pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update: 9 inch HF coil, reactivity 1 for depth, sens 90, desc -6.4, running 14.4 kHz. .
(Edited original post)

I'm not tech savvy and will probably never be, so help me out with this as it might be so simple that everyone gets it except me.

So I'm getting the :reactivity 1 for depth
:sens 90
:running 14.4 kHz
But here's the ??? : desc -6.4

Is this a typo -6.4 or a negative 6.4 and if it is how does one obtain a negative setting as I have tried and it stops at 0 ?

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Edited original post)

I'm not tech savvy and will probably never be, so help me out with this as it might be so simple that everyone gets it except me.

So I'm getting the :reactivity 1 for depth
:sens 90
:running 14.4 kHz
But here's the ??? : desc -6.4

Is this a typo -6.4 or a negative 6.4 and if it is how does one obtain a negative setting as I have tried and it stops at 0 ?

Not a typo you can set discrimination to (minus) -6.4 in version 4.x

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not fast you detect, it's how you detect fast? Couldn't resists although that one is getting worn out. And as you know "recover quickly" in a frozen field is a myth.

Yeah, I can only imagine how much would have been vacuumed up the week before at your site had the field not been frozen, considering how much was recovered the the next visit.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To further elaborate on Charles' post. Then XP Deus version 4 software has negative discrimination settings to -6.4 as stated. Don't get too hung up on the negative numbers, I think XP just expanded the resolution and cutoff points of the discrimination settings (which is just basically a software filter). They used negative numbers I believe to give a reference point to users as to what settings would correspond to the "0" disc setting in the previous 3.2 version software. The "lower" negative settings just make the detector more sensitive to low end, tiny ferrous-like materials including metal particle containing ceramics and masonry pieces that are telltale signs of old dwelling sites. Those lower disc readings drive you nuts in highly mineralized soils that contain high concentrations of magnetic ferric oxides.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

To further elaborate on Charles' post. Then XP Deus version 4 software has negative discrimination settings to -6.4 as stated. Don't get too hung up on the negative numbers, I think XP just expanded the resolution and cutoff points of the discrimination settings (which is just basically a software filter). They used negative numbers I believe to give a reference point to users as to what settings would correspond to the "0" disc setting in the previous 3.2 version software. The "lower" negative settings just make the detector more sensitive to low end, tiny ferrous-like materials including metal particle containing ceramics and masonry pieces that are telltale signs of old dwelling sites. Those lower disc readings drive you nuts in highly mineralized soils that contain high concentrations of magnetic ferric oxides.

Ok thanks guys I learnt something.
So that been said I take it I have 3.2 version software installed, and would have to go online to do the downloading of version 4 is this correct? (Little person screaming inside "NO not this again!") I'm feeling not good about doing this as I remember doing this with a Minelab and it went down hill for doing an online software upgrade. I ended up driving 2.5+hrs to the local dealer getting them to do the update, then driving to the airport to catch a plane to England to hunt-stress,stress,stress.

Ok as you see there's some past baggage here.:laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What does version 4 have over 3.2?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Version 4 has:

Support for HF Coils
Support for MI6 Pinpointer
Support for Cell Phone companion app
Disc to -6.4
Reactivity setting of 2.5 is now an option (in addition to 0 - 5)
Improved Ground Balance Tracking Algorithm
Improved Gold Field Algorithm
Choice of X-Y screen display instead of Horseshoe Screen and can be an option for each custom program
Additional Frequency range choices for discrete tones in multi-tone mode
New "Hot" and "Deep" built-in stock programs

Probably a few other things I am forgetting.

The update is not that daunting. Check out a You Tube video to familiarize yourself with a walkthrough of the prompts.

Version 4.1 is imminent which fixes some comms issues between the Deus and the MI6 pinpointer and has some other minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

(Note that I personally do not recommend d/l the 4.1 Beta which is available for d/l because it is, well, a beta and is therefore unpredictable. In fact, I do not plan on getting the 4.1 final release until I hear some field reports on its reliability).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread