If you were buying a deus what coil would you get?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to get the 13 x11 for the large quiet fields I predominantly hunt then switch to my 9” for any iron patches but I wanna try the Equinox so gotta save some cash. Still running V3.2 but seems others like the HF coils. 11” for all around use thus why its probably the top seller

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One coil - 9" HF but since you can't purchase a Deus with a HF coil, I would get the 11" LF w/ the Deus and purchase a 9" HF after the fact. Elliptical HF comes in 3rd. 9" LF great but redundant if I have the 11" LF and 9" HF. No desire for the 11x13, performance/coverage does not justify the weight and added cost to get a 3rd party straight shaft setup to avoid flex on the stock shaft IMO.

Last edited:

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After much investigation and subsequent discussions with our dealer I chose the 11” LF for both machines knowing early on that I would quickly pick up both the 9” HF round and 9x5 HF elliptical coils to broaden the machines capabilities. Interestingly, our dealers remarks at that time, mirror VF’s comments above almost verbatim !!
Today, in spite of some hurdles early on getting my brain and more importantly ears into Deus speak, I’m very pleased with the coils, machine performance and how everything is progressing.
Just my 2 cents.....

Bob

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 9 LF is my pick with the frequency's needed for a relic hunter primarily in the woods.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One coil - 9" HF but since you can't purchase a Deus with a HF coil, I would get the 11" LF w/ the Deus and purchase a 9" HF after the fact. Elliptical HF comes in 3rd. 9" LF great but redundant if I have the 11" LF and 9" HF. No desire for the 11x13, performance/coverage does not justify the weight and added cost to get a 3rd party straight shaft setup to avoid flex on the stock shaft IMO.

I have used my 11X13 coil and have had amazing results. I will admit it is best used for open fields but the extra coverage means that much more ground is covered in a shorter amount of time. And I use the stock shaft with no issues at all. In fact I have it opened all the way out to notch #5 if not a little bit more because I am a taller guy. Yes it does weigh a little bit more but it's not overbearing. I have swung this coil at times anywhere from 8 to 12 hours in a day.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my 11X13 coil and have had amazing results. I will admit it is best used for open fields but the extra coverage means that much more ground is covered in a shorter amount of time. And I use the stock shaft with no issues at all. In fact I have it opened all the way out to notch #5 if not a little bit more because I am a taller guy. Yes it does weigh a little bit more but it's not overbearing. I have swung this coil at times anywhere from 8 to 12 hours in a day.

Glad one of the 11x13 advocates have finally chimed in. We have talked about this previously but no one typically offers a counter argument. I did not have a good experience with the one I played with (borrowed a dealer demo coil), thought the shaft was going to break eventually so I moved on. I still don't see the coverage being all that much more than the 11" but no arguing that it is, by definition, greater coverage. Glad you are having a positive experience.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tough choice. Two great coils. The 9" LF has an edge in the heavy iron but the 11" LF is no slouch in the iron and covers more ground and goes deeper. For my type of hunting, if I was to buy a Deus knowing I would never buy another coil, it would be the 9" LF. But if I knew I would invest in other coils in the future, I would choose the 11" LF with my Deus purchase and then one of the smaller HF coils later on.

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the 9 inch LF coil. I'm still using 3.2 and I'm not sure if I will upgrade anytime soon. I thought about getting the 11 for more open areas but my ground is pretty hot so I don't think I would get any more depth over the 9 and the cost just for a little more coverage isn't worth it to me. I don't hunt parks very often but I did hit an old park last week where the coins are deep and picked up this Seated Dime and some Indians.

iRGKS48.jpg

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I think I would be hunting old parks a lot more if I was find those.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went with 9" LF and have not regretted it so far. The great separation and small size make it usable even in the woods.

Although a 11" LF would be nice for open fields!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt a lot as much as I can get out. I use the 11LF and Elliptical coil and think it's a great set up. I will be adding the 9HF to the bunch soon.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume LF coil is the stock. I bought the Deus with the 9"LF, but got the 11"LF and it stays on. I change the settings a little based on the site, but stick to the bigger coil.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A buddy bought his machine and it came with the 9". When I got mine in April it had the 11", and he wants a larger coil like the 11x13" for depth and coverage. I said maybe he should check out the new HF coils and see if it would be beneficial for field homestead hunting.
My question is how are the HF coils in heavy iron sites? Is the price justified for target desperation?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pepperj the HF coil was made for miniscule bits in crap soil.
General rule lower the frequency for better penetration.
11khz probably best all around in high iron. I use 18khz all the time and can't get the pointer to find some of the bits I find.
A higher frequency makes iron sound better. I think you might lose it with a higher frequency in iron patches. My old fashioned PI I use at the beach would separate easier.
I have to mention I don't look at sceens or numbers. I only use sound so my opinion might be off to most.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepperj the HF coil was made for miniscule bits in crap soil.
General rule lower the frequency for better penetration.
11khz probably best all around in high iron. I use 18khz all the time and can't get the pointer to find some of the bits I find.
A higher frequency makes iron sound better. I think you might lose it with a higher frequency in iron patches. My old fashioned PI I use at the beach would separate easier.
I have to mention I don't look at sceens or numbers. I only use sound so my opinion might be off to most.

Thanks Rick

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an alternate perspective. Note that the HF coils can be run as low as 13 khz so it can be run like a general purpose high conductor deep seeking coil (limited only by it's diameter) or can be run up high to improve separation in iron as well as illuminate mid-conductors (gold, brass relics) or small targets better. Because of that flexibility, it is now my general purpose, everyday coil. If I need more coverage or slightly more depth, I strap on the 11" LF. If I am working in restricted surroundings or need pinpoint separation then I use the elliptical. Oh, and the clincher for me is that the HF coils cost less than the LF coils.

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an alternate perspective. Note that the HF coils can be run as low as 13 khz so it can be run like a general purpose high conductor deep seeking coil (limited only by it's diameter) or can be run up high to improve separation in iron as well as illuminate mid-conductors (gold, brass relics) or small targets better. Because of that flexibility, it is now my general purpose, everyday coil. If I need more coverage or slightly more depth, I strap on the 11" LF. If I am working in restricted surroundings or need pinpoint separation then I use the elliptical. Oh, and the clincher for me is that the HF coils cost less than the LF coils.

What does it sound like though in comparison to the low frequency coil 'H' running at or around the same frequency?

EMI interference may be where it could accel. Have you tried it in any high EMI areas? I can't get 50-60 yds from any power lines without interference.
If you haven't, can you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread