Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this to the What Is It forum last night, but I suspect there are a lot of you who just come to this section, so figured I'd cross-post here for my Deus buddies.

It has been a terrible spring here, weather-wise. In fact, we're supposed to be getting a foot of snow tonight! But I did manage to get out for a couple of hours yesterday, and dug an old bronze cow tag, and then something round, that at first I thought was a large cent. After cleaning it a bit in the field, I began to have my doubts, and those doubts increased after I got it home and had a better look.

I thought that it was aluminum (it isn't) and could make out a bit of an eagle wing, so Googled that, and was crestfallen when I saw a Reader's Digest Sweepstakes token that kind of resembled it.

Deciding that it was probably just a modern aluminum piece 'o junk, I broke out the old Dremel tool and a buffing wheel and went to work trying to get some of the crust and scale off. That's when I realized that what I had was anything but a modern aluminum piece 'o junk!

Pretty sure what I have is a pewter counterfeit Seated Liberty quarter!

Anyway... here's the What Is It posting: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...unterfeit-seated-liberty-quarter-perhaps.html

BI7aiwf.jpg

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very nice find ! Not sure I've seen a seated quarter posted before. Counterfeits are just really interesting. I have a few counterfeit coppers.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coppers?! Wow... I had no idea that coppers were ever worth enough to counterfeit! What were they made out of?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your weather issues - I’m in NE Wisconsin and am dealing with the same thing! Depressing! I’ve got the worse case of cabin fever - the likes of which no detectorist should ever have to endure!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your weather issues - I’m in NE Wisconsin and am dealing with the same thing! Depressing! I’ve got the worse case of cabin fever - the likes of which no detectorist should ever have to endure!
Thanks. Yeah, just when it was starting to look like we might finally be able to get out... another blizzard, followed by a week with lows below freezing, and highs not much above.

Are you up around Superior, then? Or not that far north?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks like it was in a fire :dontknow:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just moved to the Twin Cities a couple months ago. Been chomping at the bit to do some detecting, but man, just can't catch a break. Glad you were able to get out!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just moved to the Twin Cities a couple months ago. Been chomping at the bit to do some detecting, but man, just can't catch a break. Glad you were able to get out!

The Gopher State Treasure Hunters meeting is this coming Tuesday. I'll be the one with the counterfeit Seated on the Finds table.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From "Civil War Artifacts" by Howard R. Crouch

x75c9ad.jpg

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool, an article to back up the find. pretty awesome find, makes you wonder how many were made.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool, an article to back up the find. pretty awesome find, makes you wonder how many were made.
I was wondering if maybe the Confederates were counterfeiting Union money? That would make sense (there's a pun there, but I'm not gonna be the one to do it!)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was wondering if maybe the Confederates were counterfeiting Union money? That would make sense (there's a pun there, but I'm not gonna be the one to do it!)

oh I don't know, counterfeiters come from all walks of life

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting coin, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh I don't know, counterfeiters come from all walks of life
Yes, they do. I was being a bit lazy in typing my thoughts, though... I was wondering if it was encouraged to help the Confederate economy and at the same time, hurting the Union's. Pretty tiny impact though, I guess, come to think of it. Especially at one coin per mould. Haha!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting coin, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Thanks! Last year (my 2nd season of MDing) I found a copper culture spear point early in the season. This year, a counterfeit Seated quarter. I'm starting to like these season openers!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Bummer. I have a Fiji dollar coin that looks in that shape.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Coppers?! Wow... I had no idea that coppers were ever worth enough to counterfeit! What were they made out of?

Iron Buzz, counterfeit coppers could be constructed of many types of metals and combinations of metals. A few of the counterfeit coppers I dug have VDIs quite a bit lower than the genuine article. Many King George II half pennies were counterfeited as were Connecticut coppers. I guess if you counterfeited enough of them you could make a nice profit. I have a CT copper and a KG farthing counterfeit that were very crudely cast (most fakes are cast) and easy to see they are counterfeits, but a couple of other coppers are harder to tell that they are fakes. But counterfeiting coppers in the colonial era was a big business.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks like pewter. Interesting find!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was just pointed out to me that what I have is a half dollar, not a quarter. For what that's worth. Its still counterfeit. Not sure if a counterfeit half is worth more than a counterfeit quarter, but either way, I'm thrilled with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread