How hot does the soil have to be significantly impact depth?

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that's "bad" although some here goes to "87". Forget deep there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In hot soil, don't use too much sensitivity. On a scale of 1-10, I rarely use more than 6. Too much will actually cut your depth! :skullflag:

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The vertical increase in the side bar indicates high and widespread metal distributed in the makeup of your soil mineralogy- such as a geo-specific soil local where the soil particle minerals are rich (high content) in aluminum and iron elements. The detector is seeing this soil and not able to make penetrating electrical field loops. Thus, poor depth detection of metallic targets.

As TS said, sometimes turning your power sensitivity down will help the electrical loops penetrate better.

A case of too much electrical energy radiating back from high metal-content soils particles.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some soil around here in places that runs the bar over half way up and ground balance in the low to mid 70s. In those places a dime buried past 5 inches is a tough target.

What settings are suggested for that kind of ground?

I have the 11" and elliptical.

Where are you located ? Just curious what causes the mineralization

FEEB3EBB-6710-4D11-A9DE-6037A0A3C0B7.jpeg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if using the LF (11") coil, recommend turning TX down first to no higher than 2, 1 if the mineralization is really bad. On the Deus you usually don't need to turn sensitivity down, its TX power. (For the HF coils, TX power is locked and not adjustable). Also, you might want to use tracking ground balance because mineralization will usually cause large fluctuations in ground phase. If all else fails, Gold Field which is designed to pluck gold out of mineralized ground (duh) can be used. It is a pitch based program that uses Iron Rejection rather Discrimination. I wouldn't really bother with the iron rejection so much. What is important is boosting reactivity in mineralized ground (its kind of counterintuitive) use a reactivity of 3 whether you are using a common discrimination program like Deus fast or Gold Field. What happens in mineralized ground is that everything deep starts to detect like its a ferrous target so you basically have to dig it all. Gold Field punches down a little better than the disc programs, but you are still going to have dig it all because you will likely not get a reliable target ID. Finally, I really recommend using the HF coil and searching in 28.8 khz or above in mineralized ground. Again, it sounds counterintuitive, but the higher frequency seems to punch through the mineralization better. HTH.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the fertilized farm fields I detect will run the mineral bar halfway up. Tracking fluctuates from 60-85. Rarely find deep non ferrous targets over 6” and when I do they are usually high conducters that were terrible signals that often read 99 on the meter. I run tx at 2 always and sensitivity at 90. I will have to try tx 1 and lowering sensitivity even more. Good thing is that these fields can contain 300+ year old finds at or near the surface. Dont want to think about everything Im missing

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some soil around here in places that runs the bar over half way up and ground balance in the low to mid 70s. In those places a dime buried past 5 inches is a tough target.

What settings are suggested for that kind of ground?

I have the 11" and elliptical.

Well,
Your description on level in scale in mineral strength meter. Is this sweeping or bobbing coil?
The reason I asked.
If the mineralization graph is going to just past half way, that soil is not too hot.
Clad dime depth using 11" DD doil using 4khz, silencer -1, sens 92, tx power 2, reactivity 1 should,reach close to 9" deep.
Using deep mode.

One of the keys to running Deus let's say in ground that makes meter go say 2/3 of the way up-bobbing coil.
Is. Or to run too high a reactivity setting. Stay with 2.5 or 3 with silencer at -1, and likely use of 18khz will yield most depth.

Tx power 3 in high mineral soil a no no, so when selecting deep mode make sure to turn to power down from 3 to 2.

Btw ground phase reading doesn't reflect actual mineralization strength.
One reason why Deus has a mineralization strength meter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried GB in several spots in the area yesterday. Pumping the coil usually resulted in a reading of 74 to 76. The dots at times climbed all the way to the top. I noticed that my Garrett Carrot (second setting) that normally is pretty immune to falsing would buzz continuously when laid down on dug soil with no obvious metal in it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that's hot. Try suggestions above from myself, TNSS, and others. Experiment with self-buried targets of interest (i.e., both high and mid conductors because different settings will be better for high conductors than mid conductors and vice-versa) in that stuff. Note that TNSS referenced the "Deep" program. That was just to provide a reference for how deep you can hit a high conductor in mild soil. His suggested changes to the "Deep" program for hot soil, essentially turn it into Deus Fast, so I would start there and incrementally modify your settings accordingly to see which works best. Also, I suggest using the elliptical, frankly. That is what Smokey uses in the hottest of the hot soil at both 28 and 74 khz and has great success with both mid and high conductors with it using basically stock Deus Fast settings and 5 tones. HTH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experiment with self-buried targets of interest (i.e., both high and mid conductors because different settings will be better for high conductors than mid conductors and vice-versa) in that stuff. ..... His suggested changes to the "Deep" program for hot soil, essentially turn it into Deus Fast, so I would start there and incrementally modify your settings accordingly to see which works best. Also, I suggest using the elliptical, frankly. That is what Smokey uses in the hottest of the hot soil at both 28 and 74 khz and has great success with both mid and high conductors with it using basically stock Deus Fast settings and 5 tones. HTH.

Thanks for the response. What you outlined is basically what I have been experimenting with. It seem that high negative discrimination and high sensitivity are providing better responses.

When I get the sensitivity too high every swing of the coil produces a response at the lowest point of the swing in spite of trying to swing level.

I buried some targets too deep to find again. I guess I will have to get NOX to find them!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Nox might be the ticket. ;)

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that Pointer sounding off and Deus meter pegging-super high Mineral.
Take a Magnet and sweep around inside hole and watch what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions