Special Programs

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Good Morning All

Well i have had the Deus for two weeks and a total of about 20 hours detecting on it and trying out programs.
I do like like it due to the selectable frequencies. I also have a AT Pro and Max.

My initial thoughts-
AT Max VDI output on small targets is better- as for depth - still up in the air.

What I am looking for is a good program that helps discriminate very high trash area... not just iron but tin cans also.

Old can tops come in very nice on the XP just as it does on the Garrett. XP is better at “sound” difference but I am trying to save “figure it out time”

Any suggestions?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best advice for not digging lots of trash is to not hunt trashy areas. If I had to hunt trashy areas to consistently find good stuff then I probably would have quit the hobby pretty early on. If I must hunt trashy areas, I still use my same zero discrimination program but just move much slower and listen for the deeper tones.

Last edited:

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The figure it out time for me has been the process of training my ear and brain to the wide variety of signal responses the Deus makes.
I started out with it in trashy parks with particularly difficult soil conditions and had many hurdles to overcome.
I also used the stock programs until I gained more familiarity with the machine and my ear became familiar with the signal responses. I’ve been using Gary’s sifter program with both 9” LF and HF coils recently and it has been particularly useful in several of the more challenging areas I detect.
Best of luck and happy hunting.
Bob

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever you do in the beginning use the same set of tones so you can learn the nuances of those tone.... full tones, 5 tones, 3 tones or what ever stick with one or you will be spinning your wheels

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this video that Calabash put on youtube hunting a trashy site. It is amazing to me how the detector sniffs out coins with this program. See what you think. I hunted in a place with this much trash on Saturday with my X=terra and had no luck. My Deus will be here Thursday and I can't wait to try this program.

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sifter Program ROCKS!!!

5F8298FC-883B-4CC9-8D2A-9A254C407E80.jpeg

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go over the area with the max first . My ATP can tell me a crown cap every time . My deus can not . I tried the wiggle back buzz thing and decided to dig a what I thought was a bottle cap . It was an IHP , so I may have missed many coins with my deus ? I bought the deus to go over a site I cleaned with my ATP that I found many old coins and is littered with crown caps . At first I thought the deus was picking up the coins my ATP missed when in fact I ended up digging all the caps my ATP left behind . I found one silver dime my ATP missed at this spot with the deus and that was it . I can not take the deus back there as it is a waste of time . The deus is more of a old house machine than it is a park machine . I will be looking in to the new minelab .

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crown caps are tough but have noticed some tonal nuances to them in full tones.... I don't park hunt so I don't deal with hundreds of them a day but have noticed SOME have a nuanced tone to them. I showed a video of the AT MAX about disc and iron audio over on the garrett forum.. I showed the max on a 10 inch dime and other deep coins with disc no disc and checking it with iron audio.... Moral of the story is I think some of those targets that people are checking with iron audio MIGHT just be deep silver coins? How many deep silvers have you dug in the 7 to 10 inch range? check the video out and let me know what you think..

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could run disc up to 10 and quiten it down some or setup a 5 tone to where you like it tone break wise.
What this video that Calabash put on youtube hunting a trashy site. It is amazing to me how the detector sniffs out coins with this program. See what you think. I hunted in a place with this much trash on Saturday with my X=terra and had no luck. My Deus will be here Thursday and I can't wait to try this program.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not own the max and do I not know if the caps sound the same on it as the ATP . I only have about 70 to 80 hrs on my deus and I can not say I know the machine 100% yet . This crown cap deus thing will drive you nuts trying to wiggle every crown cap when there are 100s of them .How can a $500 machine do what a $1500 machine can not ? Other than that the deus is awesome . Light weight , hits deep . I watched the vid and in nails nothing beats a deus .

I have a spot where the ATP will not even work because of nails . Both machines have their place .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Calabash said no wiggle necessary once you train your brain to the tonal nuance. It is especially noticeable when running the HF Coil. Crown caps have a high but hollow tone vs. Coins which ping high with a solid tone. It actually works best when you are at a site with lots of crown caps because the difference between the crown cap sound and the coin sound is repeatedly reinforced. In fact at a recent seeded contest hunt that was using painted crown caps as tokens amongst the coins it was pretty obvious and could call it every time. Now I only get occasionally fooled when I let my guard down and run across the random odd crown cap in the field.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not own the max and do I not know if the caps sound the same on it as the ATP . I only have about 70 to 80 hrs on my deus and I can not say I know the machine 100% yet . This crown cap deus thing will drive you nuts trying to wiggle every crown cap when there are 100s of them .How can a $500 machine do what a $1500 machine can not ? Other than that the deus is awesome . Light weight , hits deep . I watched the vid and in nails nothing beats a deus .

I have a spot where the ATP will not even work because of nails . Both machines have their place .

I'm gonna say something and I think its worth looking at... on the pro (I know this the deus forum.) max and gold.... I know they use iron audio to check to see if it gives a iron buzz on a bottle cap... I was using iron audio on some deep silvers and when I turned it on it gave the old iron buzz to the deep silver coins... Garrett videos show the machine doing that on bottle caps but have you ever checked it say on a 7 to 9 inch silver coin? Might be worth taking a look at...All garrett users seem to think that its perfect at caps how many of them have actually dug 100 or so targets to check and see if the machine is telling them a story??? just saying... Its much like the minelab users claiming the numbers are reliable all the time. You don't know till you dig it. Its true some machines are better than others at certain things but I think some take for granted the machine and what its telling them is gospel.what vefferrai said is very good info. Takes time to get your ears in tune with the machine.

Last edited:

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
I recently hunted a private park (part of a seasonal lake association my family belongs to) that has never been hunted as far as I can tell. It has been around to some extent since the 20's but became well used in the 1940s. The place is littered with two things, wheat pennies and crown caps. My Dad said in the 40s and 50s they would have a field day and they had games where they would toss pennies. I've hunted it for approximately 10-15 hours so far (it's quite large with a large baseball field, maybe 10+ acres). I was hunting mostly in full tones working off Deus Fast. I hunted with the 9"HF and a little with the 11" LF. The first several hours the crown caps were absolutely driving me nuts. By the time I got about 5 hours in I could tell cap from coin almost every time. The only thing that was still fooling me was when the caps were folded up or were partially rotted away. As Vferrari stated the crown caps have a high hollow tone, I can't explain it much better. I had my 10 year old nephew hunting with me a few hours and he started grasping the difference in tone. When I did use the wiggle method off of the caps I noticed not only the change in audio but also the horseshoe would flash on the ferrous side. This park was probably the absolute perfect practicing ground due to the sheer number of caps and wheat pennies and that nothing was over 5" deep. I have dug about 50-60 wheat pennies, several war nickels, a silver Rosie and a Merc along with several dollars in clad and some other misc. items. I have only scratched the surface at this park but it will prob be next spring before I get back up there due to the weather.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your doing well with the deus. It took me a little while to click with the audio , I came from the at pro. I did want to wrap it around the tree a few times but one day it clicked .It will click with you 1942 merc just don't give up.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will never give up .This place I hunt was the town's carnival / fair / gathering spot from the 1880s on . It was a park an athletic field then the 4-h grounds . It is littered with thousands of crown caps . My first year there I dug only coin signals with the pro .Over thirty silver coins including a 1903 S mint dime and a 1872 Canadian quarter .

The next year since coin signals became scarce I started digging mid to low tones . I did this for four months . Nickels , cuff inks, rings and so on .

I bought the deus and headed on over to the spot .Crown cap after crown cap from 84 to 94 VDI . I watched gary's vid on crown caps . I started ignoring the higher signals with a buzz . So I decided to dig a buzzing signal that was seven inches deep and it was a IHP .

I have used the deus for about seventy hours so I am not quite there yet . I think about 150 to 200 hours and I will be dialed in . I have found good things with the deus and to compare it to a machine less than half the price is not rational but with the ATP as I said ....For me anyway I can tell a crown cap no problem from a coin with no wiggle or maybe maybe not .It is a no hassle to say sound that lets you KNOW it is a cap .

I hope it is me and I need more time . Problem is all my spots were hit HARD with my ATP and it has done a very good job of cleaning the areas up in park like areas with caps and can slaw . I do not lean one way on any machine because I think it is the best . I do like the deus a lot but coming from a $500 machine that lets you know it is a cap at four inches and then to have a $1500 machine say ...Ahhhhh maybe , maybe not is a head scratch-er for me . It should be that is a cap and that is a coin .

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree, caps should be easier with the Deus. If the guys at XP could only correlate 2 frequencies at a time we would be golden. Even at half the recover speed I would welcome the option. When I was an Etrac guy, I hunted often with a guy who used an AT Pro. I got the impression that bottle caps were the enemy of the AT Pro because he had me cross check with Etrac often. That was back when the AT Pro first came out so it sounds like that issue has been worked out. I am getting pretty good with bottle cap ID on the Deus but it is sort of a sore spot for me. I got my XP with Version 1 and have gone through all of the versions and really thought the bottle cap thing would be licked by now so as even a new user would have no problem. Even so, it would take a helluva new machine to make me sell the Deus.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Merc, as CD said keep going and you will be where it is not maybe with the audio. No arguing no training necessary with the AT with that grunt but it is also subject to false "negatives" too. I have never pulled a coin with the deus that I called a crown cap befre recovery. And before you say how do you know, I pretty much dig everything when I have the time to do so, because you never know...

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
The caps in the particular park I referenced were almost all in the 84 to 88 range, which is also the range the wheat pennies were in. I don't think I had many that hit even at 89 or higher. I was hunting in 12khz on the LF and 14khz on the HF 9". The Deus has a ton to offer with its tonal range. Obviously, finding a park like I did where the ratio of caps to coins is probably only like 2:1 rather than 50:1 has given me a great opportunity to bridge the Deus learning curve.

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In addition to the comments above about the buzz coming off the edge and tonal differences, I also noticed awhile back that the mineralization bar goes up significantly and many times is at the top when sweeping back and forth over a majority of the caps I encounter.
I thought at first it was strange so for a while I dug every signal that came up that way.... only to find a cap and a pattern to what the machine was telling me.......I have never seen the mineralization bar tick up much if at all on a coin or other good targets yet. I still occasionally dig up a cap that doesn’t push the bar up but it’s not very often.
Hope this helpful,
Bob

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I have used them all...
Drag back buzz, Frequency shift, Hollow tone vs Sharp, but the one that I've had the best luck with calling caps is Bob's.
Using all of the above and adding the mineralization bar rise located at the right of the screen has been the best at calling Caps.
But as always the best discriminator is your digger and a full bag of trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions