Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very happy for you.Im thinking about it myself still not sure.please post your finds/opinions and good luck.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins on edge, HF elliptical works.
I love my elliptical HF coil.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In heavy iron area it is my go to coil. It really hits hard on the small stuff, like tiny jewelry and old crackerjack type toys

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only downside I can see to adding the hf elliptical coil to the arsenal is that now I want the 9" round hf.....

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the round and elliptical hf coils for Deus.
The smaller elliptical will keep you busy for a while, I promise.

Put it this way, on an old site, say early 1800s to mid 1800s, if it has never been detected before, you drop the elliptical HF coil in there, all I can say is you had better be wearing your digging shoes. Lol

It is unbelievable in my soil, how this smaller coil keeps snatching goodies.
In areas where I have gobs of hours with Deus and LF coils.

Now, one thing I think is causing is a combination of my soil minerals and iron decomposition, and ferrous materials still intact.

So in milder ground maybe not so many finds found behind Deus and LF coil useage.

Better be on guard too for some different sounding targets.
Bottom line if the target don't grunt, using full tones and say -1 or 0 disc,, DIG it out.

I dare someone who detects and lives near me to tell me a site has been purged of all nonferrous.
I'll drop this elliptical coil in there and show them a thing or two.

Btw, sure a person can find some smaller goods, but I have been finding some coin sized goodies even larger too.

This fall and winter, surely to goodness based on what I have seen performance wise out of this elliptical coil, someone someway somehow has to find one of the tiny gold $1 coins using the small HF coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with you TN - the elliptical is a great coil, but just because you go and find stuff with it where you think you've been before or to a hunted out site, really doesn't mean anything because there is no such thing. You would find a lot of these targets with any coil but the HF excels for iron infested ground, coin is on edge, or you are looking for deeper/difficult mid-conductor targets like gold, chains, and brass.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with you TN - the elliptical is a great coil, but just because you go and find stuff with it where you think you've been before or to a hunted out site, really doesn't mean anything because there is no such thing. You would find a lot of these targets with any coil but the HF excels for iron infested ground, coin is on edge, or you are looking for deeper/difficult mid-conductor targets like gold, chains, and brass.

The sites I have run elliptical, I have lived in practically with LF coils on Deus. Like for 4 plus years.
Very contaminated ground, with rust, red bricks, iron, nails.
One of 2 things has happened.
Either I didn't learn how to run a LF coil on Deus or this HF coil is turning some of these targets into nonferrous kinda tone, vs the LF coils.

I broke a rather long record of no silver anything in this site really.
In the last 3 plus years found one silver coin with Impact while testing.
And since getting the elliptical HF coil, I have found 3 silvers.
One real small Spanish bit, one what I call standard sized one bit, and a half dime.

And the hunting hours to get these 3 silvers, not that long on what is really 3 sites spaced apart a couple hundred yards.

Actually, I think a good part of the elliptical coil perforce is attributed to how quiet it runs, even when jacked up sens wise.
A person can really study any sounds made.

Whatever is happening, I sure do like what has happened so far using it.
I sleep with the coil under my pillow.
What does that say?

Old CW sites should be fun to blast with this coil.

XP made a good one here.
I would have loved to have witnessed how they tested this baby during development.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. I love the HF Elliptical coil. It's performance at the beach is outstanding and it's super quiet.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old CW sites should be fun to blast with this coil.

XP made a good one here.
I would have loved to have witnessed how they tested this baby during development.

We'll see about that in about a week. Will post back with the results. Challenging sites because the soil is so mineralized, full of iron farm junk and square nails, and the sites have been hit so hard over the years most people use Minelab GPX detectors to get depth because the "surface" finds are practically gone. Still, even with the LF coil and the Gold Field program variant, I have snagged some good targets, mostly bullets. I own a GPX and hunt primarily with it when I go to these sites but have not hit them with the Deus with v4 software and the hf coil (9" round in my case) and would like to see how it does on mid conductors in this soil. The GPX is great and deep, but still can get fooled by nails sounding like mid-conductors or completely blanking on big iron. I strap the Deus to my daypack and switch between it and the GPX in certain areas depending on the finds and localized soil conditions and definitely use the Deus to scan dirt piles removed from pits and huts. Hoping that the Deus HF will sniff out some brass hardware or buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread