Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Who is the King in iron?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18442 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)

Who is the King in iron?

Well my Deus with the HF elliptical coil thinks it is. I don't think anyone should buy any machine on hype, I have in the past and prefer not to again. Also, advertising can be misleading and nobody pays me to advertise for them. I got this machine because my dealer buddy whooped me real good two years ago with it! I knew I had to upgrade immediately! I'm glad I did. I have recently been kinda sorta looking around for a better back up machine, but nothing strikes my fancy right now. Oh well.

When I was out yesterday, I dug a Civil Union cuff button. It wasn't too deep, but was next to a tree. I was kind of surprised, kind of, when I finally got the first "cleaning" out the way a little while ago.

Out of the hole with the button came a nail and a couple 1" square pieces of Civil War iron ration can. That's not unusual for this worked out site. When I just started brushing the button, I had to laugh at the BACK of the button.

I have attached a couple pics, zoom in if you need to. That WAS NOT dirt stuck on the back, but part of the residue from the nail and ration can pieces it was adhered to. The iron has rusted ONTO the button. `Not the choicest eagle button ever, but I'll take it.

I also scratched the back to make absolutely sure it had a brass back, and it does. The button will need more cleaning, but really? Separation in iron? Been there, done that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1668587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	1668588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0142.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	1668589
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Jan 07, 2019 at 03:18 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI
    6929 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Deus HF coil is smokey….

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    18442 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    At first when my dealer friend showed me that machine, I nearly laughed out loud. That tiny little thing? It looked like a toy.

Then strike 2 was when he told me how much it was.

Strike 3 is when we put out a "test" garden with red dirt from Virginia and it wouldn't find the minie ball next to the two nails. He didn't have the machine set up correctly.

The home run came when he came to my house and in a real world test whooped me real good with it! Then I bought it. You should have seen me try to pay for it that afternoon, but I managed. That's why I keep telling folks to try to test drive any machine before you buy it. Even if you have drive a couple hundred miles to do it.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Jan 07, 2019 at 03:43 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI
    6929 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Deus has been very good to me..

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    18442 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Yes it has.
    calabash digger and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    20109 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very nice smoky I better get that Deus soon. INCOME TAX CHECK!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    18442 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Oh don't remind me about income tax! Your Equinox will do better in salt water. The Deus will do better in heavy iron. That HF elliptical coil just rocks it, V calls it the little "laser". Truth be told, har har har, I got to a site about 2 hours late on Saturday. There were already three experienced MD'ers there, so they had a good head start, and they had good machines. It was cloudy, but no rain. I went to the far left corner of the field, and got a lot of trash. Finally I meandered over to where they were, in between two of them I pulled out my poker chip Confederate I button. I spun in a few circles (detecting that is) and pulled out three more pieces of small CW lead. It started to rain and I was getting very wet very fast, they were all heading back to their cars also. It was SO WET and muddy, I dug a signal nearby as I started heading out and told my friend I had a brass whatzit but was so cold and muddy I didn't clean it till later and had the 2nd Block I of the day. That has never happened to me before! I can count all the Confederate buttons I have done on two hands and one foot! And don't need ALL the toes to do it! I have been digging since the 80's. I really don't know how deep the coil stacks up to other machines, however, sometimes it's the little laser, not the big broadcast cannons that do the trick. Or maybe just get the loop over the target and dig it. Not really sure on what happened Saturday. Last time I was at the site I got absolutely NOTHING good.

And don't get rid of the Equinox.

us
    Jan 2016
    Somewhere below the mason-dixon
    XP Deus- Garrett GTI 2500- Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
    1413 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    That's what I want is the XP deus but I keep holding out. I know my results could be better especially with the iron infested site I have.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    18442 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Bob sold me mine. He blew me away with it, prior to that I was not believing this stuff!

us
    Jan 2016
    Somewhere below the mason-dixon
    XP Deus- Garrett GTI 2500- Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
    1413 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Yep I bought my detector from Bob as well. Should of, could of, would of but....

us
    Miss Deus and I have a love hate relationship

Oct 2014
    New York State
    XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser and Dog fence lover) 9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 - Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
    380 times
    Metal Detecting
    best machine and coil in heavy iron?
    Dues with the Elliptical coil hands down!! I think it will beat the X35 in heavy iron as well, plus super light so I can carry it in my detecting book-bag that goes with me to all detecting locations.
    I need to start using the Dues as a tone ONLY machine (not using the remote LCD screen) after a few years with the Dues it's still tough picking out all the sounds it makes. I'm not talking about "solid" signals I'm talking about that 14K ring mixed in with 10 nails and 5 bottle caps

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    18442 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    One nice thing about the elliptical coil is you can snake it in and out of the corn stalks! It beats the snot out of larger coils under those conditions, and I recently realized it would read targets at the EDGE of the coil very well.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    10358 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    hard to argue with the proof. you are one with the Deus now and it shows! proof creates more confidence and thus, you hunt harder, longer (subject to body of course) and dig more targets that many avoid or just plain miss (due to that rusty material) You still rock Gal!
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    20109 times
    Metal Detecting

Who is the King in iron?

I dig more iron with the Equinox than I ever have in my life. I my iron field I canít determine if itís a iron false or a half dime mixed in iron nails. Iíve found all my half dimes and half reals in plugs with 6 nails, but they all sound the same as the plugs Iíve dug with just 6 nails and a false. So I dig it all.....it wears me out because I have to dig so much.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    18442 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    I can reasonably discriminate out the larger iron with the Deus. When first on a site, I dig some deliberately. In my Virginia horrid red dirt iron patch, I will still dig the half dollar sized pieces of tinned iron ration cans. Lots of times they will read as high tones. We're at the point we are looking for "real" targets between two or more "hot rocks" which make the machine scream. Now THAT's Hard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links