XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a little "catch and release" detecting in at an archeological site today as a warmup for later this week. Tried the GF program recommended by Andy S. against my normal minimum discrimination program on some medium hot soil and both ferrous and non-ferrous targets. This is bad soil but still not as bad as Culpeper. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 up the bargraph. Cut grass field.

This is not scientific as I was limited due to this being more of a work site with cataloging etc. so I do not (ironically, considering the cataloging taking place) have video or pics but was able to do a couple side-by side comparisons of the Deus programs.

"Discrimination Program" (Frequency as described below, Disc at -6.4, Sens at 90, Rx at 2 to 2.5, Silencer 0)
"Gold Field Program" (Frequency as described below, Iron Audio Reject (IAR) = 5, Sens 90, Rx (as described), Threshold barel audible)

Flat Button at 5": Disc Program - not audible at either 14 or 28 khz, GF Program - audible but no target ID, 28 khz was a little louder

Gardiner Bullet at 5": Disc Program - not audible at either 14 or 28 khz, GF Program - audible but no target ID, 28 khz was a little louder

Square Nail at 7": Disc Program -Definite Iron Grunt at either frequency, Target ID = 00 or no TID. GF Program - IAR definitely broke up the iron signal. Liking the IAR as a means to ID iron (except as noted below)

Thick, round (2.5" diameter, 1/2 inch "tall" and 1/4" "thick") iron ring - Disc Program - Rang up a sweet high 80's, Low 90's tone depending on frequency. GF - Also rang up with similar TID and though Iron, did not break up with IAR. So the deus still gets fooled by those perfectly circular ferrous targets.

So I am like the GF program. It gives me a target signal, though at decent depths, no target ID and the IAR does a pretty good job at telling me whether I am hitting on a ferrous or non-ferrous target.

I will tell you, though. This outing was a warmup to get my Minelab GPX ears tuned in for an upcoming 3-day hunt and there is no doubt that the GPX rules in this hot Virginia Soil both on depth and ability to ID targets by tonal quality. I will be testing the Deus at Culpeper but my primary machine will be the GPX. I am really optimistic about the IAR giving the Deus a respectable showing in Culpeper, however.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been out messing with Reactivity 3 and 4 with the round HF coil and I must say the depth with Freq 14 and even 28 are impressive. However, the high conductor silver is tougher to capture. I also feel that the pitch mode gets a little deeper than both the multi-tones and the full tones at the same settings. I don't know if this is just the way I hear or if there is something different in the way the control module processes non ferrous in the pitch mode vs any other mode (excluding GF)?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread