11" LF Coil vs X35 9"

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presently using a 11" LF Coil with my Deus. Used exclusively for coin shooting - looking for separation and depth.
Any one have experience with what the gains will be if I switch to a X35 9".
The new coil is expensive and am not going to switch if I don't think there unless there is a significant gain for coin shooting.

My other detector is an Equinox 800 which I have been very happy with.

Thanks.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would give the X35 a little time to be out there. I believe Calabash has put a video out. I'm sticking with the HF. Love it.

OP
OP
D

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presently using a 11" LF Coil with my Deus. Used exclusively for coin shooting - looking for separation and depth.
Any one have experience with what the gains will be if I switch to a X35 9".
The new coil is expensive and am not going to switch if I don't think there unless there is a significant gain for coin shooting.

My other detector is an Equinox 800 which I have been very happy with.

Thanks.

Looking for separation and depth - generally you can't have both at the same time but if you are looking for a DEUS coil here is some input and how I would rank them:

9.5x5" HF Elliptical - gives you the 9" swing coverage of the 9" round but the swing separation of a 5" coil. Though its depth performance is a few inches less than the 9" round HF, its separation is great. And you can sacrifice some depth for even more separation precision for small, shallow mid-conductive targets by running it up to 74 khz (I call it the laser pointer in this mode). I like it a 28 khz as the best tradeoff between depth and separation but I am mostly doing relic hunting > it will still hit silver at moderate depths and even deeper at its minimum frequency of 13 khz

9" HF Round - Great all around HF coil- perhaps my favorite Deus coil - max high conductor depth at 13 khz, sweet spot relic/jewelry performance at 28 khz and will still hit silver at moderate depths (deeper than the elliptical) and you can get some higher separation of small, shallow targets at 54 khz max frequency though not as good as the HF elliptical.

9" X35 LF Round - I don't own it because I already own the 9" HF round which is somewhat redundant but the X35 will theoretically go deeper on high conductors than the 9" HF round because it can operate down to less than 4 khz and you can also now boost transmit power on the low frequency. It can also now operate up to about 26 khz. Right now, based on my experience with the 11" X35 (described below) I still lean toward the 9" HF round because it is less susceptible to EMI, I like the 28 khz performance, I like the HF external battery setup, and I do not think you gain a whole lot of depth at 4 khz vs. 13 khz with the same sized coil.

11" X35 LF Round - I know you didn't ask about it but I own it and it is OK. Does not blow my socks off like the 9" HF round did when I got it last summer (it basically obsoleted all my LF coils). But if I do want to go deep with the Deus on high conductors or maximize ground coverage it is my choice as it does go down to <4 khz with boost also and has the flexibility to go up to 26 khz now which I like. I still found it to not be as "precise" hitting on coins and smaller targets as my 9" HF coil and it is highly susceptible to EMI at the lower operating frequencies.

11X13" x35 LF Elliptical - Don't own it and don't ever intend to own it. Other than perhaps the additional couple inches of swing coverage, I see no reason to get this over the 11" x35 (same as the old 11X13 legacy LF elliptical). It is heavy and tends to torque the stock lower shaft, it is probably even more susceptible to EMI vs. the 11" or 9" coils and you will not get only miniscule depth increase vs. the 11" round because its an 11" wide coil (which determines depth performance). Obviously, it will have the worst separation and target ID performance of all the above coils in thick trash environments simply due to the greater number of targets that can appear under the larger coil area at any time.

To sum up:

I recommend the 9" HF coil as the best all around balance for depth and separation, my #1 Deus coil choice.

I recommend the 9.5" HF elliptical if you want separation with some drop off in depth performance vs. the 9" round, close second.

I recommend the 11" X35 LF if you want max depth performance and increased coverage. Great deep seeking compliment to any HF coil.

I recommend the 9" X35 LF if you decide you value the lower frequency operation over the HF options, but it is not as EMI "quiet" as the 9" HF round, nor does it separate as well because it is limited in freq. If you do not want to invest in either HF coil (not my preference), then this might be the coil for you.

Finally, I DO NOT recommend the 11x13 Elliptical. It's downsides (weight, cost, EMI susceptibility, lack of separation) outweigh the minimal depth and coverage advantage

OP
OP
D

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for separation and depth - generally you can't have both at the same time but if you are looking for a DEUS coil here is some input and how I would rank them:

9.5x5" HF Elliptical - gives you the 9" swing coverage of the 9" round but the swing separation of a 5" coil. Though its depth performance is a few inches less than the 9" round HF, its separation is great. And you can sacrifice some depth for even more separation precision for small, shallow mid-conductive targets by running it up to 74 khz (I call it the laser pointer in this mode). I like it a 28 khz as the best tradeoff between depth and separation but I am mostly doing relic hunting > it will still hit silver at moderate depths and even deeper at its minimum frequency of 13 khz

9" HF Round - Great all around HF coil- perhaps my favorite Deus coil - max high conductor depth at 13 khz, sweet spot relic/jewelry performance at 28 khz and will still hit silver at moderate depths (deeper than the elliptical) and you can get some higher separation of small, shallow targets at 54 khz max frequency though not as good as the HF elliptical.

9" X35 LF Round - I don't own it because I already own the 9" HF round which is somewhat redundant but the X35 will theoretically go deeper on high conductors than the 9" HF round because it can operate down to less than 4 khz and you can also now boost transmit power on the low frequency. It can also now operate up to about 26 khz. Right now, based on my experience with the 11" X35 (described below) I still lean toward the 9" HF round because it is less susceptible to EMI, I like the 28 khz performance, I like the HF external battery setup, and I do not think you gain a whole lot of depth at 4 khz vs. 13 khz with the same sized coil.

11" X35 LF Round - I know you didn't ask about it but I own it and it is OK. Does not blow my socks off like the 9" HF round did when I got it last summer (it basically obsoleted all my LF coils). But if I do want to go deep with the Deus on high conductors or maximize ground coverage it is my choice as it does go down to <4 khz with boost also and has the flexibility to go up to 26 khz now which I like. I still found it to not be as "precise" hitting on coins and smaller targets as my 9" HF coil and it is highly susceptible to EMI at the lower operating frequencies.

11X13" x35 LF Elliptical - Don't own it and don't ever intend to own it. Other than perhaps the additional couple inches of swing coverage, I see no reason to get this over the 11" x35 (same as the old 11X13 legacy LF elliptical). It is heavy and tends to torque the stock lower shaft, it is probably even more susceptible to EMI vs. the 11" or 9" coils and you will not get only miniscule depth increase vs. the 11" round because its an 11" wide coil (which determines depth performance). Obviously, it will have the worst separation and target ID performance of all the above coils in thick trash environments simply due to the greater number of targets that can appear under the larger coil area at any time.

To sum up:

I recommend the 9" HF coil as the best all around balance for depth and separation, my #1 Deus coil choice.

I recommend the 9.5" HF elliptical if you want separation with some drop off in depth performance vs. the 9" round, close second.

I recommend the 11" X35 LF if you want max depth performance and increased coverage. Great deep seeking compliment to any HF coil.

I recommend the 9" X35 LF if you decide you value the lower frequency operation over the HF options, but it is not as EMI "quiet" as the 9" HF round, nor does it separate as well because it is limited in freq. If you do not want to invest in either HF coil (not my preference), then this might be the coil for you.

Finally, I DO NOT recommend the 11x13 Elliptical. It's downsides (weight, cost, EMI susceptibility, lack of separation) outweigh the minimal depth and coverage advantage

Thanks. Very helpful. I'll keep reading reviews of the X35 coils.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great write up VF :) my man! Hope all is well and the silver and gold has been playing nice this summer. If your going to get one coil get the 9"X35 its hands down the best coil XP makes to date. Depth, separation and good ground coverage.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin - Quiet summer but looking forward to the fall! Hope you enjoy that new x35.

OP
OP
D

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw the Calabash video and am going with the 9" X35.
Thanks Calabash!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread