Eliptical picks silver & tiny gold out of the iron again

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for 1 1/2 hours to the iron infested lake beach and made a few finds.

Been running a modified FAST program in full tones and it has been doing well for me.

The little gold religious figure looks like it was attached to a ring or pendent at one time.

The round thing has a pinback. The gold find rang up in the 40's. The ring is a kids junk ring. 5 wheaties.

I am also posting 2 short videos showing the mineral/iron content of the sand. The DEUS really shines in this crap.

IMG_7900.JPG

You can see the mineral meter is almost always pegged.

Here's a quick vid of me sticking the magnet that I attached to my scoop handle into the sand.

ystfrk

Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice finds!

What modifications did you use on the fast program?

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice finds!

What modifications did you use on the fast program?

Thanks
HF Coil
FAST program with these changes
sens up as high as i can and still be stable...94 or so
GB tracking
Full tones
Reactivity 5
iron 2
I use this only at this particular beach.

I know this is not a deep program, but I don't care, as at this beach as there is so much iron junk. I just listen for a solid repeatable signal, VDI 40 on up. Or if I get a high tone with no VDI I still dig. I remove all iron, nails, etc. Multiple times after removing big iron I found good targets.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did well congrats!

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What frequency are you using? 28 or 74?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a reminder to everyone out there, when using full tones, even though you can set iron volume, it actually has no effect.

Anything that would otherwise normally give a target ID in the discriminated range will be silent. Depending on where you set discrimination (6.1 is the default for Deus Fast if I recall) then "ferrous" above 6.1 will have a tone (still independent of iron volume setting) and anything below 6.1 will not be heard (regardless of iron volume setting). This, to me, is one of three minor drawbacks to using full tones (the others being ferrous "down averaging" of non-ferrous targets when using minimal discrimination, and the fact that you cannot set the full tone breakpoints - an advantage and a disadvantage). I am not saying "don't use full tones". I.e., no need for Toothpick to change up what he is doing and obviously being successful at. I just wanted to mention the little factoid about iron volume because I see it often listed as a setting when folks are laying out their full tone custom program settings.

However, where you set iron volume IS important if you use multi-tones and can be useful if you are using the technique of searching in a full tones custom program and then simply shifting to "multi-tones" or "pitch" mode by simply changing the "tones" expert setting on your custom full tones program (without changing the discrimination setting itself). Switching to multi-tones can help mitigate the down averaging issue (provided you are using discrimination) yet allows you to hear the iron using iron volume; and switching to pitch (which is basically "two tone" with iron volume as Tone 1 (below the disc breakpoint") and pitch as the non-ferrous umasking Tone 2). A very effective unmasking technique I have use to some limited success in iron infested sites. By simply switching the "tone" setting on your custom full tones program then you can save on your precious 7 custom program slots which tend to get used up for me because I like to set up clone custom programs for my most frequently use operating frequencies for both my LF and HF coils. For example, Slot 11 - Full Tones/No Disc 8 khz, Slot - 12 Full Tones/Disc 10, 8 Khz, Slot 13 - Full Tones/No Disc 12 khz, Slot 14 - Full Tones/Disc 10, 12 khz, Slot 15 - Full Tones/No Disc 10 28 khz, Slot 16 - Full Tones/Disc 10, 28 Khz, Slot 17 - Gold Field/No IAR 12 khz, Slot 18 - Gold Field/IAR=5, 12 khz. Note all programs that are less than 14 khz will default to 14 khz on the HF coil. The latter two GF programs I use for relic hunting under highly mineralized conditions (essentially all metal mode where I am just looking for a repeatable pitch tone with no iron reject). If I get a repeatable buzz then I shift over to IAR = 5 to see if the repeatable pitch tone breaks us indicating ferrous. Across the board I am typically running reactivity at 2 to 2.5.

I know a lot of extraneous information and sorry I hi-jacked your thread, Toothpick, but I just wanted to get the iron volume setting info out there for full tones and let people judge for themselves whether these other programs may be of use in high iron and/or high mineralization situations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What frequency are you using? 28 or 74?

This trip I used the lowest freq, but in the past I have also used the 28. I rarely use the 74. I like the elliptical because it also allows me to get in between rock etc.

One thing I don't care for is at this particular beach when using the higher freqs -28 and 74- the hot rocks really sound off and start getting annoying.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you find that setting GB to tracking drags the Deus’s performance down a bit, where the initial sweep over a good target sounds a little iffy then swing back over it a few times sounds better vs manual GB?

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you find that setting GB to tracking drags the Deus’s performance down a bit, where the initial sweep over a good target sounds a little iffy then swing back over it a few times sounds better vs manual GB?

If the first sweep sounds weak/iffy and then multiple short sweeps sometimes loses the signal for me .....when in ground tracking mode. Almost like it balances out the very weak signal.

I am only going on my experience at this one site that is loaded with iron and iron dust. If I don't track GB and leave it at 90, sometimes there is a 20+ POINT SWING IN GB.....so I don't know which is better, lately I just left it on tracking mode.

I don't know if my setup would be practical anywhere else, but it works for me at this one particular iron infested beach.

I went there again today for a hour and didn't find any old coins, but I bumped the freq up to 28 for a while and dug some neat old jewelry and a old toy typewriter.

The one pin looks to be silver but I cant find any marks. The other was maybe Cloisonne. Not much but it was fun.

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7904.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread