HF Coils

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, it’s probably been beat to death already, but I can’t make up my mind on which HF coil to get. I live in western Washington state where the soil is fairly mineralized. I am basically a coin shooter who enjoys hunting old homesteads the best, (lots of iron)but I frequently go to parks ( modern trash) to fill my time between homesteads. I hunt my property the most, which is a 1930’s dairy farm that is full of nails and iron.

Your thoughts would’ve greatly appreciated.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think you need to go all the way to 74 khz or you are frequently searching in confined spaces, get the ellliptical.

If you want a good all around coil that can go a tad deeper on silver than the elliptical (because of its size) and you want a little lower top end frequency (58 khz) go with the round.

Both coils operate as low as 13 khz and their "mid" frequency is 28 khz (which seems to be a sweet spot frequency for HF coil users).

The 9" round is now my everyday coil, I have not really used an LF coil (only tests to see if its still working, lol) since I got that HF coil this past summer. I have a friend who posts here with consistently AMAZING finds who uses the elliptical for all situations including constantly running it at 74 khz (go figure, can't argue with success despite what conventional wisdom would tell you about doing that).

You can't really lose with either way.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I have certainly been leaning more towards the round, partly due to CB’s test videos, but for some reason that elliptical keeps looking good as well.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote round it hits better on targets than the elipitical imo.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. It did certainly looked that way in your video.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd vote round all the way too if Smokey didn't keep smokin' me with all those great elliptical finds. Guess its not just the tool, but who is using it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it gives a blah tone if I'm explaining it right where the round one smacks its....

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like “smacks it”! Sometimes I need to be “smacked” in the head to hear coins between iron/nails.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess at the end of the day, I’m after an all around coil more than a specialized coil.

Thanks guy’s.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do wonder if the round will smack it as good in mineralized soil?

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m south of you and we share very similar mineralized soil conditions, I have both HF coils and use them along with the 11” LF coil. To answer your question above.... I would say yes. Both HF coils in my experience run quieter and more stable in heavier mineralized soils. If I were to have to choose one, I would go with the round for the reasons mentioned above.
That being said, the LF isn’t a slouch either in some cases. To quote Calabash from one of his videos awhile back, I too “blistered” a park coinshooting before the holidays using the 11” LF and a sifter program on 18 kHz.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Bob. I’ve been using the 9” LH since I got the Deus 2-3 years ago. It’s a great machine.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both new coils are great. I dont think you will go "wrong" with either of them. I tend to like the 9.5 for the simple fact it fits between bushes better!

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoop, whoop, just ordered the 9” HF! Thanks, Bart!

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred, I also live in Western Wa. I'm still using the 9 inch LF coil with v3.2. I've been doing great with this setup so far so I'm on the fence about upgrading to v4 and the HF coil. Let me know how well the 9 inch HF works for you in our ground. Thanks!

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the round HF. Fast, quiet and versatile.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m really looking forward to it. I just hope it quits raining long enough to try it out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 9" works well for me. In all honesty, at least 50% of my finds could be made with a stick. Almost.

OP
OP
F

fred57

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that be an LF stick, or HF? Round, or elliptical?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread