another good day of detecting especially in late November in WNY

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, Mark and i got out to an old existing farm house today and got a few interesting things. I found the smallest ox knob that i've ever seen, a 1892 Indian Head, a badge from the Grand Army of the Republic 1897 encampment in Buffalo, New York and an angel pin that looks old too. Mike found a large copper that we can't ID yet and a Indian Head. Mark found 2 Mercs, a brass wedding band and a large bell that we are not sure if it's a Conestoga bell or not. i also found this trigger guard and i wonder if anyone can guess how old it might be.
PB290924A.jpg
20171129_124501A.jpg
20171129_134007A.jpg
PB290916A.jpg
PB290933A.jpg
PB290934A.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Gene. Congrats to you and your buds. Glad the weather is still cooperating in WNY. What settings are working for you?

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!!! Congrats!!! Yeah I'm curious what settings you are running as well...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds! I'm setting here sick cant wait to get better and join the hunt ....

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup sure looks like finds from western ny, nice job love the bell

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, Gene. Congrats to you and your buds. Glad the weather is still cooperating in WNY. What settings are working for you?

first and foremost for me now to is use disc at at least 8 to 10 to settles things down. then I go from there. I am using the stock 5 tones program but am working on a custom multi tones program that I am going to contact you about as soon as I can. but I switch between multi tones and full tones to see the difference. it seems like there are times that I would miss a target if I were in full tones. the rest of my settings are:
sens 90 to start and adjust from there
tx 3 to start
iron vol 1
freq 12
react 2 silencer 0
multi tones is weird to start using since I've used full tones from the start but since I wear hearing aids I know that i'm missing some tones so hopefully multi tones will help with that.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first and foremost for me now to is use disc at at least 8 to 10 to settles things down. then I go from there. I am using the stock 5 tones program but am working on a custom multi tones program that I am going to contact you about as soon as I can. but I switch between multi tones and full tones to see the difference. it seems like there are times that I would miss a target if I were in full tones. the rest of my settings are:
sens 90 to start and adjust from there
tx 3 to start
iron vol 1
freq 12
react 2 silencer 0
multi tones is weird to start using since I've used full tones from the start but since I wear hearing aids I know that i'm missing some tones so hopefully multi tones will help with that.

Yeah, I am starting realize the benefit of using disc under certain site conditions and likewise where multi-tones has advantages vs. Full tones under certain conditions. There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all solution when it comes to applying disc and tones.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi tones with disc definitely outperforms full tones zero disc in nail board type tests but on iron infested sites you will grow tired of digging all the iron with multi tones and discrimination. In my opinion full tones zero disc is best at identifying ferrous from nonferrous. Especially on sites with lots of iron larger than nails

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a good hunt. My favorite photo is the one with the hard worked gloves holding the bell.
Classic picture that should be framed and hanging in your home with your finds. Best of luck Gene!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a good hunt. My favorite photo is the one with the hard worked gloves holding the bell.
Classic picture that should be framed and hanging in your home with your finds. Best of luck Gene!

That would be great, except those aren't Gene's hands, I can tell from the nails. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread