Someone Talk Me Out Of Selling My 9" HF Search Coil

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you even think of selling it? Need the money?

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So a HF coil is no good at coins ?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would you even think of selling it? Need the money?
No that's not the reason, I don't see any need to let it set there and collect dust since I don't hardly ever use it. Maybe I'm missing something.

So a HF coil is no good at coins ?

The HF search coil doesn't hit all that hard on silver, it's more weighted towards low conductors.

tabman

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old sites looking for relics with little to no modern trash is where the HF coils shine.....if you are a coin shooter by all means sell it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crusader is still using his 11 inch LF coil and I believe 3.1 or 3.2 Version and keeps killing it, e said that he was plenty happy with it. Smokythecat said that she smacked a silver Real pretty deep with her HF coil. But it all boils down to what your primary interest is and if something works for you. Confidence in something is everything, I wish you the best in whatever you do. I have done enough questionable things in my life that have left me with a few regrets. Good luck my Friend in your decision. Jerry

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would sell it then . Instead of buying the HF coil for the deus I bought the nox 800 . I got a new permission last week and spent that entire week with the nox there . I found a lot of goodies . I then went back with the deus LF coil today for three hours and could not find any coins at all or a target of worth . All junk bottle caps and pull tabs . Maybe take a look at the nox with the money you get back on the HF coil .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mine and haven't used the LF coil but one time since I got the HF coil. It will sniff out gold a lot better than the LF coil. If you don't want gold coins, by all means, sell it.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If youve got an equinox or other high frequency detector than really no need for it. My equinox hammers low conducters on relic sites but my deus 9” LF runs smoother in the iron

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader is still using his 11 inch LF coil and I believe 3.1 or 3.2 Version and keeps killing it

Wow...with his Roman sites and all those tiny gold coins I'm really surprised he doesn't have one....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If youve got an equinox or other high frequency detector than really no need for it. My equinox hammers low conducters on relic sites but my deus 9” LF runs smoother in the iron
Agreed! Hard to beat a XP Deus in heavy iron!

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking to pick up the 9” HF myself. Looking for small gold. [emoji3]

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mainly a silver coin hunter and prefer the LF search coil. I do great with the HF search coil at finding nickels using 28kHz.

tabman

The HF coil can be run down to 13 kHz which is smack dab in the middle of the LF coil frequency range. Never saw much depth advantage at 8 kHz vs. 12 kHz on the LF coil, and 4khz was locked at TX power of 3. The HF coil is shielded better against noise than than the LF coil and, unlike the LF coil, the HF battery is user replaceable. I believe XP also has plans to make future Deus performance enhancements built around firmware upgrades to the HF coils.

Bottom line: As far as I'm concerned you can effetively get deep silver at 13 - 14khz on the HF coil, but retain the flexibility of being able to use the higher frequencies for mid conductors or high trash areas as the situation requires. I haven't put my black LF coil back on the Deus since I got my HF last year but keep it around as a backup in case of coil failure or as a "second" detector since one coil can be paired with the remote and the other with the wireless phones, effectively creating two detectors. (Got an extra "stem" unit since I initially purchased the Deus Lite package)

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Tabman, I'll try to talk you out of selling it.

Don't do it.

Did my dazzling debate style sway you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread