Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of a sudden my HF coil refuses to link up. The controller still shows it there, but there is no sound. The LED doesn't go through its little mating dance when I try to connect either. I do see the coil icon on the controller and it looks charged (it will look discharged when it isn't connected, I think).

Nothing happened that I'm aware of to account for this. It was fine one day, and not the next.

Any thoughts? I inspected the wire where it goes into the coil and where it goes into the battery and all appears well. I'm bummed because I'm about to hit an 1850's homesite with old artifacts and a blitz of square nails.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lack of sound is the only symptom? Do you hear anything if the external speaker is used? Is the coil symbol showing up on the puck? A friend of mine had a similar situation recently and he had snagged the puck on something and pulled it loose.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lack of sound is the only symptom? Do you hear anything if the external speaker is used? Is the coil symbol showing up on the puck? A friend of mine had a similar situation recently and he had snagged the puck on something and pulled it loose.

Using the WS5 phones,so no puck. I see the coil icon on the remote though. And the large coil works fine. I'll probably have to call Moe tomorrow, but thought I would first see if anybody had any diagnostic ideas, or had seen a similar issue.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But you are getting a coil icon when you have the HF coil selected in the coil menu, not "no coil". That is strange, sounds like the coil is at least partially alive. I have only seen an HF coil die "all the way" such that you get "no coil". Is the coil heartbeat light blinking on the coil itself? Does it go solid when you put it on the charger? The only other thing I could suggest is breaking and remaking the connection to the external battery to see if that does anything. Good luck. The 11" can get it done even in those site conditions.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the coil heartbeat light blinking on the coil itself?
No

Does it go solid when you put it on the charger?
Yes

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the coil heartbeat light blinking on the coil itself?
No

Does it go solid when you put it on the charger?
Yes

That is a bad battery connector most likely, then. Get in touch with Moe.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is my suspicion as well. Even after charging for a couple of hours, it is still showing only 2/3 of a charge.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a bad battery connector most likely, then. Get in touch with Moe.
Have they changed their support procedures? I waited around for an hour later than I wanted to so I could call as soon as they opened. I got ahold of someone promptly at 8am and expected to be patched through to Moe or Howard or somebody that could help me, while I was still around the house with my equipment in case he wanted me to try something out.

But instead, this person just took my information and told me that someone would be getting back to me. It is now two hours later, still waiting around the house and no call.

I sure hope this is not the new policy. I want to be out detecting, or running errands so that I can go out detecting, and not waiting around for someone else's convenience!

(sorry for the rant)

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have they changed their support procedures? I waited around for an hour later than I wanted to so I could call as soon as they opened. I got ahold of someone promptly at 8am and expected to be patched through to Moe or Howard or somebody that could help me, while I was still around the house with my equipment in case he wanted me to try something out.

But instead, this person just took my information and told me that someone would be getting back to me. It is now two hours later, still waiting around the house and no call.

I sure hope this is not the new policy. I want to be out detecting, or running errands so that I can go out detecting, and not waiting around for someone else's convenience!

(sorry for the rant)

Update: Not a new policy, but apparently Moe does his repairs in the morning, in another building where they can't forward calls to him, and does support in the afternoon. That's fine, except that I intend to be out in the middle of a cornfield this afternoon.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
unfortunately sometimes it is what it is. sure hope that it gets taken care of quickly for you.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... its going back to the shop. Moe says its either the battery or the wire. I love my Deus, but I've already had to return a set of WS5s and my controller for repair, and now the HF coil. Not happy about that, XP.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a bad run of equipment issues. Hope XPA gets your HF replacement coil back to you fast.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a bad run of equipment issues. Hope XPA gets your HF replacement coil back to you fast.
I'm sure they will. I forgot to add that I also had to return the first HF coil because I bent those fragile gold pins when trying to put it together.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you back in business now?

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i had an issue with my 9" lf coil and talked to Moe about it 2 weeks ago. it's not my place to say why but Moe is now only working 2 days a week. that is really going to place a lot of strain on Detector Electronics because there just isn't anyone that can take his place. i think things are going to be tuff there, and for us, for a while without him being there full time.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gene for the update on Moe.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope everything is good now.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope everything is good now.

If this was for me, yes... thanks. Moe changed out the battery and got it back to me in record time, and it has been working well since then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread