Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my Deus with the HF elliptical coil thinks it is. I don't think anyone should buy any machine on hype, I have in the past and prefer not to again. Also, advertising can be misleading and nobody pays me to advertise for them. I got this machine because my dealer buddy whooped me real good two years ago with it! I knew I had to upgrade immediately! I'm glad I did. I have recently been kinda sorta looking around for a better back up machine, but nothing strikes my fancy right now. Oh well.

When I was out yesterday, I dug a Civil Union cuff button. It wasn't too deep, but was next to a tree. I was kind of surprised, kind of, when I finally got the first "cleaning" out the way a little while ago.

Out of the hole with the button came a nail and a couple 1" square pieces of Civil War iron ration can. That's not unusual for this worked out site. When I just started brushing the button, I had to laugh at the BACK of the button.

I have attached a couple pics, zoom in if you need to. That WAS NOT dirt stuck on the back, but part of the residue from the nail and ration can pieces it was adhered to. The iron has rusted ONTO the button. `Not the choicest eagle button ever, but I'll take it.

I also scratched the back to make absolutely sure it had a brass back, and it does. The button will need more cleaning, but really? Separation in iron? Been there, done that. IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus HF coil is smokeyโ€ฆ.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first when my dealer friend showed me that machine, I nearly laughed out loud. That tiny little thing? It looked like a toy.

Then strike 2 was when he told me how much it was.

Strike 3 is when we put out a "test" garden with red dirt from Virginia and it wouldn't find the minie ball next to the two nails. He didn't have the machine set up correctly.

The home run came when he came to my house and in a real world test whooped me real good with it! Then I bought it. You should have seen me try to pay for it that afternoon, but I managed. That's why I keep telling folks to try to test drive any machine before you buy it. Even if you have drive a couple hundred miles to do it.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus has been very good to me..

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it has.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh don't remind me about income tax! Your Equinox will do better in salt water. The Deus will do better in heavy iron. That HF elliptical coil just rocks it, V calls it the little "laser". Truth be told, har har har, I got to a site about 2 hours late on Saturday. There were already three experienced MD'ers there, so they had a good head start, and they had good machines. It was cloudy, but no rain. I went to the far left corner of the field, and got a lot of trash. Finally I meandered over to where they were, in between two of them I pulled out my poker chip Confederate I button. I spun in a few circles (detecting that is) and pulled out three more pieces of small CW lead. It started to rain and I was getting very wet very fast, they were all heading back to their cars also. It was SO WET and muddy, I dug a signal nearby as I started heading out and told my friend I had a brass whatzit but was so cold and muddy I didn't clean it till later and had the 2nd Block I of the day. That has never happened to me before! I can count all the Confederate buttons I have done on two hands and one foot! And don't need ALL the toes to do it! I have been digging since the 80's. I really don't know how deep the coil stacks up to other machines, however, sometimes it's the little laser, not the big broadcast cannons that do the trick. Or maybe just get the loop over the target and dig it. Not really sure on what happened Saturday. Last time I was at the site I got absolutely NOTHING good.

And don't get rid of the Equinox.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I want is the XP deus but I keep holding out. I know my results could be better especially with the iron infested site I have.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob sold me mine. He blew me away with it, prior to that I was not believing this stuff!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I bought my detector from Bob as well. Should of, could of, would of but....

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
best machine and coil in heavy iron?
Dues with the Elliptical coil hands down!! I think it will beat the X35 in heavy iron as well, plus super light so I can carry it in my detecting book-bag that goes with me to all detecting locations.
I need to start using the Dues as a tone ONLY machine (not using the remote LCD screen) after a few years with the Dues it's still tough picking out all the sounds it makes. I'm not talking about "solid" signals I'm talking about that 14K ring mixed in with 10 nails and 5 bottle caps :)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One nice thing about the elliptical coil is you can snake it in and out of the corn stalks! It beats the snot out of larger coils under those conditions, and I recently realized it would read targets at the EDGE of the coil very well.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hard to argue with the proof. you are one with the Deus now and it shows! proof creates more confidence and thus, you hunt harder, longer (subject to body of course) and dig more targets that many avoid or just plain miss (due to that rusty material) You still rock Gal!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig more iron with the Equinox than I ever have in my life. I my iron field I canโ€™t determine if itโ€™s a iron false or a half dime mixed in iron nails. Iโ€™ve found all my half dimes and half reals in plugs with 6 nails, but they all sound the same as the plugs Iโ€™ve dug with just 6 nails and a false. So I dig it all.....it wears me out because I have to dig so much.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can reasonably discriminate out the larger iron with the Deus. When first on a site, I dig some deliberately. In my Virginia horrid red dirt iron patch, I will still dig the half dollar sized pieces of tinned iron ration cans. Lots of times they will read as high tones. We're at the point we are looking for "real" targets between two or more "hot rocks" which make the machine scream. Now THAT's Hard.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig more iron with the Equinox than I ever have in my life. I my iron field I canโ€™t determine if itโ€™s a iron false or a half dime mixed in iron nails. Iโ€™ve found all my half dimes and half reals in plugs with 6 nails, but they all sound the same as the plugs Iโ€™ve dug with just 6 nails and a false. So I dig it all.....it wears me out because I have to dig so much.
Thats the Truth Truth.. I love the Nox but i understand the tones enough now on the Deus to dig minimal iron. The Nox is tough to understand in iron infested Cellars. Deus shine in those iron conditions.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about either machine...do NOT rely wholly on the VDI. Some aluminum trash (real heavy industrial stuff) in a field I was digging this weekend sounded off as a high tone and "83" on the Deus. The Confederate button also rang as a high tone as an "83". Dig it all. Wisely.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats the Truth Truth.. I love the Nox but i understand the tones enough now on the Deus to dig minimal iron. The Nox is tough to understand in iron infested Cellars. Deus shine in those iron conditions.

It starts to mentally break me down more than physically due to the New Orleans coffee with chicory. Dude otโ€™s like liquid meth. But the Equinox is a iron magnet. And you know I donโ€™t lie :)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can reasonably discriminate out the larger iron with the Deus. When first on a site, I dig some deliberately. In my Virginia horrid red dirt iron patch, I will still dig the half dollar sized pieces of tinned iron ration cans. Lots of times they will read as high tones. We're at the point we are looking for "real" targets between two or more "hot rocks" which make the machine scream. Now THAT's Hard.

But not impossible! As you know. Har Har.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No V, not impossible. But you did have to stand on your head to find that one. BTW try to make more NOISE in the woods next time we go out! It was hilarious. Even got the neighbor's dog barking at you! (I have permission from him from last year.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread