HF Coils- Full Tones, Pitch, Multi-Tones Best?

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question, I would say hunting style, hunting location/conditions would apply to each hunt. I normally start off at a site at 15Khz using the elliptical HF then switch to a custom 30Khz program. I run the Deus very hot so I don't mind some noise from the machine. I am also a fan of using a discrimination of 5.5 with 15Khz and then -6.5 when using the 30Khz program and digging all high tones as I hunt with full tones. Sometimes I will switch it up and use pitch but I find myself looking at the remote to see the VDI's since once you go over a certain discrimination you start loosing depth.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can run a 10 discrim in my test garden with no neg effects

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really trashy, any multitone or pitch program with about 10 disc is a good unmasked vs. Full tones which can be affected by tone and target ID "blending" in which the tone and target Id's are pulled down or averaged due to the presence of iron. Why not just use disc with full tones, that ca work but the you lose any iron volume whatsoever in the discriminated region. Disc does not affect detection depth of non-ferrous targets until you crank it above about 15 (just to be sure, I do not disc above 10).

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wished they would have put a iron vol on full tones...

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So both Pitch and Multi-Tones set up correctly can produce a good sound for good targets at the same depth in iron with Disc 10 (2 ways to skin the same cat)? The other question I have is there something significant about Disc 6.1 since most of the preset programs start with it? And I agree with Calabash- full tones needs to incorporate iron vol when Disc is set. Maybe Deus will incorporate in the next update?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP states (via Andy Sabisch) that if you set Disc below 6 (regardless of which tone mode you select) the horseshoe ferrous/non ferrous indicator and relative target depth indicator becomes unstable/unreliable so the XP-based presets (i.e. everything but Gary's Hot and Deep programs and of course the Gold Field program) set disc at 6.1 minimum, accordingly. Andy states (but I have not yet verified) that with disc set below 6, iron volume in the multi-tone and pitch modes does not work.

This info is fresh from Andy's Deus Bootcamp Session in Gettysburg this weekend.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not noticed any ill effects of running disc below 6 on the depth meter.
I typically run my disc at -6.4, the lowest setting possible.

However the horseshoe icon (ferr/non-ferr) is not reliable. I go by sound anyway, so..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread