Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted my finds yesterday on Today's Finds which included my 3rd Walker half dollar. I meant to add a little more to the info. The area was a previously hunted spot that I did not find these coin with my older settings. The coin was about 7 1/2 inches down and on edge somewhat. I am using the LF coil, at this point in my life, it would take a lottery win to up grade LOL. Anyways, these are the numbers that I am using now. Tracking (conditions change so much in this area) Disc 10, 5 tones, Sen 93, Freq 12, TX 3, Iron Vol 2, Reactivity 2, Silencer -1, Audio Re 4, overload 1, Notch 0. I like what the pitch can do but I struggle with the subtle changes, my brain is a lot slower to respond to what I think or thought I heard. I am sure that these can be tweaked even more by some of you. I have to say, that so many of you have posted info or videos that have taken my journey of the Deus from the unknown into the semi known world that I use today. I can easily see how intimidating machines like these can be for those that had or have only used the turn on and go machines. My posts are what they are, just 12 years ago, I could not write, spell or do any math at all do to numerous strokes. I wouldn't even talk to anyone. So, I have come a long ways to this point. (Strokes? result of years of a severe case of sleep apnea.) So, when I say that I am a very Blessed man, I am. thanks again all. DL

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it is wonderful that you have gotten this far after those strokes. Keep it up. i use settings almost the sane as those you are using. i used full, tones for a long time but now i find that using the 5 tones is better and easier for me to hear what is gong on. thanks for the post. GL & HH

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep on keeping on! Your grammer is way better than mine! congrats on the silver!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! The XP Deus is not a difficult machine to learn but once you do.... WOW!

Best iron and trash machine out!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You keep on keeping on! Your grammer is way better than mine! congrats on the silver!

Thanks, after the last stroke, I knew that I had to do something to get my brain to get better. I had a computer, it had Word correction and so I began to write a book. it was a science fiction book (to get my imagination going again)and 66 chapters long. I couldn't spell simple three letter words like cat or dog so I would find the words I needed as best as I could in other books etc. It was a very dry book and took a long time to write but the next book got even better(compared to the first). The third book was actually a pretty good one, colorful etc. My wife edits my large posts (I can't hand write very well at all now). The best thing for anyone to do is to Focus on what you can do and quite focusing on what you can't do. If you are persistent, your brain can rewire somewhat. yes, I still struggle with some comprehension and short term memory(drives you nuts). Even my wife forgets that I do struggle with things but that is a good thing. So, if I am able to do this good with the Deus, how much better can most people be if they tried? Part of me said no to getting it but I knew that I needed the challenge and got it anyways. Am I glad? Totally

Kioward

Dec 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on facing your challenges straight on and so wonderful that you are overcoming them. And super that you can get out and hunt and find coins.

I just got the Deus about three weeks ago and have a lot to learn but enjoying every minute

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome dirtlooter. I wouldn't change a thing on those settings (even if I didn't already know they were netting you some great finds). Keep on, keepin' on. You are an inspiration to us all.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome dirtlooter. I wouldn't change a thing on those settings (even if I didn't already know they were netting you some great finds). Keep on, keepin' on. You are an inspiration to us all.

Thanks, I feel pretty confident with them. I know that circumstances can dictate tweaking. I have considered after hunting an area pretty hard, to possibly alter the freq. of course I am still using the 3.2 V. I felt that the 5 tone was working better for me than Full Tones. The Deus is an awesome machine that many have misunderstood or given up way too soon on. If I was financially better off, I would have already be using the HF coils and the newer Version, it sounds like the gains are pretty awesome too. So I will work at getting better with what I have. it's not like I am in a great relic spot as some of you are.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That is indeed inspiring Dirt Looter. Thanks for sharing. I think those settings are you are using are excellent. Actually, I have a program almost identical.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome glad you and the DEUS are now “talking” and now have come to an understanding
That you want silver..

Cheers

EA8D7749-9D7B-4964-BABA-C1E5C0C0C41D.gif

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I feel pretty confident with them. I know that circumstances can dictate tweaking. I have considered after hunting an area pretty hard, to possibly alter the freq. of course I am still using the 3.2 V. I felt that the 5 tone was working better for me than Full Tones. The Deus is an awesome machine that many have misunderstood or given up way too soon on. If I was financially better off, I would have already be using the HF coils and the newer Version, it sounds like the gains are pretty awesome too. So I will work at getting better with what I have. it's not like I am in a great relic spot as some of you are.

The other thing is that if you are going to detect with discrimination, which I think is a personal decision for the detectorist to make based on the site and their own comfort level, then multitones (as you've selected) or pitch vs. full tones IS the way to go. I only go full tones if I decide to detect with no discrimination and I make that decision on a site specific basis consistent with my detecting objectives for the site (relics, coins, grid, zig zag, dig all, cherry pick, limited time, ability to revisit the site, how trashy, modern or ferrous trash (or both), how carefully I need to make the extraction plugs (i.e., manicured lawn vs. plowed field), etc.). I usually formulate some sort of plan and kind of stick to that plan (and settings) for the duration of a detecting session only changing things up if conditions change or when I am interrogating a specific target to make a dig decision. Your settings are good general purpose settings that can be used for most any detecting objective.

Last edited:

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admire your tenacity, humility and honesty. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story and best of luck.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other thing is that if you are going to detect with discrimination, which I think is a personal decision for the detectorist to make based on the site and their own comfort level, then multitones (as you've selected) or pitch vs. full tones IS the way to go. I only go full tones if I decide to detect with no discrimination and I make that decision on a site specific basis consistent with my detecting objectives for the site (relics, coins, grid, zig zag, dig all, cherry pick, limited time, ability to revisit the site, how trashy, modern or ferrous trash (or both), how carefully I need to make the extraction plugs (i.e., manicured lawn vs. plowed field), etc.). I usually formulate some sort of plan and kind of stick to that plan (and settings) for the duration of a detecting session only changing things up if conditions change or when I am interrogating a specific target to make a dig decision. Your settings are good general purpose settings that can be used for most any detecting objective.

so do you suggest that I change my disc to say 8 or less?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think 8 is a perfect spot and where I run mine. Seems to kill all the iron bleed over.

Well, I'll give it a whirl, thanks. any suggestions to make a program even better are always welcome. I have a very trashy area at my site (probably from sixties back) that I have avoided with my older programs. I would occasionally make a short pass thru it but the sheer volume of iron plus things like car parts mixed with broken glass made it tedious to dig. I know that it has to have some good things in it but the rusty iron sure gets old. it wouldn't be so bad if they were decent relics.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running disc anywhere from 6.1 - 10 is fine as far as I'm concerned. I like 8 to 10 and think my custom program default is 10. Like I said, when I want to run full tones, though, no disc. I usually run full tones but have multitone or pitch plus discrimination as my secondary program. Depends on the site.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread