Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some of you may have already seen this video but I just watched it. it is by Gigmaster on YouTube using and water proofing his deus. He is using coax to do it but it is pretty clean and cheap to do. it is for shallow water hunting which for the most part, is all that I can do these days. I would post the link but I don't know how to, somebody else might do it though. it is a pretty slick set up and the remote is protected by the phone case which most have seen. DL

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
The main problem the correct ground balancing when i freshwater hunting with Deus. On sandy bottom no problem, but gravel and volcanic mud is big problem. I found lot of nice yellows with deus, the HF coil very well to find small gold pieces and chains.

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
The Deus was my main freshwater machine in last years. The Gigmaster antenna placing solution not bad if you no go deep. I always use my remote in water, wear on lanyard because i go neck deep water. I think important to able see the XY sceen on remote it’s helps a lot.
I bought an Equinox to saltwater hunting and secondary freswater machine (i do rarely saltwater hunt).
I put in that machine 40-50 hours in water but didn’t found any gold yet. I reading forums, watched videos, read Clive’s book and learning continuosly. I hope the luck will come..

Last edited:

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering getting a Deus and was wondering what its depth limitations are ? Is it only the coil that is waterproof ? Thanks in advance

thanks, appreciate it. sounds like you have managed to get some water hunting in. I guess that black sand may be volcanic as well, don't know. the gravel makes me wonder why.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
ctdirtdigger,
Yes the coil is waterproof, but the remote is not.
The remote needs a waterproof container and coax cable to make the Deus a water machine.
The two communicate wirelessly so once the coil is underwater the signal needs the coax cable to "hear" the signal.
Watch Timmysys' Video he posted and you will see how it's done.
I have pretty much the same setup and it works great.
The Deus is a hard machine to beat in the dirt and with the waterproofing a good one there too.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ctdirtdigger,
Yes the coil is waterproof, but the remote is not.
The remote needs a waterproof container and coax cable to make the Deus a water machine.
The two communicate wirelessly so once the coil is underwater the signal needs the coax cable to "hear" the signal.
Watch Timmysys' Video he posted and you will see how it's done.
I have pretty much the same setup and it works great.
The Deus is a hard machine to beat in the dirt and with the waterproofing a good one there too.

yes, he put in the video for me. it was the one that I watched

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried my Deus in the water(brackish) last year. I was always scared of getting remote wet and sometimes its difficult to maintain radio connection with coil. Kinda chatty too. Ive since got an Equinox 600 and it performs flawlessly for water hunting. Maybe I didnt give the Deus more of a chance but it wasn’t designed for water use

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried my Deus in the water(brackish) last year. I was always scared of getting remote wet and sometimes its difficult to maintain radio connection with coil. Kinda chatty too. Ive since got an Equinox 600 and it performs flawlessly for water hunting. Maybe I didnt give the Deus more of a chance but it wasn’t designed for water use

Agree. While it can be done, there is a lot of effort to make it work in the water and in brackish or salt water, it is really chatty an near unusable. Freshwater, it works fine, but you still have to add the antenna claptrap. Note that while the remote needs to be protected from water (encased in a waterproof enclosure), the WS4 backphone puck is fully submersible (not true of the WS5 phones) and you don't need the remote with you if you hunt by tones alone. That all being said, if I were starting from scratch without the Deus and seriously considering frequent salt or freshwater hunting, I would seriously consider an Equinox 600 or 800 as a cost effective alternative.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wasn't aware that the WS4 backphone puck was fully submersible. I'm glad I didn't sell it now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WS4 is so much more versatile than the WS5 (including being able to attach it to 3rd party over the ear headphones), stem or wrist mounted & connected to wired phones (with a $20 plate adapter and accessory mounts) and attached to the backphones, including being waterproof, that it is easily my choice over the WS5.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread