Okay Here is the start of Talking Deus-Disc/Full Tones/Pitch

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, I am putting this together for the folks who want to be all they can be while using Deus.
This thread will be geared to folks using Deus trying to decipher and locate any and all nonferrous that is potentially in an old site.

A few word of wisdom here coming from me.
I read lots of threads and posts by many folks.
I claim to be an experienced Deus user, who has got to witness some things over the last 5 years while using and hunting old sites.

Can a Deus user get complacent?
What am I talking about here?
Anyone can take Deus and go to an old site, and yes they may locate a very good find actually.
They may even go back and make more good finds.
The question is though, have they located all or most of the nonferrous finds in an old site their Deus unit is capable of?
So yes I think a person due to their success might think they have mastered the Deus for what is is due to their finds, when in reality they have not.
This thread here is not meant to be an attack against anyone or any group.
I am spending my time and effort here to share what I think is worthy information.
It will be folks decision if they choose to use or not.

I will post many pics here with commentary attached to all.

As far as my posting pics here and discussing.
When I am referring to a pic it should be understood as you view each pic, sweeps of coil will be right to left and left to right. And assuming with just one pass of coil there is detection.
If any deviation or something other specific needs to be mentioned when showing a pic I will mention and go into detail as needed.

Metal detecting in book when searching older sites is about putting odds in my favor for getting a signal with first pass of coil. Meaning from one approach angle. Sure a person can roam and roam around a site and eventually detect some do the nonferrous objects they couldn't detect earlier. You can even do this what the things I am going to illustrate and talk about here in this thread.

Before I start posting pics here and discussing.
I need to say the following.
Deus, using Deus in ferrous laden sites, disc levels used for a person using programs not using Full tones will likely fall no lower than level 5.6 to rid the iron from the audio. Most applications a level of approximately 6 is used. Can a person use higher disc? Certainly, but this will be talked about below- as far as disadvantages it brings with it.

I will be talking about all the following coils for Deus- 9" LF, 11" LF, round 9" HF, elliptical HF coil. I won't be discussing use of the biggest 11x13" LF coil.

This discussion will be using Deus unit with version 4.1 loaded.

So it's time to begin.
First pic, a simple 2 dimensional pic of clad dime and one nail.
bilzbs.jpg

The pic above using 9" LF coil hot program.
GB 88
Sens 90
Highest band freq 17. Xxxkhz
Reactivity 3 silencer -1
Target scenario checked using full tones 0 disc and other high disc.
Target also check psd using Disc levels 6-10 using pitch tones.
What Inwll say about this target scenario, as disc is raised above 6 and as level 10 is approached signal gets worse. Harder to hear with coil using level 10 disc.
Signal using full tones 0 disc is broader.

Another pic.
A US nickel and a piece of bigger iron, again 2 dimensional setup.
r2mi3d.jpg

Using 9" LF coil
Hot program
Reactivity 3 silencer -1
Freq highest band of 17.xxx kHz.
This setup using full tones 0 disc will strike the nickel. Actually disc can be extended up to level 1.6 approximately and get tonal info of nickel's presence.
Btw with nickel removed running full tones 0 disc no signal.
A friendly reminder for folks here. Be very suspicious in the field detecting using full tones and no or lower disc for targets that give monotone sound. Tones that repeat with little to no multiple souds near one another. A nail will usually give rolling tone. The nickel in pic above gives this mono sounding tone.

So what about using pitch to detect this nickel?
Sure one can do, but disc has to be low like 0-1.6 and if you do this and try to detect,,good luck cause Deus will be signaling on a lot of nails.
Btw, at 0 disc with pitch tones selected, the iron solo will give a tone a user might just dig.

Another pic, this time 3 dimensional setup.
290pj01.jpg

You see in the pic nails above clad dime plane off to both sides.
You'll notice to the left I have a stack of 2x4s, I use this stack for coil height when testing.
Again 9" LF coil used
Hot program
Sens 90
Reactivity 3 silencer -1

Using and comparing full tones with disc between 0-6 and using pitch tones with disc between 6-10. Both methods used will detect dime, but disc levels past 8 signal gets weak, and as I approached level 10 disc no detection. Use of full tones as disc is lowered below 6, tone width grows but quality actually does not get better. Between disc levels of 0-2 approximately is where tone quality sounds the worst(not taking about length).
Now using disc level 10 using pitch tones or full tones with settings listed above, good luck detecting the dime.
Now tone presented on Deus, there are 2 things about it, length and actual clarity. Either one presented can allow you to net a find. Remember though Deus can chirp, so tone length vs clarity could be what alerts you to target.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is what my test show that I have done with pitch. I can hit targets with a disc of 10 and iron vol at 2 with pitch tones in my relic program better than I can hit them with full tones with a disc of -2.5 much past that I have not experimented with.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another pic, this time 3 dimensional setup.
290pj01.jpg

You see in the pic nails above clad dime plane off to both sides.
You'll notice to the left I have a stack of 2x4s, I use this stack for coil height when testing.
Again 9" LF coil used
Hot program
Sens 90
Reactivity 3 silencer -1

Using and comparing full tones with disc between 0-6 and using pitch tones with disc between 6-10. Both methods used will detect dime. Use of full tones as disc is lowered below 6, tone width grows but quality actually does not get better. Between disc levels of 0-2 approximately is where tone quality sounds the worst(not taking about length).
Now using disc level 10 using pitch tones or full tones with settings listed above, good luck detecting the dime.
Now tone presented on Deus, there are 2 things about it, length and actual clarity. Either one presented can allow you to net a find. Remember though Deus can chirp, so tone length vs clarity could be what alerts you to target.

Not sure I understand; these two statements seem to contradict each other?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I understand; these two statements seem to contradict each other?

I agree with you.
Both methods would detect dime as far as using pitch and some disc above nail break, but not disc level 10.
Same with using full tones. Disc 10 a no go for detection.
I will reword original post.
Thanks.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with using Full tones and any level of discrimination is that you completely lose iron volume which can be telltale to the presence of thick iron. That is why a multi-tones or pitch program is preferred if you are going to use any disc whatsoever (unless you just don't want/need to hear iron at all - same as running with iron volume = 0). I only use full tones now if I am running wide open with no discrimination applied.

I like disc 10 but will adjust it as low as 6 (below 6, supposedly the horseshoe becomes unreliable). My understanding is that horseshoe instability was the reason that before version 4 came out with Gary's programs installed, none of the default programs (other than Gold Field which is a different animal) used a disc value lower than 6. Interesting test results, TNSS. Good to know how much disc can affect the nearby non-ferrous target detectability and I will do my own experimentation with a disc 6 and disc 10 pitch program. The reason Calabash and I started using a disc/pitch program in thick iron was not because we didn't want to hear iron (we keep iron volume on) but because we wanted to avoid TID (and tonal if using a multi-tone program) down-averaging in the presence of iron.

Thanks for the test data.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread