Got the Nox 600 and it is ok but definitely not a Deus

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Nox a couple days ago. I'm on my 3rd season with my Deus, and know it quite well. My early experiences with the Nox show me that it will be another tool for certain situations. I tried to use it on a street tearout and really missed my Deus. On the other hand, I took it to a park that is so loaded with bottlecaps and pulltabs that the Deus drives me crazy. I have found a few coins in there over the years, but thought that I had already found them all. Tonight, I dug 7 more, in about an hour. Nothing great, but the Nox picked them out, and it did not drive me nuts.

(on another note, I came home tonight to see my neighbor out tinkering in his front yard with his AT Pro. He's been doing this for three years... small suburban yard. He had dug all sorts of stuff out of it over that time, but in 5 minutes with the Nox, I had a Washington sales tax token.

At the risk of repeating myself, again (lol), from above, that is exactly how I see it. There are circumstances where the Equinox will excel over the Deus, (wet salt sand and surf, fresh water hunting), circumstances where the Equinox might have a slight edge (being able to get a TID deeper in mineralized ground), and places where the Deus will excel vs. the Equinox (super thick iron with the HF elliptical coil). The Deus travels easier than the Equinox and I can certainly swing the Deus for hours on end vs. the Equinox. In most cases, either will get the job done. They compliment each other and I am certainly not giving up my Deus for the Equinox. But if the Equinox were my only detector, I could live with that, especially at that price point. Most of my other VLF detectors are going bye, bye. Will also hang on to my PI detectors, because they can go really deep in mineralized soil relic hunting (at least as long as my shoulder will hold up). So yeah, right tool for the job.

Have been focusing on learning the Equinox for the past couple of months and getting some swing hours in with some decent recoveries, but was able to swing the Deus only for a few hours this weekend at a hard hit private permission in Gettysburg and the old Deus magic was still there with a few bullets, including a dropped Enfield, couple of fancy flat buttons, and a strange, probably modern medallion. Cool knowing basically exactly when the fired and dropped bullets went into the ground since there was only three days in July exactly 155 years ago when CW period lead was flying around the town. Over 7 million rounds were expended during the three days of battle!

Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom line is for me I dig more junk with the dues and it is irritatingly noisy . It is light , fast and I have found good things with it . It is not a junker and I am keeping it mostly for my mom weight wise . She just can not swing anything else for long . Crown caps and deep rust are problems for me .

The equinox is killing it for me . Having multi IQ this morning I found a 1930s sterling silver remington typewriter pin back that is smaller than a dime , really about half the size of a dime and then I hit a mens gold wedding band and the an all brass women's belt buckle . From super small scale to large I hit it all in one swing with out changing frequencies . I use what is working and the equinox is working very well . I have started to find deeper coins mostly wheats , IHP and silver dimes . I do not know what it is with silver dimes but I have found like 16 of them , some to nine inches .

The only complaints I have are the shaft wobble and where the heck is my six inch coil . I do not hunt fresh or saltwater .

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom line is for me I dig more junk with the dues and it is irritatingly noisy ....

See, for me... I love to hunt farm fields where old homes used to me. So there... "junk" is the stuff I'm looking for. Sure, old coins and tokens are often found amidst the "junk", but I want the "junk" too, when I'm hunting those sites. I do NOT want the junk when I'm hunting a modern park.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Buzz, you and I do the same thing. A "park machine" is great if you dig parks. If you're looking for relics, it's a whole different ballgame. This year my hunting partners and I walked onto three colonial homesites no one had ever found before. I dig junk. Most of my junk is monetarily worth a lot more than a silver quarter or half! IQ won't help you in the detecting style I do. I tried parks last year but found it utterly boring and there were some really odd characters at each, the kind you might not want to turn your back on. Two of them almost grabbed a ladies' purse till they saw us watching them. No thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread