My new X35

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Got my X35 coil all charged and programed.
Using Calabash diggers pitch program.
Thought I would take it out in the trash pit of a yard I have and give it a shot.
I've run a few different brands of detecter here and I must say the DEUS is the only one that can put targets.
I ran it for a short time and pulled the usual trash... square nails, bits and pieces of lead and tin.
I was hoping for that ahh haa moment, but well not so much...
I like the feel of the coil and will be learning the new nuances.

I did get a few better targets that will go I my display.

Got a nice little lead seal it's about the size of a US dime that says CASCADE on both sides.
And a Chinese cash coin.. Emperor SHENG TSUAD 1662-1722
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 61

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at getting the 9" X35 coil here real soon. I just recently got a Deus and have been trying the pitch program. Have to say I really like it and with the higher freq on the X35 I'm hoping for a few of those ta da moments you speak of. GL & HH ......

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it took me maybe 40 hours before I got the ah ha moment...lol... but I'm slow. stick with it and it'll make sense.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds HD, I love my X35 and just now learning the Pitch program, but like what I've seen so far!!! "D"

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just keep at it, like CB says, the subtle nuances can take a little while to learn. good luck, can't wait to see what you find

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been using a 13” X35 for hunting in my big fields. Still love using the 9” too though. Im a disciple of full tones zero disc. Ill move on to another site before I try tweeking programs to eek out another find or two

Last edited:
OP
OP
HuntinDog

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Thanks for the replies guys...

Toasted
I live on this site so I've hunted it with all kinds of detecters and I just got the X35 so why not give it a shot.
Pitch seemed to "squeak" out a few targets that I've walked over a LOT, so I'm game to learn it.
The only way to learn a new detecter or program is to get out there and use it.
I hope to do just that.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys...

Toasted
I live on this site so I've hunted it with all kinds of detecters and I just got the X35 so why not give it a shot.
Pitch seemed to "squeak" out a few targets that I've walked over a LOT, so I'm game to learn it.
The only way to learn a new detecter or program is to get out there and use it.
I hope to do just that.

Been using a 13” X35 for hunting in my big fields. Still love using the 9” too though. Im a disciple of full tones zero disc. Ill move on to another site before I try tweeking programs to eek out another find or two

The key to pitch is the discrimination which unlike 0 disc full tones helps to prevent ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous targets while still enabling you to hear iron. Pitch allows all non-ferrous to jump out from the iron audio. You just can't set up full tones to behave that way as there is no iron audio in full tones so you can only run it at zero disc if you want to hear iron. Problem with full tones is that some keepers get pulled down into single digits or low teens and become hard to audibly differentiate from true iron. I still have full tones 0 disc in a custom slot but find myself rarely using it now.

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
Have used a Bounty hunter "Lone Star," Tesoro "Cibola." I now use an XP Deus.
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The key to pitch is the discrimination which unlike 0 disc full tones helps to prevent ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous targets while still enabling you to hear iron. Pitch allows all non-ferrous to jump out from the iron audio. You just can't set up full tones to behave that way as there is no iron audio in full tones so you can only run it at zero disc if you want to hear iron. Problem with full tones is that some keepers get pulled down into single digits or low teens and become hard to audibly differentiate from true iron. I still have full tones 0 disc in a custom slot but find myself rarely using it now.

I'm the same way. I pretty much use pitch everywhere. The only time I use full tones is in a "clean" field (which I'm RARELY on), or coin shooting at the parks.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agree 100%
HOWEVER
I have had some good results with the following settings in super think iron and trash pits
sens- 87
TX - 3
Tones - Full
DISC - 8
freq - 25khz or higher
GB - Manual (per site, normally 84-87)

Makes me wonder does using pitch have a different filter running? Are you starting out with the pitch program and then making a custom program built off pitch?
Goldfield is also pitch correct? Has anyone tried running goldfield with the discrim-5 and trying to make it like a pitch program?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree 100%
HOWEVER
I have had some good results with the following settings in super think iron and trash pits
sens- 87
TX - 3
Tones - Full
DISC - 8
freq - 25khz or higher
GB - Manual (per site, normally 84-87)

Makes me wonder does using pitch have a different filter running? Are you starting out with the pitch program and then making a custom program built off pitch?
Goldfield is also pitch correct? Has anyone tried running goldfield with the discrim-5 and trying to make it like a pitch program?

To be clear I DO NOT use the Pitch program that comeS built in to the remote. I build all my programs off Deus Fast only, primarily because I always want to default with silencer off (-1). Silencer at any level can inadvertently cause non-ferrous target masking in the presence of iron (one-way hits or worse). All the non-gold field program other than Deep use the same signal processing filter (including Deus fast and Pitch). Deep uses a signal processing filter from Deus ver 2.X software that can enhance deep targets under certain conditions but is very chatty in the presence of small iron. All programs other than Deep and Gold Field are just variations of the same program with different user settings. Like I said, I always start a custom program from Deus Fast, in this case I simply change the Disc to 7.5 from the default of 6.8 and change tones from 3T to Pitch. That's it. I run sensitivity higher or lower as necessary and run reactivity between 2 and 3 (typically keep it a 2.5), again with silencer at -1.

I don't doubt the above program will kill it in a trash pit. I use Deus like a pinpointer on steroids in that case and any tone mode will do for me (full tones, pitch, multi tones). Full tones does a great job at 0 disc and will work similar to pitch in with disc at between 6.5 to 10 (the max disc I ever run). Problem is when I am searching in thick Iron (other than in a pit), I want to have some iron volume as a reference to tell me if I am getting into a bed of nails situation which is tell tale of a hut, dwelling, or trash pit. Full tones does not have iron tones with discrimination above 0 so I feel like I am flying blind. Therefore, I only use full tones with 0 disc. If I have disc cut in to take advantage of what disc brings to the table (as I described above) I am using either pitch or (rarely) 5 tones with iron volume at 2 or 3.

Regarding Gold Field - I use that mode too but it is a lot noisier than pitch because every tiny bit of iron in the ground gets detected. It does not have a traditional discrimination circuit, it is an all metal mode that uses a form of iron rejection called Iron Amplitude Rejection discrimination which simply tries to clip the peaks of what it thinks may be iron signals resulting in choppy audio when you pass your coil over a ferrous target. On the other hand, being a true all metal mode versus the normal "discrimination" modes, it can sometimes punch deeper through mineralized dirt. Problem is, you do not get the filtering advantage of the normal discriminating modes so your target ID may be more susceptible to ferrous down or up averaging of non-ferrous targets. Also, Gold Field uses a ground grab technique for ground balancing and also reactivity operates a little differently in Gold Field mode, plus there is no silencer filter. Just another tool in the toolkit.

It's all about balancing the tradeoffs between the strengths and weaknesses of the different modes and tone settings and choosing the best one for the job at hand. Sometimes, that requires a little bit of experimentation in the field to see which one is working the best and also don't be afraid to interrogate a target with different modes or different frequencies to see how it responds.

HTH

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Two questions regarding the pitch program.
You guys recommend the P program in heavy Iron,but how those it do in a site
Littered with garbage?
With full tones and -2.5 disc I can tell when a target is a bottle cap vs a button or coin.
Can pitch decipher pull tabs,foil and bottle caps from the good targets?
At the other end of the scale,do you recommend this program for wooded areas
that are clean of trash?
Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two questions regarding the pitch program.
You guys recommend the P program in heavy Iron,but how those it do in a site
Littered with garbage?
With full tones and -2.5 disc I can tell when a target is a bottle cap vs a button or coin.
Can pitch decipher pull tabs,foil and bottle caps from the good targets?
At the other end of the scale,do you recommend this program for wooded areas
that are clean of trash?
Thanks

Basically, no. I use pitch to unmask non-ferrous from ferrous. For modern trash or just plain field or woods hunting then a multi tone or full tones program is fine. Personally, I just continue to use pitch because I am used to how it works, but if you really want to know what you have, most of the time you have to look at the display. If you use tone ID vice pitch then that is usually not necessary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread