Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found my 1st silver, a 16 Rosie, with the 4.1 version. I also found a very old undateable Jefferson nickle and a no date wheatie. I also dug 5 or six 22 brass, several rifle bullets (modern) and a smashed 50 cal round ball. I also found the usual pull tabs, rings and some iron with a smattering of brass trash. I used the puck only, no remote, tones only(5 tone). I thought that I had another silver but it turned out to be a deep 1965 dime, about six inches. Almost really messed up after finding the 61 Rosie, wasn't paying attention and almost stepped on a dark mass that turned out to be huge pile of fire ants that were in process of rebuilding their mound. It was in the 60's today(30s tomorrow) and as I found out, the ants were out like that everywhere. Really getting spoiled with this permission and the silvers but I know that it will slow down sometime. This brings me up to 33 silvers, crazy. Still hoping for another bucket lister to show up. DL

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great start to 2018! Congrats on all of that silver!:thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are doing very well in 2018! :occasion14:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you liking that 4.1? Have you fiddled with the ground sensitivity setting or just left it at the default, Dirtlooter?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How are you liking that 4.1? Have you fiddled with the ground sensitivity setting or just left it at the default, Dirtlooter?

no,I haven't. my site has been sitting in water and I don't want to make a messy mess. We are expecting lots more rain thru the end of the week plus I have ordered my new HF coil. So I took the handle section of an old detector and adapted it for the LF coil and lower shaft so that my wife can use it. She is very excited about that. I am getting more fluent with the Deus language but still am struggling in several areas. I have to read and reread the numerous threads and posts numerous times for things to sink in. You guys don't know how much I appreciate your help and info. This is going to help both the wife and I become more tonal in our hunting although I don't trust the VID anyways. Several silvers appeared to read and even sound like a zinc penny or aluminum trash. The new coil won't be in until the end of the week so I may be borrowing the wife's "new detector" if the weather permits. I have prepared several new programs for the New coil in 28khz. I plan to use the GOLD FIELD program as an iron check as suggested.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, DL. If it is working fine for you then don't fiddle with the setting. It only mainly comes into play if you are using tracking Ground Balance anyway.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job, DL. If it is working fine for you then don't fiddle with the setting. It only mainly comes into play if you are using tracking Ground Balance anyway.

actually, I use tracking pretty much at this site

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good! If its working fine at the default setting for tracking GB then just leave it be. Did you notice whether the your machine seemed more responsive?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure yet, it seemed like it was doing really awesome but then it seemed to back off a little. I wasn't using the remote so I wasn't looking at the numbers. I walked over a large area where the GB changes a lot(why I have it in tracking). At this point I was just curious if it would make new finds in areas I had already hit hard. In the 1st stretch, it did find things that I had somehow missed but as I moved into other areas where the GB was different, I didn't seem to find very many. I did find more old 22 cases than I expected in a spot where I knew I had left a couple 22 signals. I have to tackle one thing at a time for my brain to wrap around new things. it can be very frustrating at times because I want to understand it faster. Right now it is raining pretty heavy and is supposed to thru Saturday (up to 7" plus). I was wondering if the tracking was keeping up with the major changes that this site has. Originally when I 1st began hunting this site, I wasn't paying attention to the GB(I just plain forgot about it) and just happened to look down and realized that there was about 10 diff in numbers. I adjusted and went on then realized it had changed yet again so I began using the tracking. I will have more inside time this week so I will try to read and understand the Ground Sensitivity settings

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtlooter - don't read about the ground sensitivity settings, it will make your head explode. Long story short, leave the ground sensitivity setting at the default unless you are getting a lot of mineralization overall (more than 2/3rds up on the mineralization bargraph on the remote display), then tweak it down slightly (lower number, one or two clicks at most from the default value) which makes tracking ground balance slightly less sensitive to mineralization changes which is what XP now uses as a trigger to force the Deus to check ground balance readings again. If it doesn't sense any change in mineralization (or the coil is motionless) for greater than 7 seconds, then it will default to GB value of 88. But it sounds to me like you should just leave it be.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok, sounds like a good idea to me. thanks for the help. I will change the settings back from tracking. Again, I appreciate the help. DL

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it sounds like your site GB changes enough that you should leave tracking engaged unless you are really diligent about re-balancing. Tracking works great in version 4.0 and I think it improved a little in ver 4.1 with this new ground sensitivity setting because the default makes GB tracking more stable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions