Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I revisited an old farmhouse that I detected last year with little success. All I got at that time was one (very nice) crotal bell. But my opportunities near home have been getting very slim, so I hit the road and visited Bernice again. Not sure when her farmhouse was built, but it would have been around 1880 or so, I think.

I guess the problem was probably the old powerlines running across the yard and into the house, but whatever it was, the EMI was unbearable at all frequencies available on the LF coil. I tried, and probably covered 1/3 of the yard with it, but with very little success. Finally I switched to the elliptical and 28K, and suddenly the place was alive with targets!!

I dug two crotal bells, a spoon, an old Barlow style pocket knife, a horse tack buckle, a bunch of horse tack iron rings, lantern parts, two Wheaties (1944 and 1919) and two Indian Head pennies (1882, and a very nice 1895). Also interesting is a brass disk, about 3" across (roughly) with the words, "Village Marshal" on it.

I don't know how much of my success was the frequency itself, and how much was the fact that 28K ran quietly without the EMI that was interfering on the other frequencies, but frankly, I don't care. I had one of the best days detecting in a while.

TJTItMf.jpg

Thfwgpq.jpg

TMjsZKr.jpg

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that was awesome! congrats. another selling point of the hf coils and frequencies. pretty darn cool, I know that Calabash says how quiet his is in his yard.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think autocorrect kinda messed with you up there in the first parapgraph. What kind of bell was that, again? Lol.

Anyway, regardless, you killed it at that site. Congrats!

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great hunt!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IB -

Followup - Did you attempt to detect at the lower frequency of the elliptical or just went straight to 28 K because of the LF coil performance? If the elliptical was quieter than the lf at 13, 14, or 15 k, I would hit that site again and see if any deeper high conductors pop up. Another thing you can try if really desperate due to the EMI which otherwise would make the site undetectable is crank notch up to 40's or so for the lower frequencies. You won't lose much in the way of desirable targets and it may knock down some of the broad spectrum noise enough such that you can detect the site at one of the lower frequencies to gain some additional depth against high conductors. Good job though, nice finds all around.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think autocorrect kinda messed with you up there in the first parapgraph. What kind of bell was that, again? Lol.

Anyway, regardless, you killed it at that site. Congrats!

Whoops!! Well, there were two of them, after all.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IB -

Followup - Did you attempt to detect at the lower frequency of the elliptical or just went straight to 28 K because of the LF coil performance? If the elliptical was quieter than the lf at 13, 14, or 15 k, I would hit that site again and see if any deeper high conductors pop up. Another thing you can try if really desperate due to the EMI which otherwise would make the site undetectable is crank notch up to 40's or so for the lower frequencies. You won't lose much in the way of desirable targets and it may knock down some of the broad spectrum noise enough such that you can detect the site at one of the lower frequencies to gain some additional depth against high conductors. Good job though, nice finds all around.

I did try 14K, but even the fact that the elliptical coil is generally quieter, it was still chattering like hell. Whatever was making that racket was almost pure white noise, apparently. Even 28K was picking up a bit of it.

I do hope to get back there before it freezes & will give notch a try. Thanks for the tip.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did try 14K, but even the fact that the elliptical coil is generally quieter, it was still chattering like hell. Whatever was making that racket was almost pure white noise, apparently. Even 28K was picking up a bit of it.

I do hope to get back there before it freezes & will give notch a try. Thanks for the tip.

I learned that trick from a guy who had to deal with a site that had an electric dog fence. Sometimes you gotta make compromises but its nice that 28 k works so well on these HF coils. Not sure you lose all that much depth on the high conductors even at that frequency because the coils seem so efficient.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there bud.

Congrats.
Elliptical HF coil rocks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great dig. I had the same experience today with the 28k frequency.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
"Also interesting is a brass disk, about 3" across (roughly) with the words, "Village Marshal" on it."

I've got a pin almost like yours... but mine says "Village IDIOT" :tongue3:

Great bunch of finds.. Congrats

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Also interesting is a brass disk, about 3" across (roughly) with the words, "Village Marshal" on it."

I've got a pin almost like yours... but mine says "Village IDIOT" :tongue3:

Great bunch of finds.. Congrats

Rats! For a second there, I thought that you knew something about that Village Marshal tag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread