you got lucky with the ACE 250 on that find. Also just like V said there may have been other factors at play. The Dues is one of the best and most sensitive machines on the market today, with that addition of the 2 high freq... coils its a tough machine to beat in any location and detecting conditions. I would upgrade to V4 get yourself a HF coil if your serious about finding gold.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, don't have the ACE any longer so can't do that. the chain, 18" long was stretched out when dug. I had tried testing it at reactivity of 1 and 0 at 18khz per Andy's book and still pretty shallow. I did compare the xp with the AT Gold and they seemed to be pretty close at depth. I know that the small chains are tough at any depth and I understand that the detector sees only single links instead of the whole chain at once. on bigger gold, rings etc, the deus hits pretty decent. I have yet to find any gold with the deus but I know that I have to swing over it first and dig it as well (it has to be there first in order to find it). I do appreciate the input, thanks guys

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you mention the AT Gold. The ATG operates at 18khz also so I think you just proved the LF Deus Setup can go toe-to-toe with the AT Gold. What more do you need to know? Sounds like the Ace got a favorable signal or the chain is only plated on a high conductor in which case a lower Frequency (like the Ace uses) would fare better depthwise. No way I would expect the Deus to do much better than the ATG and certainly the Ace 250 should not do better on the chain target (all things being equal) than the ATG if it is truly pure gold. Not sure much else to conclude here other than if you want to hit this target harder, you need to get an HF coil. HTH.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus will beat the at gold on a 7 1/2 inch gold hoop earring open in my garden. just saying...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus will beat the at gold on a 7 1/2 inch gold hoop earring open in my garden. just saying...

At what frequency, though, Calabash? Dirtlooter was just using an LF coil.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now you mention the AT Gold. The ATG operates at 18khz also so I think you just proved the LF Deus Setup can go toe-to-toe with the AT Gold. What more do you need to know? Sounds like the Ace got a favorable signal or the chain is only plated on a high conductor in which case a lower Frequency (like the Ace uses) would fare better depthwise. No way I would expect the Deus to do much better than the ATG and certainly the Ace 250 should not do better on the chain target (all things being equal) than the ATG if it is truly pure gold. Not sure much else to conclude here other than if you want to hit this target harder, you need to get an HF coil. HTH.

I was afraid that you would say that, guess I will just have to deal with it for a while

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

yeah I saw your video on that, but you were using hf at a higher freq wasn't it?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was afraid that you would say that, guess I will just have to deal with it for a while

Don't fret there are plenty more high conductor targets to be found than gold chains and the LF Deus will sniff those out the best and it is no slouch on gold. Ironically, I have found more gold with the Deus LF coil than with the HF, but I have only owned the HF for a couple of months so I am sure it will turn up a ring or two one of these days.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't fret there are plenty more high conductor targets to be found than gold chains and the LF Deus will sniff those out the best and it is no slouch on gold. Ironically, I have found more gold with the Deus LF coil than with the HF, but I have only owned the HF for a couple of months so I am sure it will turn up a ring or two one of these days.

yeah, I know but I still wonder how many small chains I have missed. I was happy that my deus LF coil did at least as well as the AT GOLD. I also know that to be really serious about digging gold that is in the foil range means digging a lot of foil. that gets old real quick....I say that and I dig a lot of pull rings and tabs. I don't see a problem with a decent gold ring, and I have a twisted 10 kt one that hits pretty good (I had found this one with the AT). Thanks again for your help and time

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how many gold chains are lost in the dirt vs. the beach but knowing that I may have passed my coil over them and missed is not really keeping me up a night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread