Newbie Question

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so i got my detector been hunting the last two days and have found lots of modern coins and a couple of tokens using the hot program. My question is when you guys first start a new site do you have a strategy as for as which signals you dig first or do you just dig every non ferrous as you come to them. I was digging everything including the faint squeaky signals that gave no id... i thought it might have been something deep... mostly turned out to be small round pellets of lead and i mean tiny but then i started digging the nice and loud solid sounding signals eventually to just the solid sounding high conductors. I have heard of people just digging the deep sounding signals to try and avoid the modern stuff. Just curious how everyone else operates.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About as many ways to work a patch as there are ways to set up a Deus. Just read a couple of hundred posts on the different forums and you will see there is no right or wrong way. Decide what you are after and how much digging your willing to do.

OP
OP
F

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About as many ways to work a patch as there are ways to set up a Deus. Just read a couple of hundred posts on the different forums and you will see there is no right or wrong way. Decide what you are after and how much digging your willing to do.
I guess just dig until there is nothing left. That's gonna be alot of can slaw and pull tabs although i only dug a couple last time. I may try some more id-less squeaky targets just to see... gotta learn to decipher the small from the deep targets.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its hard to cherry pick relic hunting...but you can focus on more solid signals till you get your feet wet. Remember some of those deep ones are the good stuff...

OP
OP
F

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its hard to cherry pick relic hunting...but you can focus on more solid signals till you get your feet wet. Remember some of those deep ones are the good stuff...
Can you tell the difference between deep and small or do you have to dig to find out i was thinking maybe the smaller items will have a short sound and the deeper but bigger items will have a faint longer sound.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell the difference between deep and small or do you have to dig to find out i was thinking maybe the smaller items will have a short sound and the deeper but bigger items will have a faint longer sound.

Find a place where you can bury some objects and do some of your own testing. While not as good as with target that have been in the ground awhile it will help you learn the sounds. Try the pinpoint to gauge size. And some use Gold Field to inspect targets.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If one could detect and pick only winners there would be nothing left very quickly. This is my third year detecting, my second year with a Deus and though I pay attention I have a long way to go. I find that objects with a hole in them will fool the best of machines and pull tabs/crown caps sound and give numerical readings over a fairly large machine range. In the end the shovel is the best detector. Learn one program well; I see plenty of new hunters "program-jump" never really settling long enough to see what the machine is telling them.

Anyone that doesn't dig shotgun shells is missing some good finds.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in a new spot, I tend to dig everything for a while, at least what seems to possibly be non ferrous. Then it I get tired of digging pull tabs/rings, I may ignore them for a while or the rest of that hunt. I usually come back and dig those signals the next hunt or so, I like to clear out those just because. I have been totally surprised several times by silvers that sounded like and even had numbers that said something else. like previously said, the shovel is the best discerner. yeah, you're going to dig some trash no matter what as with some iron but if it was so easy, everybody would be doing it (most people have a detector that they never use because of the trash.) Because I don't own a multi freq detector, I try to hit an area with one program/freq and then later come back using another if only changing the freq. I do believe that you have to decide what tones you are going to use and stick to them so that you can learn them because the numbers aren't always right anyways. what you actually hunt for should determine how you hunt program and tone wise. I try to be willing to listen to what others are doing and then either try them or rationalize how it could possibly help me and why. listen to suggestions and weigh them carefully, some may really help you or maybe confuse you even more. you have a machine that you can alter in many ways, good or bad but no matter what, learning a machine requires hundreds of hours for most of us. Good luck and don't give up

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the "Hot" program uses 18 kHz, I'd avoid that frequency for a while....like until you get 100 hours on the machine - I'd use Deus Fast and drop the Frequency to 8 Khz, it runs at 18 as well and that just lights up big iron and small trash like can slaw - also you may want to run full tones for a while.

OP
OP
F

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys gonna keep running full tones until i get used to that. Im running 28 khz which i figure is why its picking up the tiny stuff too i dont have the lf coil just the 9 inch hf. I was thinking either grid off the property and search each grid until i locate all the signals or just dig the screamers until i find something good and then clear those grids first. The trash at my current site isnt too bad but the other place i was looking at seemed to have an army of beer cans... but the property owner was alleged to have hidden caches on the property as he didnt trust banks... although he and his friends also liked to drink and collected cans for the extra cash. Put huge amounts on the ground and would run them over with his vehicle to crush them all. Thats a good way to protect your hidden loot i guess.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh.....jumped right into the HF coil....it wasn't available when I bought my Deus but if I went that route I think I would have sold the machine. I don't think any coin will ring in under 85 except a nickle in 28Khz ....pretty sure that's a solid 61 or 62....good luck and you'll have to dig it all anyways to find a cache!

OP
OP
F

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh.....jumped right into the HF coil....it wasn't available when I bought my Deus but if I went that route I think I would have sold the machine. I don't think any coin will ring in under 85 except a nickle in 28Khz ....pretty sure that's a solid 61 or 62....good luck and you'll have to dig it all anyways to find a cache!
Lol im not giving up that easily. Its fun and good exercise even if i dont find the pirate gold.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lower it to 14 kh till you get used to it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I dig depends on what I expect to find. I.e. if the site (possibly) is old, I'll even sample a few ferrous targets and dig everything non-ferrous.

If in a modern park, I'm more likely to cherry pick. On a beach I also dig all non-ferrous, due to easy digging.

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the deus for a little over a year. I am currently using 4.0
I found a couple wheat pennies 8"-10" deep the other night in a spot I have been.
I was using a tweaked program but it is basically a coin shooting program in Gary's book.
I switched back to the factory settings including basic, fast and hot. Even knowing the
spot I didn't get any signal with those programs. I have another deep program I have
developed with the help of forum members and it registered a less faint repeatable signal.
I like to find old coins especially silver and this program is the one I use most.
I have an old school yard and I always try new programs there or new tweaks.

As far as what I dig, when I am early in my hunt I am less picky and dig most
repeatable signals. When I start getting tired or am running out of time I tend to
get more picky. I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of what the machine can
do. I still learn from those basic videos every time I watch them. I have learned a bunch
from this forum and members. Hopefully next year I will know everything and then they
will switch to 5.0. and school starts all over.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are you saying you like or dislike the HF coil? I'm hearing good things and some bad. It seems to me adding the extra Khz's could help. Thanks.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both the round and elliptical HF coils and use them over my LF’s. I really like the Elliptical HF Coil on the beach because it so quiet.
Version 4.1 or 5 may change it up though and add something for the LF series of coils.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I target silver cause it’s more abundant than gold so usually dig 89-98 in12khz. I mainly dig 1940-1960s properties but when I’m digging older stuff I dig any solid hits above 61 or so. I found a gold ring in a 1925 yard the other day using that technique but it was my first in14 months with the deus. If you get to hunt something really old like civil war stuff, dig it all. Even the iron might be something cool. When you get use to the sounds you will be able to cherry pick the better sounds. I’m still learning myself. The hardest part about it is finding good spots that haven’t been pounded but the deus will find stuff the others missed. We knock on a lot of doors around here. We always have better luck in the small towns. People in the sticks are usually nice but rarely let us dig for some reason. I might have missed a couple golds but I dug 30+ silvers last year and worked full time ++.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread