Who is the King in iron?

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That HF elliptical coil just rocks it, V calls it the little "laser".

Smokey,

I've read about the HF Elliptical coil in some of your previous post, as well as some mentions by VF and CD and one day I'd love to try it out, but beings I just got my Deus X35 with the 9" coil, I'm going to follow CD's advice and get some hours on the machine before buying your "Laser" coil, but I sure love hearing and seeing all the great finds your making with it!!!

"D"

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possum, I have had a lot of machines with more than one coil and what I have done with the Deus is I sold the one that came with the machine, and only have the 9" elliptical coil now. It snakes in and out of corn rows very well, I found a few Civil War relics due to that capability and gets in tight places. In a wide open field it does well also as on the vertical axis it still give you a 9" wide area to swing over. With the Deus' extremely light weight, I extend the lower rod almost all the way out, walk slow and nail some nice relics with it. Good that way at the beach also.

I talked to a few people about getting an x35 but after those discussions, I decided against it, at least for now. The only machine I really saw a big difference in changing out coils was with my Tesoro Vaquero. With the larger coil I could get a lot deeper and dig minie balls in the bad Virginia ground, but once we moved into the camps, we lost the advantage with the big coil-too much iron.

I think the 9" is giving me adequate depth. I may try running a lower frequency soon. (Like in about 3 hours from now.) I have picked up non ferrous objects 9" to almost 18" but the larger depths are a rarity with the 9" coil. The 18" deep one (an estimate), was the cover to the 18th century locking tobacco box I got a week ago in good ground.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't say enough good things about either Deus HF coil. Pulled the following out of the nasty stuff with the 9" round. including the Eagle button out from between those two embedded hot rocks, a percussion cap, some grommets, and a lot of camp lead large and small. The non-corroded but distorted square nails were telltale of the firepits that contained all that camp lead and glass shards (not shown). The fire anneals the iron and makes them less susceptible to corrosion. The big iron pot hook was an example of a keeper "big iron" relic.

You need to find the "right" iron to know where the non-ferrous keepers are, that is why having iron volume with discrimination in either pitch or multitones (vice full tones) is key in these conditions.

20190107_220519.jpg

20190107_220557.jpg

20190106_174047.jpg

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure am goad we don't have that electric red dirt here but we have something much worse right now....frozen ground. Has anybody tried the new xp machines ?

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ORX is supposed to come today. I will be testing it immediately to see if XP sprinkled any "fair dust" on the controller programming to get better performance than the V5.2 or whatever the latest update version is on the Deus. As far as the Elliptical Coil, some of you already know that I am a big fan! It is my go-to coil. However, the Round Coil is great too. The big advantage with the HF coils is the high frequency and blazing fast processing of the signal. I have also recently dug non ferrous items like flying eagles that were completely encapsulated by rust and surrounded in the hole by a layer of iron. I couldn't even get them completely cleaned. The Virginia button, same thing completely encapsulated in iron rust and the HF coil smacked it. Smokey, what is your method for cleaning crusty rust off of stuff?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ORX is supposed to come today. I will be testing it immediately to see if XP sprinkled any "fair dust" on the controller programming to get better performance than the V5.2 or whatever the latest update version is on the Deus. As far as the Elliptical Coil, some of you already know that I am a big fan! It is my go-to coil. However, the Round Coil is great too. The big advantage with the HF coils is the high frequency and blazing fast processing of the signal. I have also recently dug non ferrous items like flying eagles that were completely encapsulated by rust and surrounded in the hole by a layer of iron. I couldn't even get them completely cleaned. The Virginia button, same thing completely encapsulated in iron rust and the HF coil smacked it. Smokey, what is your method for cleaning crusty rust off of stuff?

So what's the verdict? Very interested in the opinion of an expert Deus user who has actually operated the ORX, which I have not.

I have formed my opinion solely from analyzing the specs and Gary's videos. From this, I have concluded the Deus already does what ORX does and does it better. Gold Field on ORX appears to be the same as Deus. Coin/relic mode appears to be bare bones that is limited to three tones in the coin/relic mode with no audio modulation to give a sense of target depth (I noticed how Gary was struggling to get a handle on depth on his recoveries in his promo video). The headphones cannot be used standalone from the controller and its priced about the same as a complete used Deus setup. I do like the Target ID display and visual iron indicator on the display and the ground grab method of ground balancing (which is how Gold Field works in the Deus btw).

Three tones is fine (I can probably live without 5 tones or full tones), but lack of tone break adjustments or pitch audio are non-starters AFAIC.

My verdict is pass at the advertised price point.

If it was priced as is but included a choice of two Deus coils, that would be a great deal.

Let us know what you think and if you did detect any XP fairy dust. Thanks.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what's the verdict? Very interested in the opinion of an expert Deus user who has actually operated the ORX, which I have not.

I have formed my opinion solely from analyzing the specs and Gary's videos. From this, I have concluded the Deus already does what ORX does and does it better. Gold Field on ORX appears to be the same as Deus. Coin/relic mode appears to be bare bones that is limited to three tones in the coin/relic mode with no audio modulation to give a sense of target depth (I noticed how Gary was struggling to get a handle on depth on his recoveries in his promo video). The headphones cannot be used standalone from the controller and its priced about the same as a complete used Deus setup. I do like the Target ID display and visual iron indicator on the display and the ground grab method of ground balancing (which is how Gold Field works in the Deus btw).

Three tones is fine (I can probably live without 5 tones or full tones), but lack of tone break adjustments or pitch audio are non-starters AFAIC.

My verdict is pass at the advertised price point.

If it was priced as is but included a choice of two Deus coils, that would be a great deal.

Let us know what you think and if you did detect any XP fairy dust. Thanks.

I got it out of the box last night and paired it up with head phones, coil and pinpointer. I went outside my hotel room to a grass side strip and dug a zinc penny. First impressions were that it was very simple to set up, not many adjustments or settings can be customized as you mentioned above. IMO the coin fast and coin deep programs are a version of the Hot Program. I need to test its limits to see if there is an advantage over the XP Deus in performance. So tomorrow I will be conducting some tests in my test garden and on a tough site. There seem to be no way to adjust GB, Iron Vol level, or tone pitches. I assume that the Silencer is stuck at -1, since you don't have the option to change it. You can change sensitivity, frequency and reactivity within the programs. I will let you know the results and have some videos either tomorrow night or Saturday sometime.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, heat up some regular hydrogen peroxide and when heated, drop your VA red dirt goodies in it. It will clean them within a minute. No time wasted with brushes.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smokey, do you guys ever try sifting the dirt in those super trashy spots you dig? Not exactly easy on the back but I just wonder if it would be any more efficient vs beeping. Then after getting down a shovel blade you could detect that lower level? Just curious

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we have dug some places like that, but use a big magnet and pinpointers to find the stuff. A screen can rip the shanks off Civil War buttons.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it out of the box last night and paired it up with head phones, coil and pinpointer. I went outside my hotel room to a grass side strip and dug a zinc penny. First impressions were that it was very simple to set up, not many adjustments or settings can be customized as you mentioned above. IMO the coin fast and coin deep programs are a version of the Hot Program. I need to test its limits to see if there is an advantage over the XP Deus in performance. So tomorrow I will be conducting some tests in my test garden and on a tough site. There seem to be no way to adjust GB, Iron Vol level, or tone pitches. I assume that the Silencer is stuck at -1, since you don't have the option to change it. You can change sensitivity, frequency and reactivity within the programs. I will let you know the results and have some videos either tomorrow night or Saturday sometime.

I hope silencer is stuck at -1 (i.e., off) and doesn't adjust automatically with reactivity behind the scenes. Note the ORX also doesn't appear to have auto ground tracking.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, heat up some regular hydrogen peroxide and when heated, drop your VA red dirt goodies in it. It will clean them within a minute. No time wasted with brushes.

Great tip. Thanks!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean I'm tipsy? Why are we up this late? I for one had a happy nap today! Retirement is ruining my internal clock.

Lil bit

Aug 27, 2018
Abes Space
Detector(s) used
ML. 705 X-terra
ML. Explorer SE Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post smoke...Question If I might=Just recently i picked up the hfe love the hfr anywho with the smaller foot print what might be runin your reactivety at as a rule Iwould imagine swing speed can keep you in check somewhat..to get that--yea/naw response..Thanks in advance...Happy trails L>b.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Smokey
I learned long ago that the Deus was the king in the iron.
When I can pull a target from the iron like this.
The Chinese coin was attched to the iron plate at 6" !!

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HuntinDog, that's why I still have the machine. The little monster rocks.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokey
I learned long ago that the Deus was the king in the iron.
When I can pull a target from the iron like this.
The Chinese coin was attched to the iron plate at 6" !!

way cool, awesome job. CB's pitch program?

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Dirtlooter
I found this one way back.
Even before CD or V started usuing Pitch.
Back then my go to was Deus Fast.
I knew then this was a machine I would have for a loooong time.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well that was as awesome as it can be for big iron and a good target. that brings a big smile to your face when you realize what you just did :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread