is it just my imagination or is the latest deus coils and updates impact not as big?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess that I was expecting or hoping for more than what came out this last time. maybe the HF coils and the 4.1 spoiled me but with some of the hype, I was hoping for something even better for the existing HF coils. I don't have the deus pin pointer so the 5.0 or 5.1 don't seem to offer me anything of much value. Am I missing something here? Like several others, I have both the deus as well as a NOX and I like them both. with the 6 inch coil being offered in the NOX, it tremendously has lightened the coil versus the 11 inch and seems to do an awesome job of separation. Surely Deus will step up and make a smaller coil as well. Even if they aren't able to do a multifreq coil or a better waterproof version, a smaller coil would help big time (at least I think so.) Just wondering

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that I was expecting or hoping for more than what came out this last time. maybe the HF coils and the 4.1 spoiled me but with some of the hype, I was hoping for something even better for the existing HF coils. I don't have the deus pin pointer so the 5.0 or 5.1 don't seem to offer me anything of much value. Am I missing something here? Like several others, I have both the deus as well as a NOX and I like them both. with the 6 inch coil being offered in the NOX, it tremendously has lightened the coil versus the 11 inch and seems to do an awesome job of separation. Surely Deus will step up and make a smaller coil as well. Even if they aren't able to do a multifreq coil or a better waterproof version, a smaller coil would help big time (at least I think so.) Just wondering

Good points - I too am a little underwhelmed, but as far as small coils are concerned, I really like the Deus elliptical coil. The width makes for great confined space swinging while retaining the depth and coverage of the round coil in a slightly lighter package (basically, why DD elliptical coils are so great). I think it has even better separation in some cases (if you run it at its highest frequency which at close to 80 kuz is almost 2 times higher than the Equinox max frequency of 40khz) than the 6" Equinox coil, but need to sit down and see Calabash's head to head tests to come to my own conclusion. Really wish ML comes out with a small elliptical for the Equinox. But I digress, this is about the Deus.

As far as the new software is concerned 5.X does not bring a lot to the table for the users of the HF coil and the legacy LF coils. One thing it does bring is the ability to adjust more user parameters if you are just using the headphones and not the control box. This is geared more towards the Deus lite users and the European users who typically only use the remote for programming the coils. They don't look at TIDs and are just basically digging all non-ferrous targets. They have very little non-ferrous trash in the farm fields of the UK, that if it rings up as something other than ferrous, they dig. So since they leave the remote in the car or whatever, having the ability to adjust more of the user settings like iron volume, audio response, reactivity, and frequency offset are helpful to the UK hunters and Deus lite users. The wireless pinpointer has been notoriously fickle on connectivity with the coil and so 5.X fixes that even more than what was done in version 4.1.

The main thing with version 5.X is the new hardware - namely the new LF coils which will replace the legacy LF coils which will be phased out of production by this fall. The new X35 LF coils have some great features including addition of a higher frequency (27.7 khz max) and a lower low frequency of 3.8 khz with 3 other base frequencies in between. No longer will frequency shift result in locking of Tx power at 3 so this allows a lot of frequency adjustment without TX power penalty. This is especially welcome news for the 4 KHZ low frequency band. Now this coil can be used for deep silver penetration in highly mineralized soils since you can now back off on Tx power which does not work well at high settings in mineralized soil. In addition, XP has added TX power BOOST at these lower frequencies which may further increase silver detection depth in mild soils vs. what can be achieved today with the legacy LF coils. So if you are a deep silver seeker the new coils may be a great addition. If I could have just 2 XP coils - I would probably choose the 9.5" elliptical HF and the 11" round X35. If I could pick one more coil, it would be the 9" round HF.

Was really hoping for something to help in wet salt sand, I do not see these new offerings bringing anything to the table there, so I am sticking with the Equinox at the beach.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good points - I too am a little underwhelmed, but as far as small coils are concerned, I really like the Deus elliptical coil. The width makes for great confined space swinging while retaining the depth and coverage of the round coil in a slightly lighter package (basically, why DD elliptical coils are so great). I think it has even better separation in some cases (if you run it at its highest frequency which at close to 80 kuz is almost 2 times higher than the Equinox max frequency of 40khz) than the 6" Equinox coil, but need to sit down and see Calabash's head to head tests to come to my own conclusion. Really wish ML comes out with a small elliptical for the Equinox. But I digress, this is about the Deus.

As far as the new software is concerned 5.X does not bring a lot to the table for the users of the HF coil and the legacy LF coils. One thing it does bring is the ability to adjust more user parameters if you are just using the headphones and not the control box. This is geared more towards the Deus lite users and the European users who typically only use the remote for programming the coils. They don't look at TIDs and are just basically digging all non-ferrous targets. They have very little non-ferrous trash in the farm fields of the UK, that if it rings up as something other than ferrous, they dig. So since they leave the remote in the car or whatever, having the ability to adjust more of the user settings like iron volume, audio response, reactivity, and frequency offset are helpful to the UK hunters and Deus lite users. The wireless pinpointer has been notoriously fickle on connectivity with the coil and so 5.X fixes that even more than what was done in version 4.1.

The main thing with version 5.X is the new hardware - namely the new LF coils which will replace the legacy LF coils which will be phased out of production by this fall. The new X35 LF coils have some great features including addition of a higher frequency (27.7 khz max) and a lower low frequency of 3.8 khz with 3 other base frequencies in between. No longer will frequency shift result in locking of Tx power at 3 so this allows a lot of frequency adjustment without TX power penalty. This is especially welcome news for the 4 KHZ low frequency band. Now this coil can be used for deep silver penetration in highly mineralized soils since you can now back off on Tx power which does not work well at high settings in mineralized soil. In addition, XP has added TX power BOOST at these lower frequencies which may further increase silver detection depth in mild soils vs. what can be achieved today with the legacy LF coils. So if you are a deep silver seeker the new coils may be a great addition. If I could have just 2 XP coils - I would probably choose the 9.5" elliptical HF and the 11" round X35. If I could pick one more coil, it would be the 9" round HF.

Was really hoping for something to help in wet salt sand, I do not see these new offerings bringing anything to the table there, so I am sticking with the Equinox at the beach.

I have just within the last several months bought the Deus 4.1. I have about 30 hrs. on it and still learning from you guys and videos. Really like the machine. I mainly use the LF coil mostly in 8khz and some in 12, but my question is, for mild soil conditions as I have here is this the right coil for deeper targets or should I use my HF round coil which I understand is for more mineralized soil say in 12khz? Thanks in advance.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just within the last several months bought the Deus 4.1. I have about 30 hrs. on it and still learning from you guys and videos. Really like the machine. I mainly use the LF coil mostly in 8khz and some in 12, but my question is, for mild soil conditions as I have here is this the right coil for deeper targets or should I use my HF round coil which I understand is for more mineralized soil say in 12khz? Thanks in advance.

If your soil is mild, the deepest for silver is 4 khz on the legacy LF coil. I rarely have used that frequency though because it is more susceptible to EMI which is prevalent around here (power lines and home wifi) and it shouldn't be used in highly mineralized soil because TX power is locked at 3. Since I got my HF round coil, I use 14 khz (it can be lowered to 13 khz) for general coin shooting and 28 khz for relic hunting mid-conductive targets. I frankly have not used my LF coils since getting the HF coil last summer because it is more noise immune (even at 14 khz) vs. the LF coil and with 14 khz, 28 khz, and 56 khz, it pretty much covers the bases for me vs. the LF coil. It makes a great all purpose coil for high and mid conductors and small jewelry.

So what I am saying is that if you use the HF coil at 13/14 khz your depth performance on high conductors should be about as good as using your LF coil at 8 or 12 khz, but if you want to go deep on high conductors and don't have mineralized soil or high EMI, then 4 khz is your best bet. 28 khz on the HF coil is best for mid-conductors and nickels as far as depth is concerned.

HTH.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If your soil is mild, the deepest for silver is 4 khz on the legacy LF coil. I rarely have used that frequency though because it is more susceptible to EMI which is prevalent around here (power lines and home wifi) and it shouldn't be used in highly mineralized soil because TX power is locked at 3. Since I got my HF round coil, I use 14 khz (it can be lowered to 13 khz) for general coin shooting and 28 khz for relic hunting mid-conductive targets. I frankly have not used my LF coils since getting the HF coil last summer because it is more noise immune (even at 14 khz) vs. the LF coil and with 14 khz, 28 khz, and 56 khz, it pretty much covers the bases for me vs. the LF coil. It makes a great all purpose coil for high and mid conductors and small jewelry.

So what I am saying is that if you use the HF coil at 13/14 khz your depth performance on high conductors should be about as good as using your LF coil at 8 or 12 khz, but if you want to go deep on high conductors and don't have mineralized soil or high EMI, then 4 khz is your best bet. 28 khz on the HF coil is best for mid-conductors and nickels as far as depth is concerned.

HTH.

Thanks,
Probably will do some test holes with the HF and compare LF, 4khz verses HF 12khz.:icon_thumright:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a lot of coins on relic sites in 7kh on the LF coils. That coil with that freq will kill coins.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
>>The wireless pinpointer has been notoriously fickle on connectivity with the coil and so 5.X fixes that even more than what was done in version 4.1.

Now, that is something I wasn't aware of! Might be worth updating after all (for me). I have retired my XP pinpointer after finding that even 4.1 didn't really fix the connectivity issues for me. Might have to give it one last try with 5.0.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>The wireless pinpointer has been notoriously fickle on connectivity with the coil and so 5.X fixes that even more than what was done in version 4.1.

Now, that is something I wasn't aware of! Might be worth updating after all (for me). I have retired my XP pinpointer after finding that even 4.1 didn't really fix the connectivity issues for me. Might have to give it one last try with 5.0.

Yep, make sure it's 5.1 not 5.0. I think they tweaked pinpointer connectivity further in 5.1. Good luck. Hope it fixes it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread