What would you do?

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for you guys. Tomorrow here in North Texas it will be a high of 83 degrees! Can you believe this in the middle of winter. I have had a run of luck lately finding silver coins at houses being torn down. I have a long list of new lots.

The problem is the next 10 days shows dropping temperatures and rain everyday.

I am retired and just drive a school bus part-time and we are very short of drivers. I am thinking about calling in sick but feeling guilty because I have never done this in my entire working career.

What would you do?

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you’re part time, go to work and detect during your down time. You’ll sleep and detect better without your conscience bothering you.

OP
OP
T

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,

Good advice. I have a 4 hour break that I can hunt during. Since I got the Deus I have been obsessed with getting out as much as I can.

it's still tempting to take off :).

Harold

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Txop, an old story comes to mind. A preacher decides hes going to skip church Sunday morning and go golfing, so he calls the head deacon and with a fake cough, he tells the deacon he cant make it to church and he's going to have to give the sermon. The preacher hits the golf course and is having the best game he has ever had. He's driving the ball 300 yards right down the fairway, he's sinking 40 foot putts. Mean while God and St. Peter are watching. The preacher continues to have the best round of golf of his life. After the 18th hole, the preacher has broken the course record by 15 strokes. St. Peter looks at God and ask,"why did you let him golf that way" " he had the best game of his life" God rely's "Yes he did, But who is going to able to tell" Drive the bus because little ones are counting on you. Your great finds will be that much more enjoyable when you get back to your honey hole.

OP
OP
T

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good story. I guess I'll go in.

You guys surprised me. I thought everyone would tell me to call in :)

I actually enjoy driving the kids. It's a great job for a retired job if you like kids.

Hopefully I'll find some silver tomorrow. 4 hours sounds like a long time but when you are detecting it goes by pretty quick.

Thanks again for the replies.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When your conscience is clear, your mind will be unfettered so you can concentrate on those target signals without distraction. Drive the Bus then drive the detector. Best of Luck!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Devils advocate here.Last summer I called in sick to metal detect.Its the only time I’ve done this but for some reason it was very liberating to blow off others for myself.I believe we always worry about the expectations others put on us and ignore our own wants.Sometimes it’s great to just live for you
(This applies only to those of us that are always the backbone)Me generation please disregard this post.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you’re part time, go to work and detect during your down time. You’ll sleep and detect better without your conscience bothering you.

Agreed! Just think of all those sweet little snot nosed kids that will miss you! ha ha

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got to agree with Bob in Oregon. Go in and detect on your own time. Can't let down the ones that depend on us most. Just not good practice.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You wouldn't have asked the question, if you didn't already know the answer.

Good luck sir.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good story. I guess I'll go in.

You guys surprised me. I thought everyone would tell me to call in :)

I actually enjoy driving the kids. It's a great job for a retired job if you like kids.

Hopefully I'll find some silver tomorrow. 4 hours sounds like a long time but when you are detecting it goes by pretty quick.

Thanks again for the replies.

I think you're getting so many surprising answers because of how important your job is. I know schools are always looking for bus drivers. It's important we have solid individuals carrying our beloved kids to school and back.

OO

Bob in Oregon

Aug 31, 2017
N.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
GPX, SD2200d
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It seems to me that a person that goes to work, enjoys their job and is able to go detect everyday is twice paid.

Good luck out there and happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread