Mi-6

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far not impressed past the hearing it through my headphones. But in it's defense I've only used it twice.
Taking my TRX with me tomorrow just in case. Might even do a side by side test.

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fisher labs has a PI pin pointer there fixin to sell. Any body know anything yet??

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you been using the Mi-6? Hows it working out?

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used it twice. I think while its a decent pinpointer the software needs tweaking. My headphones quit working twice. First time I rebooted the headphones and all was good. Second time I turned the pinpointer off and on several times and they started working. The pinpointer did not work a couple of times when I turned it on which I think was due to improper button pushing. Hoping it's just a learning curve on my part. But the coil shut off every time.
But like I say it could be my unfamiliarity with the new tech.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used it twice. I think while its a decent pinpointer the software needs tweaking. My headphones quit working twice. First time I rebooted the headphones and all was good. Second time I turned the pinpointer off and on several times and they started working. The pinpointer did not work a couple of times when I turned it on which I think was due to improper button pushing. Hoping it's just a learning curve on my part. But the coil shut off every time.

XP is aware of those disconnect/reconnect issues and will attempt to address it in the 4.1 update. I have found that issue varies depending on what coil I am using, perhaps that is why XP has had 4.1 in Beta for so long as they try to zero in on a comprensive fix. When it does crop up (once or twice an hour on average for me), I just cycle the pinpointer and it recovers. Not dissimilar to the delay that happens when you turn off the control box before the phones pick up the coil themselves, sometimes you just have to wait a bit before they resync. Hopefully XP will get it debugged soon. Frankly, I am surprised at how well it works right now when you consider XP is managing wireless handoffs between up to 4 receiver-transmitters (the control box, the headphones, the coil, and the pipointer).

Regarding sensitivity performance, as I mentioned in another thread, using it in pitch mode with a slight threshold buzz is where I find it really shines in ferreting out the target. I like it so much that I brought it along in the field as my main pinpointer, using the backphones slung around my neck while hunting relics in hot dirt with a Minelab GPX PI machine. Standalone mode for the pinpointer is more like the carrot and does not have pitch mode so I had to use the phones. Just turned the pp on and off as needed and the headphones picked it up just fine even with no coil present. Big fan of that thing as you can tell, but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That happens to me pretty regularly, and I'm not afraid of saying that I'm pretty darned unhappy with XP for not having a fix out yet. Our season has about come to an end here and I still have a pin pointer that cost me quite a bit more than a carrot that still has connection issues that they haven't fixed.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happens to me pretty regularly, and I'm not afraid of saying that I'm pretty darned unhappy with XP for not having a fix out yet. Our season has about come to an end here and I still have a pin pointer that cost me quite a bit more than a carrot that still has connection issues that they haven't fixed.

Perhaps they bit off more complexity than they could handle. Like I said, I am surprised they can even get four things wirelessly talking to each other at the same time, much less reliably. Sometimes XP tends to look at what they accomplished technologically and as engineers become enamored with their own technical accomplishment, not realizing that in the real world, you really need pretty much flawless performance. If the problem is too technologically complex to achieve that, then it may not be worth the trip. They tend to be engineers first, businessmen and detectorists second and they tend to miss that second part of the equation as they get caught up in the technology. That may be because XP's CEO is an engineer's engineer first and foremost and everything else seems to be secondary in priority but that has also resulted in an incredible detector with some cutting edge technology that some of the more established detector companies would tend to shy away from from a business risk standpoint (presuming they had the engineering talent to pull it off in the first place).

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps they bit off more complexity than they could handle. Like I said, I am surprised they can even get four things wirelessly talking to each other at the same time, much less reliably. Sometimes XP tends to look at what they accomplished technologically and as engineers become enamored with their own technical accomplishment, not realizing that in the real world, you really need pretty much flawless performance. If the problem is too technologically complex to achieve that, then it may not be worth the trip. They tend to be engineers first, businessmen and detectorists second and they tend to miss that second part of the equation as they get caught up in the technology. That may be because XP's CEO is an engineer's engineer first and foremost and everything else seems to be secondary in priority but that has also resulted in an incredible detector with some cutting edge technology that some of the more established detector companies would tend to shy away from from a business risk standpoint (presuming they had the engineering talent to pull it off in the first place).

That may well be true... probably is, actually. But it was a pretty expensive lesson for them to learn (I hope they learned it!) at their customers' expense.

I know that you like yours regardless of connectivity issues, but I bought mine primarily for the wireless connectivity. I already had a black Garrett and an orange Garrett. Didn't really need another one that did the same job.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it didn't have pitch mode and what that brings to the table in terms of sensitivity, I would be screaming at the top of my lungs at having just a garrett carrot I could hear in my headphones. With that mode it just blows away my garrett in terms of performance, so I am willing to take the good that comes with tolerating the bad, for the time being.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it didn't have pitch mode and what that brings to the table in terms of sensitivity, I would be screaming at the top of my lungs at having just a garrett carrot I could hear in my headphones. With that mode it just blows away my garrett in terms of performance, so I am willing to take the good that comes with tolerating the bad, for the time being.
I don't see any difference in sensitivity, but maybe that's your soil. We have low mineralization here.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. Ground cancelling the carrot in the high mineralized soil tends decrease it's overall sensitivity. The mi6 tends to be more immune to that, I guess because XP says (not documented in writing) that it is a PI detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread