Looking for another detector to join my Equinox 800.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think if you have a Equinox 800 and a Deus you can’t go wrong. The 800 I find it hard to determine a iron falsing from a iffy Capped Bust half dime both hitting at bouncy 20-21. Is the Dues better at letting me know it iron with a grunt or some other sound? The 800 doesn’t even have a overload. Thank you.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it handles iron better.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus/800, That's the combo I use. I think a Deus with a HF & LF coils and a 800 with a stock and 6" coil are a hard combo to beat. IMO there is no better detector to use in the thick iron then a Deus with a HF elliptical coil. I usually always get a nice iron buzz with the Deus. I will say that occasionally a round rusted bottle cap may sneak thru as a good target but nails, wire and foil almost always sound off as trash. I very seldom hunt areas that are loaded with rusty bottle caps, but there are plenty spots that contain tons of nails.

Lil bit

Aug 27, 2018
Abes Space
Detector(s) used
ML. 705 X-terra
ML. Explorer SE Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my 2cents....
I've used a ml explorer Se Pro for quite sometime.First of the year I had a little
detecting money put back was lookin at the new nox and the deus.
Think the Ole Man helped me decide I chose the Deus,I have not regretted it
That machine has simply amazzzed me....Once you understand the tones
and changed up the settings alitte that machine will simply walk the dog!!!!!
reactivity is out of this world.
Lil bit

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus/800, That's the combo I use. I think a Deus with a HF & LF coils and a 800 with a stock and 6" coil are a hard combo to beat. IMO there is no better detector to use in the thick iron then a Deus with a HF elliptical coil. I usually always get a nice iron buzz with the Deus. I will say that occasionally a round rusted bottle cap may sneak thru as a good target but nails, wire and foil almost always sound off as trash. I very seldom hunt areas that are loaded with rusty bottle caps, but there are plenty spots that contain tons of nails.

That’s it then.....IT’S DONE.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CTX and 800 the only combo needed... :)

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the nox 800 and the deus with the new x35 coils. For me in my Ohio dirt I can't put down the deus. It's an amazing detector. It's King in iron and like others have said you can hear the iron buzz .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hear the iron buzz on the Equinox just as good if not better than the Deus. Truth, frankly, in trying to help you with your Equinox struggles over the past several weeks regarding iron falsing, I am fearful you may be headed for additional frustration with Deus, and that is coming from someone who assists teaching folks how to use the Deus in formal classes. Don't expect miracles vs. the Equinox. That being said, I agree the Equinox and Deus are a killer, complimentary combo. If you do decide to take the Deus plunge, your timing is pretty good. I suggest you look for folks who are trying to dump the Deus for Equinox or who are trying to sell the old Deus LF coils for cheap as the new X35 coils have hit the street. The key is to not overly invest your cash in Deus until you are sure it is the rig for you. See if you can find a friend who has one and knows how to use it to let you borrow it (let them borrow the EQX, lol) to see if it's for you. Deus really inspires a love or hate response in folks because it is so different from traditional VLF detectors. HTH.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I love my Deus since we're talking brands. It takes a while and I'm still learning but it's hard to beat on deep targets. Lots of custom programs for your different sites.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you sold your other detectors ?

Davers I sold my ATP, Max and F75. The 800 isn’t the answer for all, I need a back up, but I need something light and my other detectors needed those big coils to go deep. I detect too much for that, so my obvious 2nd has to be the almighty Deus.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Deus since we're talking brands. It takes a while and I'm still learning but it's hard to beat on deep targets. Lots of custom programs for your different sites.

Yeah it’s kind of the wrong time to learn another detector, especially when I’m still learning the 800, but I’m getting the 800 enough, plus that’s just how I roll :laughing

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can hear the iron buzz on the Equinox just as good if not better than the Deus. Truth, frankly, in trying to help you with your Equinox struggles over the past several weeks regarding iron falsing, I am fearful you may be headed for additional frustration with Deus, and that is coming from someone who assists teaching folks how to use the Deus in formal classes. Don't expect miracles vs. the Equinox. That being said, I agree the Equinox and Deus are a killer, complimentary combo. If you do decide to take the Deus plunge, your timing is pretty good. I suggest you look for folks who are trying to dump the Deus for Equinox or who are trying to sell the old Deus LF coils for cheap as the new X35 coils have hit the street. The key is to not overly invest your cash in Deus until you are sure it is the rig for you. See if you can find a friend who has one and knows how to use it to let you borrow it (let them borrow the EQX, lol) to see if it's for you. Deus really inspires a love or hate response in folks because it is so different from traditional VLF detectors. HTH.

V I totally respect your opinion and yes if I can’t steal one I don’t need it. I gotta get one as a steal so if it’s not for me I can dump it and brake even. Don’t give up on me just yet. Plus if I do get one I’m gonna ask you to PM me your secret programs that genius brain of yours has figured out. It’ll be no problem:)))))

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the nox 800 and the deus with the new x35 coils. For me in my Ohio dirt I can't put down the deus. It's an amazing detector. It's King in iron and like others have said you can hear the iron buzz .

I need that buzz in my life basstracker. I’m just having trouble deciphering a iffy 21 that has been a bust half dime in iron and a iffy 21 that a high pitch falsing on just iron and you know I have to dig it. All my half dime and half reals are all in iron. Uggggh

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my 2cents....
I've used a ml explorer Se Pro for quite sometime.First of the year I had a little
detecting money put back was lookin at the new nox and the deus.
Think the Ole Man helped me decide I chose the Deus,I have not regretted it
That machine has simply amazzzed me....Once you understand the tones
and changed up the settings alitte that machine will simply walk the dog!!!!!
reactivity is out of this world.
Lil bit

Lil bit I like your style and it sounds like the Ole Man knows what the hell he’s talking about. Wisdom is priceless and so is a Dad.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not giving up on you sir, it's just that I consider the Equinox a great value based on what it can do for the price and I am not sure the price of the Deus has come down commensurate with its value vs. the Equinox. Just don't want you to pay a lot for something that is going to give you perhaps marginal benefit at first over what you have now. Calabash and some of the other advanced users here have really customized the Deus settings to suit their hunting objectives, so it has that kind of awesome flexibility. But the key to Deus is logging hundreds of swing hours to learn its language. That and the number of settings that can be customized to get to that level of performance is daunting to the Deus newcomer. That is why a number of people actually pay to take classes to learn how to get the most out of it and some just throw in the towel.

Just want to make sure the juice for you (Deus performance vs. your Equinox) is worth the Squeeze (additional cost and swing time commitment). If you pull the trigger on Deus, myself and the other users here can surely show you the ropes, no problem. Hope you can find a super Deus deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not giving up on you sir, it's just that I consider the Equinox a great value based on what it can do for the price and I am not sure the price of the Deus has come down commensurate with its value vs. the Equinox. Just don't want you to pay a lot for something that is going to give you perhaps marginal benefit at first over what you have now. Calabash and some of the other advanced users here have really customized the Deus settings to suit their hunting objectives, so it has that kind of awesome flexibility. But the key to Deus is logging hundreds of swing hours to learn its language. That and the number of settings that can be customized to get to that level of performance is daunting to the Deus newcomer. That is why a number of people actually pay to take classes to learn how to get the most out of it and some just throw in the towel.

Just want to make sure the juice for you (Deus performance vs. your Equinox) is worth the Squeeze (additional cost). If you pull the trigger on Deus, myself and the other users here can surely show you the ropes, no problem. Hope you can find a super Deus deal.

Go on EBay I the highest bidder at $703 for a 2 month old Deus plus lots of extras. It’ll probably go for $900 or so, but I won’t go higher. My mark is $600 or keep it, but 2 months old deserved a extra $100 to me. But if I don’t get this one I staying at $600 so I may never get one which is cool with me.

Man I’d love you meet you. I like and respect intelligent people that mastered their craft and I know for you I’d just trip you out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth - I would love to get down there and hunt with you and D. I know that it would be a whole heckuva lot easier to help you tweak your machine in person in the field than over this forum.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need that buzz in my life basstracker. I’m just having trouble deciphering a iffy 21 that has been a bust half dime in iron and a iffy 21 that a high pitch falsing on just iron and you know I have to dig it. All my half dime and half reals are all in iron. Uggggh

Yeah I've dug plenty of those amazing sounding targets with smooth clean tones. Just to find a nail or some other rusty item.. now my hearing is not the best so it may be my fault I'm not hearing that nox iron buzz sound.. I clearly hear it on the deus ... I may need more than a few months of using it.. don't get me wrong, the nox can locate really deep targets along with targets amongst the trash.. but with fewer ID numbers along with tones that just sound good on alot of targets I generally dig everything to be sure anyway..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread