Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife and I have been digging a lot of iron for a while. Now I fully expect to dig some but it does get old. I am trying to get a program that is a little user friendly for her and so I set up a lot of objects, from iron to gold and silver to air test. I know that air testing is just that air testing but it is a starting point (still raining here). I started with the installed programs and then made a few changes here and there until we found something that she was pretty happy with. For her with the LF coil, we ended up with 7 Kz in the G Maxx, it seemed to do pretty well with the iron and still did well with the gold and silver. coins sounded pretty good too. She had been having a little trouble with hitting something like the 22 brass but in this program hit them much easier. She also like the tones used in this program so we shall see. I kind of liked how the G Maxx worked with the iron too and so have a program for me in 14 Kz which I plan to use for a week or two to see if it does help with the iron. Some of you have a lot better hearing than either my wife and myself but for us it is pretty hard to discern the subtle tone differences that some like CD can hear. I realize that we may lose some ability of separation from iron masking but sometimes it is what it is. I was just curious if anyone is using the G Maxx program as a base program.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Hey Dirt,
I'll be watching to see how it works for you.
I run Deus Fast/full tones in 28 with the 9"HF coil and tweek it from there.
My property where I have been hunting has more iron than dirt.
It's VERY challenging to pull a good target response out of.
Hope it dries out so you can try it.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went out and hunted a limited area, where I wanted to go was still standing in water plus the crayfish now mounds sticking up everywhere. I was using a program made from the Fast program and 28 kz with full tones and was digging a lot of iron (I was using tonal not numbers). I had a hard time knowing a pull tab or ring from a coin with the full tones. probably my ignorance. with the three tones, I seem to do a better job. I plan to dig the pull tab/rings anyhow but I want to have some sort of idea that it may be one. With this program, I still dug iron but it was all big iron. I dug about 15 or more pull tabs and rings but kind of knew the odds were them when I dug. most of the iron signals were very choppy and didn't repeat easily. I dug a few bullets and a piece of bronze that sounded low with the 3 tone. I dug 1 clad dime that had a higher tone like a clad dime should. I am primarily trying to make a simpler to learn program for the wife. She wanted tones similar to what she used on the AT GOLD. She loved the AT GOLD except the weight was getting to her older and short frame. now she loves the weight of the deus except the tones were more challenging for her since she doesn't get to get out as much as I do. I still have a lot to learn and it would be nice to have a program/machine that hits both silver and gold

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I somehow managed to post before I had finished what I was writing. The G Maxx seems to hit both silver and gold respectively at 7kz and 14 kz so I mean to try this for a while. Multiple freq in the deus would be nice and would possible kill two birds with one stone. I struggle to see the higher two freqs of the HF coils doing very well on deeper silver. maybe I need it explained better to me.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do, 90% of the time. I have 2 sets, one with 7kHz and one with 17kHz.
The lower reactivity really makes targets pop. I also don't use full tones, I do not find any advantage to it after some experiments.

Only in extreme iron do I switch to a different program. :)

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do, 90% of the time. I have 2 sets, one with 7kHz and one with 17kHz.
The lower reactivity really makes targets pop. I also don't use full tones, I do not find any advantage to it after some experiments.

Only in extreme iron do I switch to a different program. :)

yeah in the LF coil, I like those two too. in the HF coil the lowest I can go is 14kz. At this point I don't have any out right relic sites so the 3 tone is working just fine. but in the bad iron, yeah, gotta switch to another

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of comments:

Remember there is really no difference between programs underneath the hood. The names are all just made up, so to speak, because they are all really the same program (except for Gold Field) just with different settings on the key parameters.

If you compare Deus Fast which is generally the "go to" base program for most experienced Deus users to G Maxx here are the differences based on the Version 4.1 Manual

Discrimination: Fast = 6.1 Maxx = 6.1
Tones: Fast = 3 Maxx=3
Sensitivity: Fast = 90 Maxx = 90
Tx Power: Fast = 2 Maxx = 2
Frequency: Fast = 18 K (LF) Maxx = 8K (LF) Comment: For the HF coil, Maxx will default to 14 khz. You can lower HF coil as low as 13 khz by using frequency shift without penalty Maxx with the LF coil will hit harder on silver than Deus Fast because of the lower default frequency with the LF coil, while Deus Fast will hit harder on small targets, and mid conductors at 18 khz.
Iron Level: Deus Fast: 3 Maxx: 0 Comment: This setting has no real impact in full tones. But in 2,3,4, or 5 tones turns off iron volume in the discriminated region. Some folks like to disc out iron to limit down averaging of high conductors in proximity to iron but still like to hear the iron to know whether they are near an old house site. Iron Volume 3 gives you that. Both modes are discing out iron up to 6.1.
Reactivity: Fast = 3 Maxx = 1 Comment: Maxx is set up with reactivity slower which may be a bit deeper because you will get a fuller hit tone but you will not be able to separate in thick iron as well
Silencer: Fast = -1 (Off) Maxx = 2 Comment: This is why you are falsing less on small iron. Silencer reduces small iron falsing (good for bottle caps) but some debate as to whether you lose depth as a result. Test results vary.
Audio Response: Fast = 4 Maxx = 4
Comment: Audio Response just determines the level of audio modulation thst occurs between deep and shallow targets. 4 is a good middle of the road setting that causes the deep targets to only have slightly less volume than the shallow targets.

In summary, what you are seeing on GMAXX are the effects of the lower frequency (vs. Deus Fast) but more importantly you are slowing down your machine significantly which can help with "depth", but affects you ability to unmask in iron and you are cranking up Silencer which helps with small iron falsing to an extent but may also adversely affect depth.

You should really familiarize yourself with the individual settings "under the hood" so you know what these alternative programs are really doing. Refer to pages 44 through 45 of the online V4 manual to see the preset program default settings in table form.

HTH

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah in the LF coil, I like those two too. in the HF coil the lowest I can go is 14kz. At this point I don't have any out right relic sites so the 3 tone is working just fine. but in the bad iron, yeah, gotta switch to another

Reading Vf's post over here reminds me I like to run silencer at 0 on G-Maxx; I find it cleans up the signals slightly. Try it.
I also use iron volume of 2-3. I like to hear the iron.

Sounds good, I have yet to get myself a HF coil. Decided to go with the big 13" coil first for ground coverage.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Couple of comments:

Remember there is really no difference between programs underneath the hood. The names are all just made up, so to speak, because they are all really the same program (except for Gold Field) just with different settings on the key parameters.

If you compare Deus Fast which is generally the "go to" base program for most experienced Deus users to G Maxx here are the differences based on the Version 4.1 Manual

Discrimination: Fast = 6.1 Maxx = 6.1
Tones: Fast = 3 Maxx=3
Sensitivity: Fast = 90 Maxx = 90
Tx Power: Fast = 2 Maxx = 2
Frequency: Fast = 18 K (LF) Maxx = 8K (LF) Comment: For the HF coil, Maxx will default to 14 khz. You can lower HF coil as low as 13 khz by using frequency shift without penalty Maxx with the LF coil will hit harder on silver than Deus Fast because of the lower default frequency with the LF coil, while Deus Fast will hit harder on small targets, and mid conductors at 18 khz.
Iron Level: Deus Fast: 3 Maxx: 0 Comment: This setting has no real impact in full tones. But in 2,3,4, or 5 tones turns off iron volume in the discriminated region. Some folks like to disc out iron to limit down averaging of high conductors in proximity to iron but still like to hear the iron to know whether they are near an old house site. Iron Volume 3 gives you that. Both modes are discing out iron up to 6.1.
Reactivity: Fast = 3 Maxx = 1 Comment: Maxx is set up with reactivity slower which may be a bit deeper because you will get a fuller hit tone but you will not be able to separate in thick iron as well
Silencer: Fast = -1 (Off) Maxx = 2 Comment: This is why you are falsing less on small iron. Silencer reduces small iron falsing (good for bottle caps) but some debate as to whether you lose depth as a result. Test results vary.
Audio Response: Fast = 4 Maxx = 4
Comment: Audio Response just determines the level of audio modulation thst occurs between deep and shallow targets. 4 is a good middle of the road setting that causes the deep targets to only have slightly less volume than the shallow targets.

In summary, what you are seeing on GMAXX are the effects of the lower frequency (vs. Deus Fast) but more importantly you are slowing down your machine significantly which can help with "depth", but affects you ability to unmask in iron and you are cranking up Silencer which helps with small iron falsing to an extent but may also adversely affect depth.

You should really familiarize yourself with the individual settings "under the hood" so you know what these alternative programs are really doing. Refer to pages 44 through 45 of the online V4 manual to see the preset program default settings in table form.

HTH

really appreciate this. because of my previous brain traumas, I tend to easily forget what I have read, especially if I don't use it a lot and constantly. (Before the strokes, I used to program CNC machines like a second language and work on them but not anymore) the silencer part was a section I seem to have been struggling with. thanks Vf

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
really appreciate this. because of my previous brain traumas, I tend to easily forget what I have read, especially if I don't use it a lot and constantly. (Before the strokes, I used to program CNC machines like a second language and work on them but not anymore) the silencer part was a section I seem to have been struggling with. thanks Vf

Hey Dirt,
Don't feel alone on that...
I haven't had your problems and I can't seem to get any of this stuff to stick.
Vferrari is a master and we are so thankful to have his help.
Now if I could just remember where I put my car keys....

Mike G.

May 4, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the same custom program since my first hunt with the Deus. The only settings I ever change besides the ground balance are the reactivity and silencer. For general hunting I use a reactivity of 2 and silencer 0. In thick iron I bump the reactivity to 3 or even 4 depending. In clean ground when hunting for deeper coins or relics I drop the reactivity to 0 and slow my sweep speed. With a reactivity of 0 and silencer at 0 and bumping up the audio response my Deus is a bit deeper than my Minelab Sovereign GT and is still faster. In heavy iron and trash Gary's Sifter program is also a killer.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the info, I am beginning to understand how important the silencer actually is and when and how to adjust. plus the Reactivity and Audio response thing and how they affect each other. All of this helps tremendously.....at least for the moment but I can always come back and re read these again. sometimes it takes a while for things to finally sink in.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help and great chip in's by everyone else. I have to pull the manual table pages out to get the presets lined up side-by-side so I can see what changes mode to mode. I don't have that memorized. What I do have memorized is how the various parameters affect my detecting and how they can work together or at cross purposes.

Feel free to ask here on the forum or PM me directly if anyone needs more help.

My whole motivation is making sure everyone is having as much fun as I am detecting with the Deus. Yeah I'm testing out a new machine and I like it (just like Calabash), but rest assured, the Deus and its HF coils is not going anywhere and neither am I as far as the Deus forum is concerned. So ask away.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks again Hugh and everyone else. this thread has really helped to put things together for me and to make more sense of everything with the deus. I went to my site but was only able to work a small area for about 2 1/2 hours. didn't find any ground shaking finds but I sure cut my iron digs down, in fact in this spot, no iron digs. now I cleaned up on the head stamps and pull rings/tabs with several bullets thrown in. Sometimes when you try to tweak something but you don't fully understand what is happening with whatever you tweaked, you may actually be making things worse. However, even a blind hog can find an acorn (an old saying that never made a lot sense to me seeing how the hogs are nearly blind in the first place!)

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Just like the Deus... a Hog can sniff out the goodies

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just like the Deus... a Hog can sniff out the goodies

you got it my friend, check out Gare's fix for fat fingers and the deus remote in the General forum. pretty cool, got some and about to try them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread