XP DEUS HIGH END NOTCH...

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash your 100% right. Again. Lol. I never notch high numbers but just wanna report the target I dug the other day. Had a decent week with some 1700's silver, 1864 2 cent, gold, silver half and some awesome buttons. Well the 1864 2 cent piece was very deep, close to 11-12" as it came in with a whisper with horse shoe only showing upper tiny corner. The vdi was solid 99 in all directions. I was using 11" x35 coil deep mode sensitivity 98 4kHz without boost.. ran smooth no chatter and with those settings found all of the goodies I listed. Great coil I'm very impressed.

IMG_20180930_180929.jpg IMG_20180929_121555.jpg IMG_20180929_124101.jpg IMG_20180929_132906.jpg IMG_20181002_135822.jpg

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing! Those are some killer finds!

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash your 100% right. Again. Lol. I never notch high numbers but just wanna report the target I dug the other day. Had a decent week with some 1700's silver, 1864 2 cent, gold, silver half and some awesome buttons. Well the 1864 2 cent piece was very deep, close to 11-12" as it came in with a whisper with horse shoe only showing upper tiny corner. The vdi was solid 99 in all directions. I was using 11" x35 coil deep mode sensitivity 98 4kHz without boost.. ran smooth no chatter and with those settings found all of the goodies I listed. Great coil I'm very impressed.

View attachment 1640198 View attachment 1640199 View attachment 1640200 View attachment 1640201 View attachment 1640207

Wow!!! Super killer finds man!!! Congrats... and I just got my 11"x35... looking forward to trying it out along with the new elliptical coil...

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started with the Deus I would Notch, lesson was learned quick! Do NOT notch, hear everything and let the brain decide what to spend my time digging

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed that high end notch just causes you to miss targets. I used to believe in it early on, but realized the downside over time. About the only time I use any filtering is to put in disc to avoid ferrous down-averaging and even then I want to hear the iron with iron volume. Good advice, Calabash.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V a guy needs your advice on that tough thread I started.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also for people that use any disc.. tonight I got a hit with an ID of 15 on my nox.. solid all the way around. Lots of iron sound. My buddy with his deus could not hit the target, nothing. I learned he had used disc in between 55 and 72 on his deus. Target was a Mercury dime surrounded by nails. Solid 28 out of the hole and deus picked it up easily once out. Folks be careful using any disc. Pay attention to Calabash vids when he says it reads 7 in the ground but maybe 15 once out..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also for people that use any disc.. tonight I got a hit with an ID of 15 on my nox.. solid all the way around. Lots of iron sound. My buddy with his deus could not hit the target, nothing. I learned he had used disc in between 55 and 72 on his deus. Target was a Mercury dime surrounded by nails. Solid 28 out of the hole and deus picked it up easily once out. Folks be careful using any disc. Pay attention to Calabash vids when he says it reads 7 in the ground but maybe 15 once out..

He must have set a notch there (which is just an audio blanker vs. a ferrous discrimination filter) because you can't set disc up that way on the Deus (it can be set that high but it always starts at -6.4). In any event whether it was notch or disc, he was certainly taking out a lot of potentially good targets with such an aggressive notch. If just dialed in a little discrimination to about 10 or so (to prevent ferrous down averaging) he should have been able to pick up that dime. Really not a fan of blanking out anything in the non-ferrous range except I wholeheartedly endorse it for anyone who is detecting at the same site as me. Lol.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes notch/ disc same thing in reality as those targets were silent . I usually don't get extremely technical but looks like I may have to so I don't get called out. I understand the difference I was only simplifying .. however my point was he Notched out that section of numbers thinking he was eliminating aluminum junk... I have never used more than 10 disc and usually 5 or 6 on my deus. But that's the way he was hunting and he missed the dime and however many other good targets using that notch setup.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I never notch my Deus. Hardly ever go over 7 disc. Programs can change that slightly on the disc. But never over 10.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes notch/ disc same thing in reality as those targets were silent . I usually don't get extremely technical but looks like I may have to so I don't get called out. I understand the difference I was only simplifying .. however my point was he Notched out that section of numbers thinking he was eliminating aluminum junk... I have never used more than 10 disc and usually 5 or 6 on my deus. But that's the way he was hunting and he missed the dime and however many other good targets using that notch setup.

Agree in this case, but since they are very different and have a very different impact on the detector it is important to be clear in the terminology. Notch set from 0 - 55 has a much different impact on Deus performance than Disc 0 - 55 (I'm also simplifying here, lol, since the lower end of the ID range is actually -6.4 with version 4.0 software and above). High discrimination settings can have an impact on depth performance and mixed target up/down averaging for targets with ID's OUTSIDE of the DISC range. Furthermore, iron volume can be used to hear targets that fall within the discriminated range. Notch is merely an audio blanker and supposedly has no impact on depth for non-notched targets and iron volume is ineffective for audio signal determination within the notched range (unlike disc). In the example you cite, if the guy was using disc over the entire range, then he might have been able to hear the dime using Iron Volume (though it may have sounded like "iron").

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree in this case, but since they are very different and have a very different impact on the detector it is important to be clear in the terminology. Notch set from 0 - 55 has a much different impact on Deus performance than Disc 0 - 55 (I'm also simplifying here, lol, since the lower end of the ID range is actually -6.4 with version 4.0 software and above). High discrimination settings can have an impact on depth performance and mixed target up/down averaging for targets with ID's OUTSIDE of the DISC range. Furthermore, iron volume can be used to hear targets that fall within the discriminated range. Notch is merely an audio blanker and supposedly has no impact on depth for non-notched targets and iron volume is ineffective for audio signal determination within the notched range (unlike disc). In the example you cite, if the guy was using disc over the entire range, then he might have been able to hear the dime using Iron Volume (though it may have sounded like "iron").
I don't need to clear the terminalogy .. don't disc or notch if you wanna find the goods.. I'm not a noob. Been doing this since the 70's and have used most machines. Are you calling me out because you think I'm uneducated or to make yourself look better? Just curious. I'm a simple guy and really don't care if you wanna get technical but would that not be better served on a new subject? Like before calling me out for not being so technical just wait to see if people start having questions over my comments then start a new thread? Lmao. Obviously my buddy didn't hear the dime due to whatever was in the ground with the dime, like 7 nails, was pulling the id down into the NOTCH range he was using.. same as my nox as it registered 15 . I read what you said to my buddy. He laughed .. he just took my advice and removed all his notched out numbers and lowered disc.. he don't care about the technical stuff. I do honestly but don't usually bring it up much as my buddies just wanna hunt and find goodies.. V I do read and like your posts and feel they are informative but just wonder why you feel the need to try and enlighten me on the way detectors work..

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time that notching helped me was when I was using the LF coils at 8kHz or 4kHz. Conductivity is so spread out at low frequencies. Notching the high and low ends would help with EMI and cherry picking on hunts with very little time. Otherwise I don’t see any good reason to use notching. Especially with the HF coils. It’s fun to go back and cleaning out those sites with the HF coils.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need to clear the terminalogy .. don't disc or notch if you wanna find the goods.. I'm not a noob. Been doing this since the 70's and have used most machines. Are you calling me out because you think I'm uneducated or to make yourself look better? Just curious. I'm a simple guy and really don't care if you wanna get technical but would that not be better served on a new subject? Like before calling me out for not being so technical just wait to see if people start having questions over my comments then start a new thread? Lmao. Obviously my buddy didn't hear the dime due to whatever was in the ground with the dime, like 7 nails, was pulling the id down into the NOTCH range he was using.. same as my nox as it registered 15 . I read what you said to my buddy. He laughed .. he just took my advice and removed all his notched out numbers and lowered disc.. he don't care about the technical stuff. I do honestly but don't usually bring it up much as my buddies just wanna hunt and find goodies.. V I do read and like your posts and feel they are informative but just wonder why you feel the need to try and enlighten me on the way detectors work..

Yep, sorry if it came off as preachy. Wasn't trying to be or to call you out specifically as I gathered you know the diff, I was posting for all the lurkers who don't post and ask questions but try to get all the information they can off these boards so they can attempt to learn how to use this fairly complex detector better. It's not about you but for them so they don't go off mistakenly thinking the two settings behave the same. I think I have a pretty good handle on these machines, but still manage to learn a ton off these boards as long as the info is accurate, so that is why I DO pay attention to the terminology and to try and explain the why's behind the whats. Based on the PM thanks and post likes I receive, I think most people are appreciative and get something out of than get annoyed and offended so I am going to keep trying to contribute and learn and hopefully not get too many people bent out of shape when I do it. One of the few times I've torqued someone when we are both in agreement over the issue (i.e., don't notch) but as Abe said, you can't please all the people... Thanks and I'll try to remember to steer clear of the third rail next time. Lol. HH (and fishin' in your case), Bill.

Vf

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Basstrackerman, that was a great example of the dangers of using Notch. And it doesn't just impact the numbers you notch out. The notch isn't that crisp and will affect VDIs outside both edges of the notch...especially on weak signals. And V, I always appreciate you taking the time to break things down and explain some of the more technical aspects of the subject matter.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with Jeff H! I've learned so much from Vf as he does make the tremendous effort to thoroughly explain every issue. His writing is incredible, and a perfect match to CD's incredible videos. We are very lucky to be the recipients of their valuable efforts!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post. Never notch. Most times, in my area anyway, flat iron will read 92 for what ever reason but it definitely has a tone all its own that I can distinguish from a true 92 goody.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread