Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to my permission for about two hours this morning. They had just recently (2 1/2 weeks ago) cut the very tall and thick grass. Been waiting for this since last summer. Problem- it has rained hard like 3 or 4 times for several days a t a time. Bummer, grass is over a foot tall already and very wet. So, I hit the shortest areas as best as I could. I usually dig any repeatable targets in this area and so I did except I was using 54 Khz. Everything hits higher with the higher freq but I stopped at every target and both looked at the VDI numbers as well as hit it with 28 and 14 Khz. The 54 definitely hit harder on numerous targets, especially smaller ones and small foil. Some of the targets actually got hit and miss with the lower freqs. I dug only one super green no date wheatie at around 6 inches and it was a solid hit with all but the 54 still seemed louder. I dug a rough nickel, Jefferson at 7 1/2 inches. Really expected it to be a buff in the mixture of clay and dirt and was surprised that it wasn't. Pretty much, when the tone would switch from one tone one direction to slightly different from the back swing, it was trash but I dig all at this place. I also dug numerous cans, can tops and a couple tabs. I managed to find a cool rectangular watch, the rusty hand imprints still read 12:55. The 54 Khz hit higher on both tones and numbers, a tab would be in the 80s. I dug several mid 90s that turned out to be usually round iron but I dig all here. As tiny and small as some of the foil was, the 54 Khz shouldn't have any problem with a small thin gold chain. Between the rain and working on my father's house, my hunting has been and will be limited. Love this HF coil...Jerry

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry - great writeup! Especially like that little tidbit about tone switch on the backswing. It is a subtle thing and many would just note a repeatable tone and dig with their hopes up. You were going to dig it anyway, but with practical expectations. That keeps the disappointment factor low. Unrealistically high expectations tend to knock folks off their game or just makes for a disappointing day. Great job, you are really becoming one with that HF.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is easy to be in such a hurry that you miss little things like that but I was trying very hard to stay focused on the tones ( and not forget what my plan was in the 1st place.} on some of the foil, they hit pretty good but were hit and miss or hit one way only except on the highest freq where they were banging solid.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you had an informative hunt! Jerry, you seem to be one with the machine...keep up the great work!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice post Mr. Looter.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jerry - great writeup! Especially like that little tidbit about tone switch on the backswing. It is a subtle thing and many would just note a repeatable tone and dig with their hopes up. You were going to dig it anyway, but with practical expectations. That keeps the disappointment factor low. Unrealistically high expectations tend to knock folks off their game or just makes for a disappointing day. Great job, you are really becoming one with that HF.

This is an awesome post v. So true! I've learned that a huge part of this is a mental game. Just think. How many times have we went into a spot with a good attitude and pulled out targets we never thought we would? Happened to me a few times. when you're frustrated the concentration just isn't there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread